Dell 42& Plasma Tvdefective tv, poor service

Dell inc.
www.dell.com
Dell 42"plasma tv

Dell (who knows where they are located, the customer reps are not allowed to tell you what country they are in).

In november of 2005, we purchased a dell 42" plasma tv through the dell website. Almost two months ago, and 7 months out of warranty, we started getting a horizontal line through the tv. It would come and go, so my husband tried running the conditioning on the tv. The horizontal line is now there all of the time, and has recently brought a friend with it. Now we have two horizontal lines that are there every time we turn on the tv. We contacted the dell forum moderator who had us do a lot of unplugging, and resets, ect.. On the tv. Nothing helped. He then advised us that we were out of warranty and that we should contact the "out of warranty" department. I did so. They said that for a meer $2199.00 we could send them our tv and they would send us a refurbished replacement with a 90 day warranty. The other option was for them to give me the number of the only company that would repair it, but I have learned that the cost to repair it is more than buying a new one. Ooooohhhhhh, how kind of them. I could buy a brand new plasma with a full one year warranty for that much money. So I asked for the address to the home office so that I could complain in writing, but the rep offered to transfer me to the real "out of warranty" department where they could allow me to speak to a manager. The manager was going into a meeting so I was told I would receive a call back in about an hour. 5 days later, I got a call from praveen (at least he uses his real name. Most of their customer reps use fake american names because they think americans are too stupid to know how to pronounce their real names). Praveen told me that since we had purchased 3 laptops, 3 desktops, an lcd tv, and 2 desktops for our shop that we are very loyal customers and he would allow us to only pay $1299.00, return our tv, and they would send us a refurbished one with a 6 month warranty. Ooooohhhh, how kind. I do not blame praveen for this as he is just doing his job. I am very angry at dell. Dell knows that this is a constant problem with this particular plasma. Shame on you dell. You should stand behind your products better than this. We have been very loyal customers for several years. We put up with your customer service reps that are extremely hard to understand. We put up with your sales people who tell you your getting one finance deal and then when the paperwork comes through it isn't what they said when trying to make the sale. This issue, I will not put up with. You need to fix or replace my tv. A tv that cost almost $3000.00 should not break after 17 months. I would like to hear from the other people that have had this issue.

• De
    Dennis Cooper jr Nov 27, 2015

My Dell 4201 plasma screen just went blank. Still have sound but picture is out. Double and blue light is the same. Like every body else. This tv cost way to much for a company I chose ove hp and many others. I'm going to contact the BBB and see what they say. Class action law suit I'm ready to be placed on top of the list. The first sign of my screen having trouble the decision 1 rep gave me the same drag and to make matters worse he drop my call after about 20 minutes of transferring through several personnel as I insisted on them getting some to help me with my situation. So to all Dell product holders join us and come forth if Dell product has went bad and Dell told u they couldn't fix the problem.

Class Action Law Suit sign me up

P.S. If anyone know shop that will repair a tv like ours within reason please email me [email protected]
    Also you can update me here if we have to petition this Action before the lawsuit goes in effect

• Ed
    ednell Jun 01, 2015

Someone applied for a loan to purchase 4 lap top computers from Del Financial Services using my SS # and my home addressw.

• Lb
    LB!1! Apr 04, 2013

Our tv did the same thing a horizontal line through the screen at first the it wouldn't cut on nothing but the blue light then the horizontal line it would come and go finally someone broke in the house and tried to steal it when it was to heavy for them they threw the tv in the middle of the living room cracking the screen that was a blessing we have a new tv from LG this time and I will never buy a Dell tv again

Annakin Mar 15, 2013

This may be coming in late to this convo, but I've had my Dell 42" plasma TV for 8 years with nary a problem ... until yesterday. We got home from being away for 4 months and ... well, you know the story. Black screen, sound ok, blue light on, sometimes the scratchy colored vertical smears down the entire screen. After turning it off and on numerous times, I got it to work long enough to access the menu and use the recondition (clean) feature. I ran it for an hour and a half ... it blinked a few times at the beginning, but then stopped acting up. As of now it's been on for several hours with no problem. I also have a fan that I have aimed at the TV. Here's hoping! Will write again if the problem recurs.

• Ne
    Nevada-Brad Nov 06, 2012

As a follow on my ailing Dell 42" TV. Since my TV sits on an open pedestal I places a medium sized house hold fan behind it. This has seem to solved the over heating issue, since doing this I have not had the TV loose the button half of the picture. But when it does and the fan is off. I turn the TV off, and start up the fan and after a few minutes the set is operational once again. I always figured it was an heat thing, since you could us the set and the heat coming from it to heat a small room.. Still sucks, have to listen to that low growl of the fan.

• Fm
    fmayen Nov 04, 2012

I have owned my dell 42 inch tv since 2005 and it works very well still and never had any big problems or repairs with it. Only thing that happened is the power button broke everything else that everyone is talking about is unheard of for me. Since all the new technology out now its a good bedroom tv

• Bo
    Boats247 Sep 03, 2012

I have the 42" plasma TV also. I bought the extended warranty with mine and had troubles right away so they sent me a refurbished TV not a new one like I ordered at first!.After having this TV for about 6mo. It died on me so they sent out another refurbished one. All because I had the extended warranty!. When that warranty ran out I extended it again knowing all the problems I had so far. Well about 9mo. later guess what? another flame out ! so they sent me another refurbished TV .Well now that the extended warranty ran out I'm having the same problems again!!! Now I'm on my own! .Wouldn't you think that after 4 TVs with the same kind of problems Dell would do something? They won't so save your call to them all you do is speak to some foreigner that gives you the run around. I did find a article on the web that said if you bang on the TV in the upper and lower corners this sometimes helps. So I thought I might as well give it a try!! it's the old American way right, just like the movie Apollo 13 !!! I have done this a couple of times and now its working!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway!!! You would think if Dell wanted to take care of their loyal customers They would do something about this and go after the manufacturers that made these sets for Dell. After all Michael Dell were the ones that made you a multi millionaire. This Co. reminds me of the Berny Ma doff pongee scheme only it's a Dell pongee scheme. And we all have to pay!!! While they count their $$$$$$$$

• Ne
    Nevada-Brad Aug 27, 2012

The Dell W4201C, has been an issue with my family since purchase. Within the first year under warranty they replaced it due to the HD portion of the unit failed. Now after being in storage for about two years . We unpacked it and after a few days it started with the bottom half of the screen going black... Dell shame on you for such a poor product... You too can fall because of your lack of product performance. Just a note: the tv we replaced was a twenty year old RCA console ... I do think a class action would be great...

• De
    Dell took my money Oct 19, 2011

I have the same issue, wow! First a line across the tv, then a delay when turned on then nothing! I called, and was referred to the out of warranty dept. to be told 260 just to check it out and 600-900 for shipping plus pay for parts. ANYONE THAT STARTS A LAWSUITE P L E A S E CONTACT ME! ([email protected])

• Ho
    homerr-1 Jul 28, 2011

dell tv's suck run, dont walk away from anyone trying to sell you a dell tv. they DO NOT stand behind thier products, and you WILL be sorry if you buy one..

• Ga
    garage Mar 23, 2011

like someone else said you where luckier than me my dell 42" plasma lasted exactly 1year and 1 week out of warranty i called there hot line and talk to a hand full of what they call support people that i did not understand and they told me more or less to bad and my company has purchase in the area of $100, 000 of dell computers if they can't stand by there product better than that they need to quite and if they can't build a monitor that won't last more than 12 months and 1 week they suck dell never again will i support your piece of [censor] company your warranty sucks just like you do.

• Me
    mechelle Herrera Mar 15, 2011

Same Here. Just 1 month past warranty. CLASS ACTION????????

• Da
    Dale555 Feb 21, 2011

I have a 4 year old Dell 42" Plasma TV and had several problems including HDMI flickering (unplug and restart fixes) Parental control acting without ever programming that feature, but I realized a long time ago that support was not a dell product. But today my plasma started burning, I could see through the grill at the top that the flame was down near the power input area. Just a a warning, If you start smelling an electral odor or burning plastic, unplug it. Do not leave this tv unattended.
    Dale

jan S C Dec 09, 2010

I just had a Dell tech here (replacing mother board on yet another Dell computer), and I asked him about our TV. The probem started when it would take 2-5 minutes for the Dell logo to appear. Then colored lines and now has a hard time starting up at all. He suggested the lamp (blub) that runs across the top and down the side were going bad and could be replaced. Have you come across anything regarding this? If so, is there a part #, or is this actually the power supply?
    I realize you posted 2 years ago, but our set is 4.5 yrs old ( I'm guessing we were one of the lucky ones) and I'm not ready to replace it yet! Would appreciate any suggestions or information you may have collected.
    Thank you, and did anyone every put together a class action suit?

Joe Bodia Oct 16, 2010

Any lawyer around here? a class action sounds like a good idea. I have the same problem with my 42" Dell TV . This is the second TV . I was lucky cause the first one I bought was still under warranty, but this one is gone also. Black screen . So I wish that there is a lawyer among us who is willing to make DELL pay for this deffective product.

