Defender SecurityUnauthorized billing

I responded to a flier in the Sunday newspaper from ADT that promised a 100.00 gift card if you call and have a home security system installed for 99.00. Sounds good until I closed the deal on the phone with Defender Security-authorized ADT dealer. The manager promised me (2) of the 100.00 gift cards if I signed up. Well, this sounded really good. He even said that I would have the cards by the weekend, this is unbelievable, I thought. Well, the system was installed two days after that call, the 99.00 dollars was drafted from my account, along with the first monthhly payment, plus tax. So by the weekend 170.00 dollars was drafted from my account. Now, I called ADT and they gave me the number to Defender Security(authorized ADT dealer) since they put the out the promotion. So, I called Defender security and told the girl that answered the phone my story. She sent an email about the cards and reimbursed me my 99.00, since the whole "receive the cards by the weekend" was a lie. So, I hung up feeling good, like I was being taken care of. She said the reimbursement takes 7 to 10 days, and gave me a number to call about the cards, which by the way can take up to 8 weeks to receive. I called back a couple of days later and demanded to talk with a manager. I was connected with this Manager who was very loud and obnoxious in the phone and basically told me that he would be making all decisions that day, completely shutting me down. I suggested that he should call the company and expedite the gift cards. He stated that he was not going to do that as he was doing everything within the "parameters" of his job. Basically giving me the telephone number. The place that handles the cards finally mailed me one voucher that I was suppose to receive by email. There was only one voucher for one card, and thay wanted 4.95 for shipping and handling to get the card, copy of picture ID, first months ADT bill, and agreement to receive future advertisements, basically junk mail. WHAT A SCAM IS ALL I CAN SAY. I violated one of the oldest rules, "IF IT SEEMS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLY ISN'T". Needless to say I have contacted TYCO, the mother cooperation for ADT and voiced my complaint with them, as of now I still have no gift cards, I will not send 4.95 for something that was promised to me for doing business, that is just bad business. Be wary of future promotions from any authorized ADT dealer. As for the security system it is grade A.

Joke security May 27, 2011

Company misrepresented themselves as an ADT dealer. They over charged me for a myriad of bogus services. Do NOT do businees with this unethical company!

Tony DePoy Aug 08, 2017

@Joke security I had a similar worst company I ever dealt with, this one is Defendeder in Decatur Illinois

• Db
    Dbaxter Jul 12, 2014

They scam me too and I don't have a number to call them so hopefully my bank will get me money back

• Ks
    ksthompson Oct 09, 2014

Wish I would have read this first! I too have been scammed. After talking with them for 20 minutes, I decided not to go with their "deal" and was told that they had already debited my account. I told them to cancel the transaction and I was told that it had been canceled.

Guess what? The transaction was sent to my financial institution 2 days later!. Now I'm trying to get the transaction returned. I will never do business with ADT or any of their affiliates.

I don't have a phone number either. I tried calling ADT and they were not any help in locating this company.

Tony DePoy Aug 08, 2017

@ksthompson I had the same experience with Defenders out of Decatur Illinois stay away from this company they are terrible

• Ks
    ksthompson Oct 10, 2014

If this happens to you, I have a phone number you can call; 1.800.689.9554. It takes up to 2 weeks to process a credit to your account. Don't do business with this company!

• Td
    T.DeLong Mar 01, 2015

This company is a total scam. I never received any card as well, I only received rude and terrible people when trying to get my card. They debited my acct, which wasn't authorized and told me I had time to cancel...Well, when I call to cancel this added mobile thing, they said it is part of my contract...what a joke. ADT, you are getting a bad rep all due to this company. If I were ADT, I would make it right with all the customers this company has scammed and not allow them to be a distributor. What a joke. Thinking about going to court but you know...they did a good job taking advantage of people who are scared. I really do not want the security system any longer and want my money back, including the $100 gift card they promised. They made is sound great, that if I take the mobile app, I could just pay for it with the card. I received the "certificate" but as another person said...I have to send $4.95 to get what was promised with a ton of personal info. The guy even told me he had the cards in his car, so after install he would give it to me. Well, he went to his car and drove away. This is completely FRAUD!!! someone needs to go to jail.

Tonya Phillips Dec 27, 2016

The same thing happened to me as well as them putting in the wrong system. I asked for a landline and they put in a wireless. They then have billed me for the higher system, as well as continued to bill me even AFTER they came out and changed it to a landline. I had to block them through my credit card company. We will see if they start billing me the correct amount after they receive a denied payment and contact me this time. I have a new contract that outlines what they should be charging me. I refuse to pay 20 extra a month until they figure it out on their end. 45 days is enough and she told me it could take another 30 days for them to resubmit the correct contract to ADT. When I asked if I would be billed the higher rate again in 15 days, when the bill is due, she said probably. When I asked to speak to a supervisor I was told repeatedly there was not a supervisor that would speak with me.

• Ro
    Roberra May 12, 2017

Had service at my old place and had trouble getting my gift card. when I moved I was told I would get my 100. Installation fee back in a visa gift card. When I called to get it I was told they need to review the phone call to see if it was offered to me because the rep. Did not put it in the notes. This happened the first time also. They said it's rare. The three year context starts over each time you move. I wish I had never done business with Defenders.