Davison Design and Development Incfraud + intellectual property infringement

S

Priceless invention on Power Generation without using fuel.
To cut the long story short. I conceived of the idea on 17th Oct 08. In my foolishness coveyed the idea by website to an AH named Gordon Novel. This website is encrypted and the contents of the encrypted reply promptly disappeared from my computer after a few days. Only the skeleton file remains saying that please go back to the form as you cannot submit a blank form. Anyways few days after my communication with Gordon Novel, I received an e mail from Davison Design And Development inc, in my spam folder, with all sort of info on invention hep blah blah blah. i started communicating with davison and eventually paid the USD 700 for pre development. They took 12 weeks to produce a no consequence portfolio. So I saw thru the scam. Originally Patricia Hickey was handling my case and she conveniently went missing. I have given her my invention and if she doent work for davison anymore, she is not bound by any etics that the company may have enforced on their employees. Anyways after that Martin Frings was responsible for my case. All that Martin Frings can say over the phone is Thanks Very Much. He does not respond on the e mail> although I am not worried about the 700 dollars, I am concerned that Davison will clandestinely use my invention for their benefit. This amounts to Intellectual Property Infringement, a very serious crime indeed. I am quite certain that Davison is into IP crime and defrauding all inventors who deal with them. although I have also complained about Davison to the Feds.

from Savvys Salgaonkar In India
My E mail: [protected]@yahoo.de
Tel +[protected]

• Ki
    Kila Keohokapu Aug 19, 2017

To everyone who talked, mentioned, or submitted any idea in any way can say goodbye to it. Because, it is gone! They're gonna integrate you're original idea and make it their own; any possible way that they can. They stole my idea, had a similar name and concept back in 2013, and after confronting my rep. about it he sounded very eager and concerned and within the next couple of months after that phone call, all of the products where i found it was recalled, redesigned and renamed!

• Je
    Jennie Banh Mar 07, 2016

Trying to find an attorney to help with them they took my money and idea. I been victimize by this company these people are lair, they misled me and do now they won't give a refund.

• Fr
    freddymac Dec 01, 2015

Davison... Kind of a breach of contract that we signed together on privacy and now you are posting YOUR disgruntled clients names here on a PUBLIC board numerous times as you did mine... Paul McInturf [email protected]

• Th
    Thatarmy Sep 15, 2015

I spent $900 on a patent search so I don't find issue with the $745 at all. That also searches for all products selling on the market like my idea. Or you can start designing and building a prototype which can be very expensive without knowing what the competition is or what your limitations are that you need to design around. This is common sense after you've done all the ground work for your idea on your own. Even if you go for a cheap patent attorney you could end up with a search that wasn't done thoroughly and this could cost you money in the future. As for the product design costing up to $15k... have you talked to a Design and Development team? This is cheap! Check out a marketing company alone. One that targets a company for you and uses the same raw materials that the company uses and builds the prototype around the manufacturers ability to mass produce. It makes sense to me. I'm sure for less complex designs the cost is less but I seriously feel bad for the people that were mislead by these comments. This could have been the best chance that many of these people had at getting their idea exposure and they now will go the route many inventors go thru which leads to spending 200k and a garage full of inventory. Watch shark tank and see how much each of the inventors have spent/wasted.

• raymond ithier Jul 11, 2014

Well, I think 95% of the people complaining just had a dumb @### idea to begin with and knew the risks of investing into your self with very slim chance of getting your idea licensed or marketed by a company to see a return profit. I also have given Davison a full amount of 795.oo and quiet honestly I feel they have been str8 forth and up front about everything we've talked about. They have maintained good status updates and have not asked for a cent more than the initial 795.oo to get the ball rolling. I also was contacted and told that several company's where interested in my idea and ready to make a deal as soon as they ("davison") where complete with the final designs, and I haven't been charged any type of submission fee. I believe it depends on the idea. I will be doing a follow up report to let the people know what was made of my invention but I can almost guarantee it will be a great out come and you will see it in stores very soon.

Thanks for reading my opinion and have a great day! R.I

• Pe
    pedromad Apr 08, 2014

Although I've been treated nicely thud far. After reading the complaints I can't help but feeling a little unsure

• Pe
    pedromad Apr 08, 2014

I feel the same way

• Wo
    wow66 Oct 23, 2013

oh my god i am so glad i read this i just signed a contract with Davidson two days ago an was about to send them $700 oh my god thank you for posting lucky

• Ia
    Ian Fergusson Aug 14, 2013

This does not say weather you were sent videos and other correspondence to promote you product .
    I have so far received two videos of what could be my product being advertised and a contract that to me seemed above board .
    I would like feed back to what was done in your situation of your product .

• Gi
    girlhappyguy Jan 23, 2013

I am so sorry for the people here----first I lost $4495 to invention consultants now I sent Davidson $705----what was I thanking!!---is it the dream or they fact that I hate going to work everyday---------------you have to learn on your own------as for the money I sent Davidson, its gone!!!----I ask my lawyer about the other company and they told me----you have to have a lawyer from the state they are in because they only work in their state-------------it would cost $2000+ for fees and when they say about the work they did-lol---you may get about half back---------------so i would have to pay $6495 to get maybe $1500 back-------------I wish I would have checked here first!!I feel so dumb!! about the $705 because I know better then to trust people like that!!--------------god bless you all!!-------the only way to get you money back is the FTC--and the are not to concerned about plan people---they are busy people too!!---PLEASE DON, T SEND NO MORE MONEY TO THIS ###!!------and why is every person who calls you there new product manager???