• Ae
    aenelson Oct 11, 2010

i geuss i could add my wonderful story of dell to the rest i bought my tv summer 2007 with a 1 year extended within first 6 months a video jack went out the replaced my tv with a refurbished one no problems till this year summer 2010 my tv screen goes black no help from dell 3 hours bouncing from department to departm, ent to finnally be told i have to call out of warrenty care cent i do they tell me 1200 dallors just to ship my tv for them to look at it in ohio i live in ohio so i say i could deliver myself they say no you cant do that of course i cannot get a blue print from them nothing always deal with there customer service and tech support for hours never getting ne results isent there some type of lemon laws for tvs or at least that they must keep replacment parts my email is [email protected] if the lawsuit is in motion please include me these people need to get what is coming to them

• Je
    Jelic Jul 13, 2010

Wow I just Google this type of Tv and this is what came up. I guess I better start looking for a back up Tv soon, because I bought my Dell 42', 5 years ago and fortunately I haven't had any of the problems posted YET.

But I wont sleep on it now, considering that Dell don't even sell this product anymore. which makes it very suspicious.

Mike in NC Jun 08, 2010

to dell ( who, by the way has laid off a bunch of employees here in NC after sucking tax dollers to get them here, only to have the jobs shipped to mexico ) :

a $149 VCR or DVD is disposable electronics ... not a $3000 dollar 42 plasma TV.
    Very ticked off that they (dell ) will not service thier own product line . As for customer No Service -- This is the best product by far that dell can provide to its customers . I like people from other countries, been to other countries... but when I ask to speak to an American, I don't expect the customer service person to try and change their accent on my behalf ... grrrrr.

Like most cars, replacement parts are made available after a year or so of release to the public. Dell feels the need to polute our landfills with unservicable electronics -- one solution... quit supporting Dell electronics in total !
    I will not support dell -- They scr**ed our community, and this customer for the last time.

Chryslergirl May 09, 2010

We have an LG not sure who makes it, my husband had it when we got married I want to say this TV is about 3+ years and now we have a red line about an inch or so thick going down the left side of it, that stayed that way for about 3 months now, and now we have thin blue lines red lines and green line the other half is the TV picture, is this because its going out?

• Gr
    gronquip May 02, 2010

My Tv has a purple tint when its showing dark picture "like night time " if I put satalite Radio on I have a big purple circle. Most of the time TV is all right except dark scenes. If anyone has any info on problem please e-mail me. "[email protected]llsouth.net" Looking for a fix ???

john marks Mar 15, 2010

Same tv, same problem. A class action lawsuit is surely in order. Part of the settlement should be that Dell would have to post these complaints to everyone that visits www.dell.com

Mary Frances Studzinski Mar 08, 2010

Same here - Please include us in a class action law suit - [email protected]

• Vi
    VILLTWO Jan 29, 2010

W4201C
    typical start up when i turn on tv the dell symbols appears. not this time, but i do get a very black screen with present of that it is on.
    but it is not. i know i have a problem because the dell logo does not appear. when it first happen I did turn off all the power to the TV (unpllugged at surge protector) and then I turned on the TV and the DELL symbol came on and it worked. The TV was on I was in another room and the TV was off. Try to turn it on again and it will not work even unplugging it. need help please.
    I CONTACTED DELL - IT IS 2 MONTH'S OUT OF WARRANTY- THEY TOLD ME TO GO BUY A NEW TV.

WE SHOULD HAVE A CLASS ACTION SUIT. WE ALL HAVE PROBLEMS WITH DELL PLASMA.
    SAME OLD BAD SERVICE WITH PEOPLE YOU CAN NOT UNDERSTAND.

CLASS ACTION SUIT ---------CLASS ACTION SUIT --------------------CONTACT ME IF WE SHOULD PUT TOGETHER
    [email protected]

• Ka
    kadrra Jan 12, 2010

i am also now after 4 years having problems with my tv now at random times the sceen will go black and come back or just go black and my buddy taped the top of the tv as a joke and then pic will come back on . i dont know if it a loose cable or something more but after seeing all the compaints on the internet i am not to happy. dose anyone realy know who makes the tv and where someone can get the parts from becasue i have a family friend that has been repairing tv for over 30 years and repairs hd tv;s and if there is anyone that realy is going to talk to a lawer about a class action let me know and i will waste my time with the oversea people to get a call log started.

and i am one also that is sick of companies that are to greedy to have there staff in the damm us and go overseas to find people that dont know crap about what they are supporting or can speak english. but i guess that the american way. It is said i am in tech support my self and i get many calls a day from customers that are so happy to talk to someone in the us.

