DirectBuy of Tidewater/Chesapeakeunable to cancel membership/reputable?

I

I am a disabled veteran, and a single mom. It is very discouraging that after going through two tours in a war zone, I have to be fighting in my own country for my rights as a consumer.

I visited DirectBuy of Tidewater, Chesapeake Virginia last Saturday, September 18th, 2010. I had taken my 13 year old daughter who was very excited about the savings we were going to have, with me struggling to provide financially.

Well there was a video presentation and a tour. When both me and my daughter was sat down with a lady named Kat. I told her that I don't think I will be able to afford the fee for joining, because I am in college, having a mortgage and my daughter, I am at my limit. I did comment that I am renovating my house, doing a lot of do-it-yourself projects in hopes of selling next year. Kat said it would be ok, they would work with me and that I should not worry. I did sign the paperwork, thinking that this is a company that has been in business for a long time, so they must be reputable.

I left and I thought about the financial struggles I already have, so I decided that this would not be the best thing for me. I tried calling on Monday, 20th, but there was a message that they were closed.

I tried again on Tuesday, 21st and spoke to Daria, I told her that I would like to cancel my membership, and she said the general manager, Mike Daly would call me back.

Well he did not, so I called the next day, Wednesday, 22nd and asked if there was any other manager I could speak to to cancel. Daria said that Mike Daly is the general manager and the only one that could cancel my membership, but he was with another customer.

I called back on Thursday, 23rd and finally got to speak to Mike Daly who said he would absolutely not cancel my membership. I was appalled to say the least.

I even went to DirectBuy address Saturday, 25th and spoke to Mike Daly face to face and he repeated what he said over the phone that he would not cancel my membership.

Now not only do I have to work 12 hour days Monday through Friday, I have to prepare to fight this company, so that my rights are not violated.

How could a company like this stay in business for so long?

I have been through Iraq, Kuwait, but I can surly say that I will fight this not just for me but my daughter. I work very hard for my money, these people can't even provide written prove of savings. How are they allowed to do this?

I thought here in America they have laws to protect the consumer?

• Ij
    i jeans Dec 07, 2010

most honest companies give you time to think it over after signing to cancel a contract and if you wish to do so they honor the request. ive been taken by some hudge companies that tacked on interest rates after the fact but i didnt notice till my cancel date was over my mistake. but if you decied the next day or do to cancel they should honor it.

Matty12 Jan 04, 2011

Direct Buy personnel are very assertive salesmen/women. Also a veteran and student, my husband and I did not want the $4999 or 5999 contract fee, the salesperson then insulted us by saying they could let us have "the renter's" fee. We are do it yourselfers. Their deals are not deals unless you need a contractor to do everything for you. When we turned them down, the salesman stated that we couldn't come back for 7 years - as if we'd commited a felony. I thought he was kidding. Nope. This guy was a former Navy officer. Navy person to Navy person and I was disgusted by his barely contained rudeness.

• Me
    Melissa Jackson Robinson Mar 10, 2011

Stealth, you are a real ack jass. And, EVERY contract has either a three or five day rescind option. Ingrid's big mistake was not going to the warehouse IN person to deliver a written notice that she was rescinding the contact. That would have eliminated the whole "he's not available, he'll call back" game. That manager was well aware of the rescind clause, and he expertly played the waiting game.

Ingrid, it's your word against theirs that you called everyday. Good luck with this. You're going to need it.

• De
    Deceptive Tactics Oct 28, 2013

Did you ever get this resolved? If so, how? If not, did you go to the attorney general's office and file a complaint? The are now known as DirectBuy of Hampton Roads. Anyone with issues with either one of these companies should file a complaint with attorney general. They lie about the savings you'll get and how you can't ever join if you turn them down. All lies. There contract even states that whatever they say should not be used in decision to join. Deceptive advertising and promotions are illegal. The government needs to shut these guys down.

not_important Mar 03, 2014

I have worked for this company as a sales director as well as a marketing associate (call center rep.) This company is full of it. They will not allow you to cancel your contract, poor management, and just don't care about people especially the general manager Mike Daly, he is a complete ###. A waste of your time and gas. The membership is 5k just to join and get all of the so called great benefits. No room for advancement and treat employees like ###. Imagine how you will be treated as a potential member.

• Mt
    MT1972 Aug 22, 2016

Why is there not a class action against them in Virginia or does anyone know?

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices