XM radio / Misleading offer

I have been an XM subscriber for several years now and listen to XM via the car's receiver (both of my cars have it so I have a multiple user account) when on the road, or via the online service when at home or work. I have broadband connections and so the online service sounded relatively ok at the high speed rate. I was notified in February 2009 that on March 11, the online service would no longer be part of my package. However, if I agreed to sign on for another 3 years at this offer time, I could continue to receive online content. So I did and my credit card was billed.

After March 11, I went to the XM online site and went to my favorite music station. This time, the music sounded horrible and realized that I was listening to it at the lower data rate. When I went to switch to the higher rate (as before), I was told that the higher rate required additional fees! I was not told of this in the original offer and the quality of the lower data rate is unacceptable.

A  11th of Sep, 2009 by
When is there going to be a class action suit against this company?

I have spent the last week dealing with them over their "Premium Online" services that supposedly allow you to listen to the radio on your iPhone for free. I have been disconnected numerous times when asking for a supervisor, never did get a supervisor on the phone after 5 calls to Listener Care, and have since been emailing back and forth with the Cheif Service Officer of the company with no real result and little care.

At the end of March of this year I went to listen to XM online. This was a service that was included with my monthly service I had been paying for for a number of years. It wouldn't work. When I called in I was told that the new SiriusXM radio had upgraded there online service to a faster and higher quality "Premium Online" account that I had to pay a monthly fee for. Of course, I wasn't very happy about them taking something that was included in my plan and telling me I now had to pay for it. Well I wasn't going to do that. So the agent told me that if I purchased a Lifetime Plan that it included the new "Premium Online" services. So I did it. Well, when SiriusXM released the iPhone app that was free for Premium Online account holders I was excited. My excitement was short lived when I tried to log onto my Premium Account only to find out that it was restricted. That is when my phone calls to Listener Care began a week ago. Initially I was told that I did have a lifetime "Premium Online" account that was paid for and that the agent didn't know why it wouldn't work with my iPhone so she transferred me to tech support. Tech support told me that because my "Premium Online" service was included with my Lifetime Plan purchase that I essentially got it for free so I was going to have to pay the monthly fee for the Premium account if I wanted to listen to it on my iPhone. What!? I have a Premium account that I purchased with my Lifetime Plan and yet I don't get all the benefits of that plan. Asking to speak with a Supervisor was pointless as one never came to the phone . Calling the headquarters in Washington DC was pointless because they don't answer the switchboard. I did finally get the phone number of someone in the Sirius corporate offices in New York by phoning every number I could find for XM and getting a nice girl who looked in her company directory. I then contacted the supposed Director of Listener Care, but he wasn't the Director. He was going to pass my info along to the appropriate party. I decided to also send emails to every executive in the company by guessing the email extensions as well as the Board of Directors. I didn't get any responses from any of those individuals in regards to my complaint. Although someone did forward my email to the Chief Service Officer Joe Zarella who had very little concern with my complaint. He did tell me that back in March they changed their online listening from the lower 32 mpbs which was free to the Premium 128 mpbs which had a fee of $2.99 per month. He said that Lifetime Plan members at the time of the switch were still able to listen to the lower 32 mpbs for free (then why couldn't the monthly members). I told him that I wasn't a previous lifetime plan member. I purchased the lifetime Plan after the switch in response to losing that benefit and being offered the "Premium" service as part of the Lifetime Plan. If it wasn't included I wouldn't have purchased the Lifetime plan. He then wanted to know the purchase date. When I told him his response was, "Ok, let me see what I can do." Well what he did was give me the "Premium Service" for the next 2 years, not lifetime like I paid for. He said that I had the 32 mpbs service, but that makes no sense since I purchased the plan after they switched to the Premium Service. So why would they sell me the lower service when they apparently didn't have that anymore? This company misrepresented what they were selling me and now will not honor what I paid for.

I am not the only unhappy customer when it comes to this issue. Over 60, 000 people on the iPhone app reviews have given it the lowest score with most complaints being about charging $2.99/mo for something that used to be free.

This company is a ripoff and they don't care about customer service because they have the monopoly now. Why care about customers. Especially customers like me who already paid for a lifetime plan. They aren't making any more money off me so who cares.

People need to stand up and say enough is enough.
N  17th of Nov, 2009 by
So, I have been a long time multiple unit subscriber to XM only to find that again what I subscribed for and pay for has been changed for the worse since Sirus joined the mix...

My included online is no longer included and because I didn't increase my subscription to include SIRUS stations I can't pay the 2.99 per month for the online access - I have to upgrade and pay for the SIRUS/XM Premium package for all of my radios or pay what someone without a radio subscription pays -12.99 per month for the online...

Now for the real challenge... cancelling my subscription and buying the Slacker G2 - that allows for online listening, downloading, choosing your stations, choosing what artist... In my opinion... a much better product!!!

Bye Bye Sirus