my email is [email protected]
    thanks and good luck

• Sl
    Slayer200723 Dec 16, 2009

I just received a broken 60" DLP HDTV (WD60C9) from Dell. It looked fine, but as soon as I turned it on and the second it lit up the tv would shut down and the green LED light would turn red and flash over and over. This item was $799 + tax and with Free S&H. I ordered 3-5 days S&H and it took 10 days to arrive only to arrive defective. I'm so angry. Apparently I'm supposed to arrange FREIGHT shipping and ship this big heavy item back at MY expense, which could run $150-$200 most likely. Who knows what kind of crap they will pull when they get the item back just to avoid giving me a full refund.

They should be completely responsible for shipping an item back to them when it's this large especially. The item is DEFECTIVE! If I were returning it for some silly reason I'd understand, but they sent me a broken item!

If they won't do do me right on this I'm all for a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT against DELL. If anyone is interested in joining please email me at [email protected] Thanks!

• Ed
    ed jacobson Nov 14, 2009

What's up with the black verticle band in the middle of my Dell plasma screen???? Any simple fix or am I going to end up fustrated like everyone else.

• Ra
    Randyk66 Oct 23, 2009

Well everyone here is the start in getting this resolved, Please contact the FTC and file a complaint so they can start looking into Dell on providing defective equipment. It really should not matter if you have replaced it with another or not the word has to get out that Dell is not standing behind their products, I filed my complaint today. Lets get this started.

I am also filing a complaint with my states Consumer protection agency as well.

• Ol
    Olliebird Oct 22, 2009

Similiar problems, Dell 42" plasma tv. Have sound no picture. TV only 14 months old and I had paid cash for it. Finally bought a new tv. I think its time for a class action suit. I'm all for it and willing to help pay an attorney. Contact me if a suit is started. Its not right to pay over $2, 000.00 for a tv that lasts less than 18 months.

Mick101 Oct 16, 2009

hi there having problems with your dell tv?? yea I guess so I will try to help you!!!
    First never buy a Dell tv becose they do not support repairs and replacement parts.
    Secondly don't buy a plasma set they are a pain in the ... buy a LCD they have less parts
    they are cheaper and they are more reliable like the Toshiba, Sharp, Sony and other but
    don't buy those cheap chinese tv they are not too reliable. Now for your Dell problem
    if you have horizontal bars top or botton or both you have a Y buffer problem and these are
    modules (2) located on the far left side (looking from behind) one module is for the top of the screen end the other for the lower part of the screen these module like the whole tv is a
    Samsung made and they are available on EBAY for 125-150$ piece and the part number are
    LJ41-02760A LJ92-01202A and if you are a little handy with tools you could replace them yourself . I you do have te above problem you should shut down your set immediately becose if you keep on running your tv it will eventualy damage an other part (module) thats call Y sustain and your set will not turn on anymore and it will cost you another 200$ + to replace that module also available on EBAY p/n LJ92-01200A LJ41-02759A for most of models and an honest competent tv
    technician can fix for much less than the prices charge on other comments. If I know all these things is becose I am a tv technician and i do fix these plasma tv and I know for sure that they are not there to stay some of the major Japan company like Toshiba,
    Hitachi and some more have dicontinuned there production for plasma tv . So now
    you know much more about whats wrong in your set.
    Good luck anyway
    Mick

Mick101 Oct 16, 2009

hi there
    buying tv from Dell is the worst choice you can do becose Dell do not support
    tv repairs and if they do they will charge you like crasy and most of the time the problem
    apears after a few year of operation the Y buffers are defective witch can be found for average 125$ t0 150$ each board (2) on EBAY and others. This problem consist of horizontal bars across the screen and if you keep on running the tv it will eventualy cause more damage to the Y sustain board and will cost another 200$ to 400$ and can be found also on EBAY . Now any honest experimented competent tv service man can fix these problem for much less than Dell is asking for . My word is as a tv service technician don't buy DELL for TV and don't buy any plasma they are pain in the ... buy LCD period...

• Ra
    Randyk66 Oct 12, 2009

Wow i have the same problem bought my 4201c in Dec 2006, now its just a piece of art sitting in the basement. No picture no sound, was watching it the other night sound started to crackle so i turned off the set and it never came back on.

Just called Dell and again they are saying they have never heard of this issue before, believe it or not i talked to someone in Texas. I was put on hold and then they hung up on me. Now i cannot get back to the Texas location.

