Del Taco / left my phone on the counter and they took it

United States Review updated:

Restaurant 1160 WAll Ave Ogden UT 84404
Left my phone on the counter after ordering take out, I returned 30 min latter to see if it was there, the manager said no I haven't seen it, I called my son because he had loaded a find my phone app for me, he checked and located my phone at Del Taco. I returned again and asked for my phone, the manager was rude and said no we don't have it, I said I know it's here and I'm going to call the police, magically they found it. They are rude and thieves, I get it's a low paying job but stealing is wrong! And they never even apologized, my son stopped by to talk to the manager and she was rude and said I can't help that old people leave stuff, he asked for her bosses phone number and she wouldn't give it to him. This is not a restaurant that I will ever go to again and I'll let everyone I know how I was treated, I get kids do bad things but if you don't have good leadership in the store that will own mistakes how can you expect the team to succeed.

Na
Jun 13, 2019

Comments

•   Jun 13, 2019

I feel for you but why not call the police anyway? Follow through with discipline threats.

Jun 13, 2019

@Um is not an answer! Thanks for replying to my father's letter. The reason that they we did not call the police was because they eventually returned my father's phone. At first they said that they would not return it unless he could verify that it was his. They told me to call his number to verify that it is his and that it rings when I called. But since I left it at home I could not do that. I should have brought it with me. They simply did not believe my father. Then I told them that when he left the phone behind someone should have called him back. They said that they did not notice until after he left. That is no excuse if they saw him put the phone on the counter they should have made sure he took it with him. I told them that they should have made sure that he left with his phone. They were planning on stealing it with the excuse that they have to verify that the phone was his. He then said that when I got home I would call the police. Then they said that if he could use his password to unlock the phone he could have it back. So unless he verified that it belonged to him they were going to steal it. The manager gave me some BS excuse that it is policy for people to verify items that they lost. If they had been observant he would not have lost it in the first place. If they checked the counter when he left and called him back this would not have been an issue in the first place. They saw that it was him that left the phone. They lied and said that they did not notice he had a phone. A lie. They were trying to rip off an old man and steal his phone.

•   Jun 14, 2019

I’m glad you got your phone back. Maybe the manager didn’t know it was found and looked around and saw it. You assume someone stole it but you have no proof of that. A clerk may have found it and moved it without telling the manager.

I’d contact the franchise owner and tell them about your situation. If theft is involved, they need to know.