• Ro
    Roanna Oscar Nov 01, 2012

I recently contacted Davidson Co. and spilled them my invention by email. Then to my surprise I was contacted by a representative from the Davidson Co. by the name of Jack Burlie. He said my ideas was marketable, and was willing to make an exception for me to make payments of 150 per month. so i could get my invention off and rolling as to marketing, development of product, B L A H< B L A H < B L A H . So My friend was was suspicious of the way they were going about it, and I wanted to call her bluff (that she jealous). But to my Surprise she was R I G H T. For as mad as I was for her to rain on my parade. I think her and You guys for having this available for people like me with an idea, but know money to help getting invention off the ground.. If anyone can pass me the R E A L people that could help me would be the best.. THANKS AGAIN

JordaT Jun 25, 2012

I had the same experience. although i was lucky enough to be too poor to send money I was still hassled about my invention. Unfortunately they know all about the invention. Also, after i stated that they were frauds begging for money, they still sent me an email trying to convince me to participate. Since reading these complaints i will defiantly never work with them. Also, the way that they are commenting and subtly threatening and outing the people complaining is horrendous. They are cruel evil people and they need to be shut down.

• Edward Bermingham May 01, 2012

l have been with Davison now since Jan 2011, a new customer if you like, l of course read all the comments / complaints on many websites regarding Davison, but l still decided to pursue my idea with them, this decision is yours too make, not anyone elses. l do believe there are quite a number of dissapointed clients of Davison who have complained because their idea failed, each customer is warned of potential success rates, which are very low. As an inventor of a board game l dont know yet if my idea will succeed, but the thrill of believing it could make you a fortune is unsurpassed. Davison provides a service of opportunity, the chance to put your dream in to the market, l have researched the net extensively and there are not many companies out there that can offer " from concept to product " l have paid them approx 75% of the fees required to make my dream come true, l do believe as all inventors do, that my new boardgame will succeed and l am glad there is a company such as Davison who at least are going to try on your behalf. This is not a complaint, l have had a few snags with the designs they have provided, but l will not sign them off until l am satisfied, I recieved a call from USA the other day informing me that they are going to action all the changes l wish to my designs, l seem to think that Davison also believe in my idea. As yet l do not have any gripes / comments / complaints regarding Davison, they are doing exactly what l asked them to do, but who is to say this situation will not change, l somehow dont think so, if they are clever enough they will realise they also need a success story, l would like to think it would be with my product hitting the world market. l will keep everyone informed of progress over the next few weeks. Best Regards...Edward Bermingham

• Mi
    missbim143 May 05, 2017

@Edward Bermingham What? No update? Are you a filthy rich inventor now? I'm pretty sure you're not. Come on Edward give us an update on your experience with that crook.

sanelyrightous Apr 06, 2012

I agree I kind of thought that most the employees are the ones inventing just by the video. I am lucky and haven't signed anything yet. When i told them I need an attorney to look over the contract. He replied; well you said you couldn't hardly afford the 795.00 to get my invention on the road how can you afford an attorney? I said; I would rather pay a few extra bucks than get screwed out of my money and you all steal my ideal. Also told him that there own contract advises you to consult in an attorney before making a descision. So rushed and got an application for a "provisional patent". That way if they take your ideal and market it you can sue them. The provisional patent takes effect the day you sign it even if there is already an patent om your invention . If someone already has patent you only lose 40.00.

• Da
    Davison survivor Mar 28, 2012

I'm also a Davison survivor, I just happen to be out about $16;000.00, and my "patented invention" is probably worth as much as a dried up turd. Expensive turd...

• Co
    concernedvisitor Mar 27, 2012

I am currently in the middle stages of pre-development and have not paid the $5, 800.00 they asked for.. I have however signed the agreement without the money... What I want to know is; how many have made money or had an idea through Davison that made it?
    I am sooo concerned that they are just a pay for play company.. "you pay them to play with your money"... and they sorta work on your product. I read that most of their products are from their 250 employees. That being said, how much time will they spend on my idea?It sounds like they don't spend hardly any time on 'out siders' ideas. Also my idea is a food product. I have the finished product. I make it all the time.. you can not buy this product in any store or specialty shop. They do not work with food companies. So how are they going to market my product without the production of my product? They want me to pay $5, 800. for a box or bag that may or may not contain the product.. The more I type the more stupid it sounds. I know it cost money to produce a product and market it.. what I also know is how much it takes to do so. I know the cost of plastic by the train car full. I know what it cost to buy a train car full of card board too. If they really work on a design for my product and manufacture the package. It should only cost about $1.00 if that much. I wonder what kind of brain storm they get for something so simple? $5, 799.00 dollars worth? oh I forgot the patent app for $125.00. so that leaves $5, 674.00 for brain storming?..It just doesn't seem right to have to pay so much; knowing what it cost to make one bag or box. It takes about 1 minute to make 120 bags from start to finish. It takes about 10 seconds to make a cardboard box.. and that is if the machine is running slow. Now comes marketing. They do more talk on here than I have seen any where else. Like defending what they are doing on here is more important than seeing the names of happy customers in print on the net. Each question I ask leads me to more questions...