So now i'm really p*****d lets get this lawsuit started, send me your case numbers so i can get all this information together and find someone to take on Dell. My case number is [protected].

Maybe we all can march on their office in Texas and hold up signs in protest, something has to work to get them to stand by their products.

I am filing another complaint with the BBB as well against them.

MAHDOUCH Sep 29, 2009

CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN BUY THE lj92-01202a WITH MLOW PRICES, SOME ONE I KNOW BUY THEM WITH 60$ EACH PLS IF ANY ONE KNOW A SUPPLIER THAT CAN PROVIDE THIS PARTS WITH SAME OR LOWER PRICES PLEASE CONTACT ME "[email protected]" THANK YOUUUUUUUU

• Fl
    FLIPDADY Sep 28, 2009

My 4201 crapped out a few months ago and is way out of any sort of warranty. Called Dell and spoke to 6 different people from a few different countries. Sorry we cannot help you Dell no longer services plasmas. So since then it's been a giant paperweight in my living room. Last Saturday I dropped it at a local reputable TV repair guy who gives free estimates. Got a phone call today saying that I need a replacement whiteboard or something like that. Anyone familiar with this part? I mean it's going to cost me $350 to do the repair with a 3 month warranty instead of spending another $1, 000+ on a new TV. All the other places I contacted before that they can't service Dell TV's. So hopefully this guy comes through for me.

• Da
    DARK1 Sep 12, 2009

contact me for the class action suit too! Just had my 42" plasam fixed to months ago and now today POOF! No SOUND!

• St
    SteveP55419 Aug 30, 2009

I still agree that Dell Computer Corporation stinks but have to put a new spin on all of this. I replaced my dead 4201C with a Panasonic P42g10 from Amazon for $975 and they throw in a Panasonic Blu-ray player for free. The math: $975 minus $200 for the player minus another $200 for the value of the one-year warranty I get leaves a net cost of $575. What do I get for that money? I now have in my TV room a brand new set versus that old clunk of a Dell. The new set has tons of new features and a picture that is miles better than the Dell. In other words I'm glad the Dell died and I'm not mad at Dell anymore although I now know to distrust them in the future.

• Ha
    hanguyen919 Aug 28, 2009

Have same screen's color, lines distortions problem with 42" plasma after 3 years of use with an average about one hour per day.
    Looking to get a new LCD 40-46" between Samsung & Sony. Opened the Dell's back panel out to check power supply and some other voltages. Supprisely, the screen is Samsung and most components are from Philips. Decide to purchase a Sony 40" LCD instead of Samsung. Dell just not loosing the reputation themself, but also others who Dell privatelly labeled. Also purchsed a Toshiba laptop instead of Dell who was our laptop supplier for years.

MadMike In Minnesota Aug 27, 2009

Well...We got ours on 1/2/2006 [W4201C]. We absolutely love it, but...oops!
    It just crapped out. :-( Black screen...just a pretty blue power button light...nothing else.
    Now we do not know what to do-it cost $2500.
    Dell will not support. We are not electronics gurus [although I have built a copule nice mic preamps from kits].
    Sounds like sending it in is not a good idea.
    Is the class action thing even possible?
    Would like to know.
    MadMikeInMinnesota

• Di
    disapointed repeat customer Aug 21, 2009

same problem as everybody else.purchased 42" w4201c hd tv about three years ago, first problem was half the tv going black, then the tv look like it got sprayed with pixey dust.Now screen is completly black, but still have sound.Tv is now a 90 pound paper weight.If there is a class action lawsuit being put together will someone please contact me at [email protected] has ripped every single one of us off, if i knew tv would only last three years never would have spent 2, 000 on it and i know none of u guys/women would have either.I repeat again if there is a lawsuit please contact me at above address their seems to be more than enough people to get one started

• Ri
    richard johnson Aug 20, 2009

if anyone starts class action law suit count me in [email protected]
    i am still paying dell Dell 4201c that went march of this year

• Su
    sUpRaHoLiC Aug 11, 2009

Over the past 2 months I've taken a look at 3 of these Dell W4201 42" Plasma's for a local business, they were all purchased in April of 07 and all quit working with just a black screen about 6 months after the warranty was up. I have had luck getting them all working by replacing six capacitors(rated at 2200uf @ 10v) on the large power supply board that covers most of the top half of the screen on the back. Parts cost less than $20

After a month now two of the TV's are still working great but one developed the horizontal sparkling lines in two 4 inch bands. One band starts about 4 inches above the bottom of the screen and the other starts about 12 inches from the bottom, both running all the way across the screen. In reading all these other posts I have some ideas of what might be causing it, I will post back to this forum with my findings.