Devry Universityunfair billing practices

A

I graduated from DeVry University over a year ago, and last week, I received a bill for $3500 for outstanding charges to the University. First, the invoice failed to itemize what the charges were for or the original charge date. Second, DeVry won't issue a degree unless you have all of your outstanding balances reconciled before graduation. So why are they finding these mysterious charges now? Finally, DeVry is charging a late fee on top of a high interest rate and large monthly payments for this invoice. After writing a certified letter with evidence proving these charges false, they still have not returned any explanation to the bill. In the meantime, the interest and late fees are mounting up. If this is what they call alumni benefits, I'll pass.

• Mo
    Money Hungry Organizations Sep 29, 2009

I sympathize with you on the belated bills from DeVry. Not only was I foolish enough to complete an undergrad degree through DeVry, I continued and completed a Master's degree. What a true waste of time and money. The degrees are near useless. The job placement program is a farce and the finance offices are apparently filled with DeVry graduates as they do not know there ### from a hole in the ground.

Not only did I receive bills after I completed my degrees, I spoke directly to the dean of Finance and was fed a long list of lies and deceit. DeVry, in their lack of infinite wisdom and unethical practices, failed to apply financial aid to one of the semesters from a prior year. Naturally, they can't go back and request payment since the law does not allow this business practice. Well, I was shafted and had to pay the bill. As a matter of fact, I am still paying for their erroneous financial aid practices.

So, I do not recommend DeVry nor any of their associated business offices and representatives. The only true professionals associated with this failure of a university are a handful of professors. I wonder if they actual get paid for their time on a consistent basis?? I am sure that the greedy hoards of office and administration execs get their checks.

DO NOT ATTEND DeVry!!! You will regret your association with that system...Good Luck obtaining a job with a DeVry Degree!!

Jamesss Nov 11, 2010

This is another example of people not taking responsibility for their own commitments. If you get a degree from a university, you actually have to pay for it. I hear about this all the time. Get a life and pay your bills!!

• Ar
    aracana101 Nov 11, 2010

For the record, I do have a life, and I do pay my bills. Until this incident with DeVry, I was debt-free. All that I am asking is for the administrative staff to do their jobs. Instead they are exploiting students to pay for fees and late charges that never existed.

After further investigation, I found out that someone in Financial Aid returned my Stafford loan payment back to the lender instead of paying my tuition bill during my last semester at DeVry. The University denied any wrongdoing, but they finally waived the late charges after weeks of calling the office on a daily basis. I still had to pay for the outstanding tuition, though. Moral of the story: Don't assume anything, always check your statements, and pay cash as much as possible!

• Bo
    bort1870 Dec 02, 2010

I am now about leave devry university Istarted out a few months ago and went through the troubl of making sure I knew how much I would have to pay out of pocket and when I was told my student loans would be enuf accept for 870 some odd dollars 4 time a year wich was fine by me well now I have compleated one semester and the loan wich was 9500 which was suppose to a last a whole year is allready gone and insted of 870ish 4 times a year now they tell me i will have to pay 7200 a year out of pocket or 600 some odd dollars a month out of pocket to stay on course Im going to go to the state university now which is much cheaper 12, 000 a year vrs 24, 000 a year the point of my story is they will say anything to get you to sighn up then later on let yopu find out the reality that you are getting taken for a ride. I was told to expect not to worrie about paying to much out of pocket and that my loand would last up to su and such time and it was all lies. don't waste your money go some ware else, then again if your reading this you probably allready did waste you money at devry. thats how it happened for me.

• Ab
    Abusedstudent Oct 16, 2016

I was signed up for a class I completed 3 years ago, two weeks in I was called by the student advisor and told Decry would give me a grant for the class so I wouldn't pay twice for a class that would be redundant to my degree. The grant completed and the class was paid for them the grant fell out. I got a bill for 1778.49 . I was threatened and denied my transcripts and degree. Finally I was able to get the grant reinstated and my transcripts and degree came in the mail. Now 3 months later the grant has fell out again and my credit is being threatened. I receive harrassing calls and outrageous bills in the mail every week. These guys are a bunch of crooks.