chief1998. Mar 27, 2012

I dont mind investing money, I realize there are risks involved in any investment. My biggest complaint with davision is why did it cost so much for a piece of paper and 2 cd's. And why are you asking for more money when the first corporation doesnt want my idea or should I say your idea.

chief1998. Mar 27, 2012

I have also had a situation with Davison. I gave them a drawing and very good discription of my Idea and after 9000 dollars and it seems like almost a year of exitment, wonder, and financial stress i got a fancy, very professional picture of something that was not my idea. In fact it was already invented and being sold in stores!!!. So i paid 9000 bucks for 2 cd's, a pile of paper, and a picture. I would sure be better off if I would have paid off a few bills with that money. They sure do a good job at keeping you confident in your desicion of using davision to make your idea a reality. I would have been better off building it in my garage at least i would have been tripping over 9000 dollars worth of parts that i could always try to sell if I decided to give up. I am currently in persuit to get my money back.

• Bw
    bwelladmin Jul 28, 2011

I just want to make something clear. Let me share my experience and make it clear that our venue WAS NOT THROUGH DAVISON, What you are experiencing with Davison is something that is just plain common sense across the board when submitting an idea and getting it off the paper napkin you drew it on into the patent office and on to finding a company to manufacture to the marketing. You ARE GOING TO SPEND MONEY! It took me 2 years to get my product patented. That 2 years was how long it sat AT THE US PATENT OFFICE and at that time 2 years was concidered FAST! It took another 5 years to have a product in our hands to sell! Just because you think your idea is great doesn't mean the rest of the world does and Davison's success rate for moving product ideas into a profitable item is common across the board. Due your own due diligence as a product designer and research all product development companies. You have to assume risk with any invention or investment. No one will ever submit any new product idea today and see it on the shelves tomorrow.

Majorlook May 08, 2011

Thanks CCA for your comments. Although I have read all of the comments on this site, it would be foolish of me to accept them all on face value, so I don't. Yes I am a novice as far as developing is concerned. This is my first actually and as with all "firsts" it is one I wish to remember for all the right reasons.

I fully realise the risks involved and feel they are worth it. Lets just say, if it goes pear shaped, I will be throwing myself out of the ground floor window instead of the top floor of a high-rise.

All that you have said had been previousely explained, but I am grateful for the consistent information.

Nuff said, my mind is made over.

• We would like to take this opportunity to respond to the anonymous blogger “forgetdavison”.

Obviously, we have no idea who this blogger is or even if they were ever a client. There is a good possibility that this blogger is a competitor or just someone out there on the web having a general issue with our previous new product design and development successes. Simply put, we have been in business for 22 years, are completely transparent, comply with the American Inventors Protection Act, warn inventors of the risks of inventing and comply with all contractual agreements. Our staff of over 250 has worked very hard to have our inventions sell in over 1, 000 different retail outlets and because of all of our efforts we have become the number 1 licensing product design and development firm in the world.

When we read this blogger’s comments it became very evident that they simply have no product design and development experience and do not understand the process of inventing. We wouldn’t take his or her advice. Why? Because the blogger suggests that you contact the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) to ask for a referral. This recommendation reveals their lack of experience. The blogger doesn’t understand that the USPTO can only refer you to a list of registered patent attorneys on their website and, of course, fails to disclose that the 2 year patenting process, if a patent is ever issued, is only about 5% of the new product development process.

“Majorlook”, what the blogger is suggesting is that you patent first and then develop your invention. This is like putting the “cart before the horse”. In general, manufacturers patent at the end of the development process - not at the beginning. You need to “think like a manufacturer”.

We are sure you are well aware that manufacturers have research and development facilities that are considered high security areas and the personnel that work in those facilities enter into very strict employment and confidentiality agreements. The reason for this is that the manufacturer and independent product design and development companies prefer to file for patents at the end of the process. Here are two very simple reasons for this timing: (1) the need to maximize the time period of protection. The patenting process can take 2 to 3 years and, if a patent is granted, it lasts for 20 years. Therefore, the strategy is to extend the time period as long as possible. Secondly, and very importantly, product designs change over the course of development. Departments such as manufacturing, marketing and packaging all want to contribute what they think the design should look like. If changes are made, the patent may no longer be fully applicable to the product and another application may have to be filed before the product is ever in production. Be careful not to put the “cart before the horse”. It’s your invention and your decision.

In our opinion, this is NOT good product development strategy. And, let’s not forget the general fees associated with patenting. Each time the costs can range from $10, 000 to $15, 000 with no guarantee the patent will be granted. So, if you’re going to pursue patenting you may only want to only pay for it once. We are not in the business of patenting and if you are intending to patent your idea immediately, you should seek guidance from a patent lawyer.

If the blogger is a client we do suggest that they re-read any agreements that they entered into and then take those agreements to their attorney. We would be more than happy to discuss the agreements, our responsibilities and answer any questions that he or she or his attorney may have.

• To the ANONYMOUS blogger “Majorlook”.

We don’t ask clients that have received licensing agreements and royalties to get online and blog about making money. We are not on this website to promote “invention profits” or to brag about how our product design and development services helped others achieve successes. If you want to see samples of our work and read about some clients’ experiences, please visit our website.

We don’t know your background or how much experience you have in developing products, so we thought the information posted by the owner of InventionCity.com might help you gain an understanding of inventing from the point of view of someone regularly in the business. This information was posted on this site about three months ago:

Inventioncity’s (I-City Man) post:
    Providing invention development services is a difficult and often thankless (and worse) task. I've made my living from commercializing inventions for the past 25 years. My experience includes concept development, design, patent filings, manufacturing, marketing, licensing... and even no-holds-barred (successful) multi-million dollar patent litigation against a Fortune 100 company that ripped off one of our inventions. Much of my experience is offered for free in the pages at http://www.InventionCity.com - a sited devoted to inventor education and information.

I'm proud to say that Invention City is sponsored by Davison. Davison is focused on the most important aspect of inventing - creating a prototype - rather than on patents. They provide a good service at a great price. Much of the discussion on this board shows a lack of experience with the realities and costs of creating and bringing new products to market.

A simple consumer-product type invention costs my company WorkTools, Inc., with all of its experience and contacts and thriftiness, between $50, 000 to $250, 000 to take into commercialization through licensing (much more if we manufacture ourselves). The best of our inventions, if they are for a new market where we do not have an established success, have a less than a 25% chance of succeeding enough to cover their development costs. And, it should be noted, we really are great at what we do. (We won a Business Week Design of the Decade Award in 1999 alongside the then new VW Beetle, the BMW 325i and the Apple iMac for our PowerShot staple gun). Very few inventions are anywhere close to that good. I know. I've personally reviewed thousands.

The odds of success for an average invention are less than 1%. That's the market served by Davison. Davison saves a lot of people a lot of money by not encouraging them to spend even more on patents while giving them a chance to find out if, in fact, there is a market for their idea. Is it a perfect service? No. But I think it's one of the best ones out there. With that in mind I'd ask anyone who's reading this to consider the following question:

How many customer complaints would you expect for a business that delivers a 99% chance of failure even when they perform flawlessly?

Lastly I'd like to say that it's great to see a Davison representative on this board answering questions and fielding complaints. I know the company takes complaints seriously and does what it can to address them.

“Majorlook”, you also wanted to know from an earlier post if we make money on the up-front fees. The answer is “Yes.” It is surprising how some people feel it is the responsibility of others to do the work for them. Ask a patent attorney if he will write and file a patent application without payment.

Basically, each inventor has a choice to pursue an entrepreneur’s dream or not. We offer to provide services at very good price points and the decision then rests with the inventor.

At least you now know the types of services you should be considering when developing an invention so you can price out the work. We can only assume that any companies that quote you the price of their services in the future will be cast in a negative light, too, because they charge fees for their services. We believe that you will also find that their fees are typically higher than ours.

Inventing and new product development is not right for everyone. You have to be willing to accept that inventing is high risk with little chance of profits. We are in the business of building product samples and packaging. When you are in business you are obliged to pay the staff, taxes, operation expenditures, vendors, telephone companies, utility companies, and so forth. Being in business costs money, but we constantly run into inventors who think that we should work for free while they gain the opportunity to collect royalties from our work. Simply put, it costs money to research, design and build products. You seem to forget that it was your invention and that you contacted us seeking assistance. We are here to help, but not to shoulder the financial burden and risk for every person with a product idea. If you have questions, we ask again for you to contact us.

We wish you the best of luck with your invention.

Thank you.
    Chief Consumer Advocate

Majorlook May 05, 2011

Good tip, thanks. Although I'm unsure if the US Patent Office would provide me with such information, particularly recommending one that has best practices. I'm between a rock and a hard place. True to say, anyone could post complaints about Davison and without the risk of being identified. On the other hand, certain evidence is irrefutable.

It is worthy of note though, although Davison appear to monitor this site fairly closely, they have chosen not to reply to my earlier mail.

• Fo
    forgetdavison May 05, 2011

Do not go with them; do be afraid!! Call the US Patent office and ask them to let you know who has best practices and most importantly has not been sued. I delt with Bob Featherlan (who promptly vanished after I signed and provided 12000$$ on top of other fees... and now Wilma Wallace..joke...this place has yet to sent the product sample. MY attorney is VERY interested in them!!

Majorlook May 03, 2011

Thanks Savvy for your comments. It's unfortunate that my idea is very technical...but I'm not a technically minded person. It's all in my head, what it needs to do and how it should look etc. So I have to trust someone with all the details and hope they play fair. Trouble is, as certain laws are due to change Europe wide, my idea will become a compulsory item. If I don't do it now, someone else will. True to say though, if I had anyone else design, make and market it, it would cost tens if not hundreds of thousands of USD/GBP. As yet, Davison have been top notch, but I take your comments on board, thanks.

Savvy Salgaonkar May 03, 2011

Majorlook
    From my experience after they received my idea, they started advertising for even broad yechnologies since my invention pertains to that. Now I know that they are not capable of anything pertaining to broad technologies.
    I developed myworking prototype on my own and am now looking for license agreements. entirely on my own. When my prototype was ready, I told davison lets skip the prototype and development stage ang go in straight for licensing. Needless to say, they didnt want to have anthing to do with it. Not even a telephone callor e mail to discuss options, except that they kept asking upfront payment for the prototype, wheras i already had a working prototype.
    But good luck with your invention and the decision is entirely yours.

Majorlook May 02, 2011

Ok, and just to add another ramble, and Davison Corp if you do read this, I know this is a complaints site. But I have not seen any writers that have actually come down on your side. Nobody has actually written and said. "Through Davison, my idea was made, marketed and sold and now I'm making money from it".

You must realise the situation many of us are in. We have a dream and turn to Davison to realise it. Ordinary people, not multi-million dollar companies. What are we to believe when we read the words Lawsuit, 10 million dollar settlement, complaints. If the US Courts found against you, all that you were accused of must have been right. Or were you wrongly convicted? And, according to some, all that has changed is your Company name.

Davison Corp, mine is not a complaint levelled against you. I am just making observations. My dealings with you to this point have been faultless and encouraging. But now I am at the point of being asked for money I don't have and am wondering if all will change.

Instead of just defending yourselves against the complaints written about you, I would be grateful for your comments to this entry.

Majorlook May 02, 2011

Well, like many of these complaints I have a dilemma. I am due a call today at 5.10pm UK time. The call will revolve around whether or not I will pay them several thousands for the next stage in the process. Now, not to appear dumb, the guy I am dealing with appears ok. Yes I realise the up-front warnings of "there is no guarantee of appropriate targeting, licensing, royalties etc", but I need to know if Davison are doing everything in their power to make my product successful. Do they make their money on the up-front fees we pay, or from the royalties they receive (which I would gladly pay) from the sale of my product? In fact, I would rather pay them a higher royalties percentage than money up front. In that way, they are certain to work for their return on the investment and everyone's happy. Like so many of us, I don't have the money to lose/waste. If I did, I would be making and marketing the product on my own and keeping all the royalties. So I think on. The conversation this afternoon may be different to that envisaged. Surely Davison must see sence in doing something right for its clients.

• We understand and respect inventors’ decisions to embark on an inventing adventure or not. As most inventors know, inventing is high risk and we ensure that every client is well aware of these risks prior to choosing whether or not to purchase our design and development services.

Josh Optic, the blogger who posted comments on April, 28th, makes many good points. However, unlike his very thorough understanding of his business in the photographic industry he does not have a very thorough understanding of the inventing industry. And that’s okay, but when raising the topic pertaining to “success rates” he ignores the industry’s inherent risks of inventing. Perhaps he has performed photography services for customers wishing to become professional models. What are the risks of paying Josh for a “model portfolio” compared to the odds that a customer of his actually becomes a top model? (The odds here have to be extremely low but we’re sure customers take their chances.) Does Josh Optic only take pictures of someone if he is sure that they will become a model? (Sorry, Josh Optic, we don’t know if you even do modeling portfolios, but the point is valid.)

Here’s a real example for our industry . . . the spokesperson for the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office has been quoted as saying, “There are around 1.5 million patents in effect and in force in this country, and of those, maybe 3, 000 are commercially viable.” (Richard Maulsby, Director of Public Affairs, USPTO, quoted in Business Week, November 10, 2005.) We’ll let you divide the numbers to get the success rate for paying for patenting – which averages around $10, 000 to $15, 000. Now that you understand the risks of patenting, which is about 5% of the inventing process, do you feel inventors should not purchase patenting services? Simply put, each inventor or novice inventor must make their own purchasing decisions.

Your argument seems to be that because few products are successful, we must be doing it wrong, instead of accepting that there is no reliable way of predicting what will be commercially successful. No one here is hiding the fact that inventing is risky. Simply put, we offer to the general public and manufacturers the most economically priced services for an invention to be designed, developed and packaged. In layman’s terms, “The most bang for the buck”. Most product design and development firms charge fees 3 to 4 times in excess of our standard fees with no greater expectation of success as a result.

Sure…we sometimes see what looks to be good ideas from the general public but we DON’T evaluate ideas and inventions at all and certainly not on what “appears” to be good or not. The operative word here is “appears”. Successes in inventing depend heavily on what was invented by the inventors, marketplace timing and the tenacity behind the inventors to commercialize their inventions.

Our team offers product design and development, prototyping, packaging, representation to industry, and licensing and royalty management services. We do NOT take any ownership in clients’ inventions nor do we create partnerships with inventors. The inventors are the sole owners of their intellectual property.

All inventors, whether our clients or not, are responsible for their own efforts in licensing, manufacturing and commercializing their own inventions. We are always here to lend a helping hand. If our licensing department cannot license an invention for an inventor, the inventor can always take the materials prepared and pursue further efforts to commercialize the invention on their own or stop the process entirely or to hire a marketing or manufacturing company to assist them. Although our licensing team will do its best to create royalties for inventors, we at Davison are NOT responsible for producing invention profits. Profits come from the tenacity and decisions inventors make themselves.

A few words about the photograph that drew so much criticism from you are in order. Yes. It was made using photo-shop techniques, but no, it is not a “false image” or “dishonest” as you rather unfairly claim. Rather, it is simply a composite image of the company’s founder, a client and her product. The background is a store because that is the theme of all of the effort- trying to get a product into a store. It does not take one with years of experience in photography to know that it is not a photo of the client and the founder in a store and it is not intended to be. You know that professional photographers have used screens and projection images for decades as backgrounds for photographs. No one really thinks that the person being photographed is in the forest just because he is sitting on a prop log and has a projected forest behind him.

On another issue—please be advised that Complaintsboard.com offers no corporate advocacy or mediation program to help companies and consumers resolve customer care issues, their site is registered in a foreign country, they don’t even verify if the complaint is legitimate or from an actual consumer or user of a service, competitors can post false and defamatory information, they don’t disclose who actually owns and manages their site and their primary concern is getting advertising revenues from those who pay to run ads on their site. Here’s a link for you to learn a little about these gripe-sites and what gets posted on them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUFDeDrbNyw
    For over 20 years, we have helped people prepare and present their ideas to corporations and manufacturers to see if they would be willing to license the product ideas. Our exclusive idea to product method is responsible for more products on the store shelves than any other competitor in this industry.
    Quick facts about our company and our process
    • We are based in Pittsburgh, PA and work with clients from around the world.
    • We have been in business since 1989.
    • Our company’s products have been sold by over 700 stores & online retailers.
    • Our staff designs products for both individuals and corporate clients.
    • We have over 250 staff members.
    • Our staff has won numerous design awards for innovative product designs.
    • We are a member of the Online Business Bureau.
    • Our services include research, prototype development, and packaging design.

If you want to contact us, please call or email us at [email protected]
    CCA

Josh optic Apr 28, 2011

Sorry, hit submit before finished.

Here's my take: I'm on the borderline of this company. Iemailed them and talked to someone about my product. I have yet to giver them any money. I have an invention that would revolutionize an industry that will always be around in any economy. I see both sides; an inventor who wants his ideas to materialize and make me money but also as a business owner myself (i own a photography studio) who, despite regular requests from everyone, cannot work for free and no I can't "just photoshop" that out for you since it will take an hour and my time in photoshop is worth $50hr. So of course no company should work for free or be oppugned for asking for an x sum of money to perform services. From the inventors (or what I refer to myself as; idea man; since Ihavn't invented anything yet) point of view and as a potential customer of the company here is the long winded part from my point of view.

A) First, as I understand life and business, success only comes to those who are willing to take risks and work hard on the right things not just work hard. Again, working hard is not enough...it has to be on the right things or hard work won't Alone won't pay off. Regardless of how amazing you think your idea is hard work on the davisons side and the inventors side in the right areas will be paramount in the success of your product.

B) As a photographer and, although not degreed, consider myself damn near an expert at photoshop I am put off immediately by the marketing materials sent to me after initially speaking to someone about my invention. The images showing the owner of the company standing in the store with the inventor are clearly photoshopped. In the one image where joy is standing with mr. Davison holding her party on the go product she is clearly not standing next to him and was photoshopped in as well as them not really standing in the store. I would save yourself the embarassment of responding to the validity of my observation as it will be a debate you will not win. Why is this significant? Why would it matter? As a potential client who is looking for a company to take my invention and vision and money and make it perform I am put off at the dishonest graphic and attempt to persuade me using false images. Although this may not be true it denotes a lack of caring and attention to important details and a somewhat aloof stance on how the company presents itself and how they value integrity and honesty. Why couldn't they invest the money to hire a pro photographer to go on location and get much much better promotional photographs than the garbage sent to me printed on expensive heavy stock glossy paper? Here you are, a large company with products in 700 stores and you had to resort to falsifying photographs. It comes across as a million dollar front with a two dollar background. Am I supposed to trust a company that won't even invest in themselves properly and even cuts corners on their own marketing? How can I trust you'll do the right things when it comes to mine? Have the marketing director for your company call me if they are interested in better marketing images Because what you have assembled is laughable.

C) davison does make it clear that invention is a risk and there are no guarantees in life but I must say that this company purports itself as being able to see your vision from idea all the way through to the shelf. However when you look at their own company's success rate in taking the admitted 100, 000+ ideas that come through their firm and the large number of those who start development with them and actually turning a profit for their client is beyond words. Yes of course they admit they make their money off of fees and guarantee nothing but their success rate is so bad why do they offer anything other than just design, patent and prototyping services? Perhaps davison is trying to be jack of all trades yet master of nothing? I want a firm with a solid reputation for working hard at design and prototyping and is willing to work closely with the client to achieve my vision not theirs as will as a company who knows how to market properly and get my idea out into the world. Simply having products sold in 700 stores doesn't impress me. That's all about you. What are you going to do for me and do it well? The small percentage of success your clients have had financially is not impressive. Perhaps you should stop pretending to be a company that can do it all and focus on getting a really good rep in one area because right now your reputation is not very good in any part. in other words if you are going to take on getting these products in stores and in front of consumers maybe take a long hard look at the marketing side of things in your company and revamp to help your clients success rate in being profitable increase. maybe you should have a more vested interest in your clients invention. Maybe it will cause you to work harder for your clients because right now it seems that the marketing side of things is more of a side show than a reality. Honestly, as someone who knows their invention will change so many things in many people's daily life I'd be willing to pay more for real effort and strategy and attack in design and marketing if the company, despite the risks of failure, were able to really put fourth some 'A' quality effort.

As a business owner I can relate to things getting out of control with too many customers to handle. I bet this is what is happening here with this company. It started as a vision for mr davison and is spiraling out of control. One way I control the flow of clients in my studio is with price. My quality standards are always the same so if I get too busy I raise my prices and my flow of clients gets smaller but I am able to maintain quality standards as well as keep the lights on. Seriously, why doesn't your firm raise your prices so you can improve the obviously lacking areas of your company? Either that or stop offering those services because it is only hurting your reputation more by offering services you are only mildly good at rather than sticking to ones you are good at.

D) marketing marketing marketing. As a damn good photographer I do ok for a living. I'm only 32 so I know I got lots of life left in me to grow financially but right now there are photographers who are making a killing despite their skills not coming even close to mine. Why is that? Marketing. Yup. They have stellar marketing plans in place and they know how to work it.

Offering design and prototyping as well as handling the marketing side if things yet making most of your money from fees collected from clients is a conflict in my opinion. Please! Thin your heard. Maybe be more selective in who you choose to work with so you can attack marketing with confidence and results that bring profits. There are a ton of great ideas in your files and ideas that could make lots of money I bet but admittedly most of your ideas will never see a profit and this can be faulted to poor marketing strategies. It seems you are so flooded with work you have no choice but to resort to simply throwing spaghetti against the wall and seeing what sticks...unacceptable. As a paying client we expect results...as a realist and potential client I gauge results by effort regardless of failure. I stress marketing because your own marketing materials have gaping bullet holes in them so it's obvious the marketing side of your company is extremely weak. I'd be willing to bet if you were more selective, raised your prices, worked with customers whom you believed had a higher chance of success, revamped your marketing department, and actually reworked your system to a point where you actually did have a real vested interest in your clients' success your numbers for profitability for clients would increase, revenue would increase as well as still this negative stuff on the web would eventually decrease as well.

As a student of marketing I have seen first hand great things go unnoticed and garbage make millions. All because of marketing. IMAGINE your reputation if your company actually took great ideas and worked hard at getting these ideas in front of the right people.

Here's my take:

I'm on the borderline of the outside borders of this company. I have an invention that would revolutionize an industry that will always be around in any economy.

I see both sides as an inventor who wants his ideas to materialize and make me money but also as a business owner myself (i own a photography studio) who, despite regular requests from everyone, cannot work for free and no I can't "just photoshop" that out for you since it will take an hour and my time in photoshop is worth $50hr. So of course no company should work for free or be oppugned for asking for an x sum of money to perform services.

From the inventors (or what I refer to myself as; idea man; since Ihavn't invented anything yet) pointy of view

Test test test

• Se
    Seanacain Apr 19, 2011

Hi to you poorer in CA
    i did not go ahead with Davison
    i believe they do all they promise to do through all the stages, they are well covered by well worded contracts
    But i believe in my own opinion the level of effort put into the development, design and presentation is the bare minimum.
    So i am sad to here you have lost so much, but i haste to add do not give up, change your tactics and attack your chosen market be positive and give your full and utter effort, if it is ment to be then it shall be so .
    Best of luck CA
    Seanacain

• Po
    Poorer in CA Apr 17, 2011

To Seanacain,
    I just found this website, so after 169 days, I'm surmising you made your decision. We started working with Davison in early 2007, borrowed over $16, 000 from my 401K for development, and have never seen any return on our investment. Ours, too, was a product that should have been successful. It's a specialty product related to healthcare, and a specialty where I'm a director, so I'm educated on the need for the invention. I'm hoping you didn't get sucked into all the hype also.
    Poorer in CA

• Po
    Poorer in CA Apr 17, 2011

Seanacain,
    I just found this website, so I'm thinking you already made your decision. I'm interested to know if you went through with it or not, and if you did, were you successful? We've been working with Davison since early 2007, and have yet to see any return on our investment, which is well over $16, 000 by now. Our idea was also an idea that by all rights, should have been successful. I hope you didn't get sucked in also.
    Poorer in CA

• Wi
    William Mills Apr 15, 2011

WOW!!! if only I had seen all this before I gave them $7000 for nothing (and I do mean absolutely nothing), maybe I would have made the right decision to stay away and not get ripped off, but my story is the same as all of yours, they used my hopes to lure me in and then they stomped on my dreams, and they set me up in a way where somehow it was my fault that they ripped me off.

• Rf
    r faison Apr 05, 2011

Hello,

My name is RLF from Chicago,

I am currently working with Davidsons to market my oral care product. My product is in the licensing department, and I am waiting on a response from Davidson and the targeting company.

I truly understand that products/inventions aren't guaranteed to be marketable with target companies; however, these are chances we take. Remember, this is the beginning of the rest of your lives.

In order to improve the ways of life, inventors must create ideas that are absolutely beneficial to the consumers needs.

Having faith and determination, and willing to sacrifice for your invention will take you to the road of success.

I am satisfied with Davidson's services to date. Gary Humes and Wilma Wallace has been sensitive to my needs by providing excellent customer service.

Davidson and team has helped me bring my idea/invention to a reality, and that in itself, is an honor. My time and patience has given great contributions to this project. Therefore I am proud to have gotten this far with an idea.

• Ca
    Carolhphall Sep 01, 2018

@r faison personally you have been asked by someone like davison .or davison himself to take a bullet for the company .you are wrong and you no you are .these people like myself who get scammed and your the only one that got everything bang on and no complaints from you .odd man out comes to mind i was taken for 700dollars becaude i stay on the other side of the world, , its not allowed wish i hadnt sent them my money and asked for more how gready do they become .people like me trusted companies to play fair ..not the case here they are scamming people except you off course

Savvy Salgaonkar Mar 18, 2011

Lol Amiga, Ich kann kein espanol, aber kannst du einfach Deutsch oder Inglies
    Savvy xx

• Na
    nancy arreola Mar 18, 2011

holla sr.baca usted me mando un mail pero no le entiedo kisiera saber si me puede mandar la informacion en espanol por favor ya que es mas facil para mi se lo agradesco.

• First, we would like to note the fact that in the past competitors have posted false and malicious complaints about us on the internet. Instead of choosing to compete by offering economical product design, development and packaging services they have chosen to confuse consumers with false information. We don’t know if this person is a client or not because they did not include any contact information, not even an email address. We have found in the past that competitors hide behind “internet handles” rather than out in the open where their own conduct can be questioned. If a real client has a complaint they were really trying to resolve, why would they post anonymously?
    Let’s break this down for the phantom blogger who goes by the internet handle “CompBMem”.

Response to A) Yes. The company, along with many other companies in the invention development industry, was sued by the FTC in 1997. The trial court ruled against the company and the case went up for appeal. While it was on appeal, the parties reached a settlement. Within the settlement, Davison agreed to provide more risk statements and greater transparency. That is the past. Now, for the present….

All clients and even potential clients are provided risk statements through an Affirmative Disclosure and the American Inventor Protection Act disclosure. No other company on the globe has this degree of disclosure and no one can compete based on the quality of product design and development services at the price points we offer.

Response to C (there was no B)) We do have an “F” rating with the BBB. What people don’t realize is that the BBB has been widely accused of being a “Pay to Play” scheme. You can learn more about the BBB by accessing the ABC News report - BBB Exposed as “Consumer Watchdog Accused of Running ‘Pay for Play’ Scheme With Grading System” – see it here http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/business-bureau-best-ratings-money-buy/story?id=12123843 We answer every complaint the BBB provides and make a good faith effort to resolve any dispute. What people don’t realize is that over the time period that the 230 complaints were received, we are contacted for services by well over a 500, 000 people.

Response to the second C) Forbes Magazine did run an article about the company. So did many other periodicals. Nearly all are positive stories about the innovation coming from the company.

Response to D) Our company’s and clients’ products have been sold by over 700 stores & online retailers. Our staff designs products for both individuals and corporate clients. We have over 250 staff members. By the way, we don’t sell the products online or anywhere else. We license products to manufacturers who turn around and manufacture and sell them. Now, tell us how many products or patents you have successfully placed in stores, how many prototypes you have built, how many licensing agreements you have signed, your staff count and, of course, we’d like to know why you chose to complain instead of competing on quality of service offerings and price?

The company does more than tell people that they will most likely not be successful, it provides all of the data for product ideas submitted to it over the past five years so that prospective clients can see everything. No one else is that transparent.

Response to E) This is a complete fabrication by you. We do not tell anyone that we have a “vested interest in the success of your product”. In fact, our disclosure tells people that we make our money from fees. In addition, our contracts tell our clients outright that we do not evaluate their product ideas and the fact that we are willing to take a percentage of royalties is in no way a statement that we believe they will make money. Your fabrication is actionable and you’re not going to be able to hide behind the Communication Decency Act. We strongly advise you to review Complaintsboard.com’s legal disclaimers as to your responsibility for defamatory posts.

We do have service offers that include royalty sharing - which we are happy to earn from our hard work. We also have an hourly rate within our agreements that does not include any royalty arrangements. Customers can choose options which means they can choose not to share in any possible royalties. Therefore, trying to imply there is something negative about sharing in some form of royalty arrangement displays your lack of knowledge of how the new product development industry negotiates royalties – even with manufacturers.

Response to F) Obviously, you believe we should work for free and, of course, not collect royalties either. Please describe to us all the companies in the United States that you know of that work for free. How many prototype shops work for free? How many patent attorneys work for free? Do you work for free? Does the U.S. government work for free? We are in the business of building product samples and packaging. When you are in business you are obliged to pay the staff, taxes, operation expenditures, vendors, suppliers, utility companies, and so on and so on. Please contact your local patent attorney or prototype fabrication shop and ask if they charge fees for new product development services. For that matter, ask your local plumber or auto mechanic if they will work for you for free. If they won’t, then can we expect your complaint about them, too?

Our contracts are airtight. Contracts are supposed to be. Parties are supposed to enter into contracts knowing what they are getting and what they are giving. Our customers know the risks of product development and what services they are getting for their payment. You apparently want the contract to give customers a “loophole” so that if they enter into development knowing the risks, they can still get their money back after the company has performed the services, bought materials, paid employees, etc. Like so many people today, you don’t want to be responsible for your risks and your contracts. You want your development handed to you for free and backed up with someone else’s money.

Response to G) Yes we are responding to anonymous bloggers and stating facts. When you anonymously post, you consider it fair, but when the company responds with its version of the story, it is suddenly unfair. (What you don’t realize is how “gripe-sites” work. You might find this interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUFDeDrbNyw)

No one here tells clients to disregard the risks for their idea or calls their ideas revolutionary. Every client receives the written risk disclosures twice and then more reminders of the disclosures in every contract. Some people read them and decide that the risk is acceptable because they want to take a chance on making something. Far more people read them and decide that the risk is not acceptable. That is their choice and that is the point of providing the information.

If you are an inventor, which we doubt, we wish you the best of luck with your invention. Please, please do not contact us for development services. You obviously exist in an alternate reality where you believe that everyone should shower you with money for coming up with an idea and where it is always someone else’s fault when your dreams don’t come true.

CCA