Wells Fargo / terrible customer service

Worst customer service I've ever had with any bank. A lot of hidden and unexpected charges and fee. When I close the account, the Branch Manager told me I had to personally go to a bank and close it off. When I brought my balance to $0, she said I could call her the next day and she will close it for me. I called and she was never available (either in meeting or on the phone), or returned my call. I found out now, I can just all the general number and close it off. They really suck.

Va

Comments

19th of Jun, 2008

First off, I'd like to preface this by saying that I have worked in a bank in all positions, excluding personal banking and management so I know how a bank should operate and what they are and are no capable of doing, the only reason I no longer have an account at my old company is because I moved from Canada to the US. In addition to this, I have worked in sales and customer service for 14 years. The Wells Fargo that I frequented just opened this week, in a very community based area, which is what makes this incident all the more disappointing.

I had to cancel my debit/credit card last week as I had lost it and while waiting for my replacement card, I had to go into the bank yesterday to withdraw money. I did so by writing myself a cheque to cash and left ( $60 given in three $20 bills). Bear in mind, I don't have an ATM card so that is the only way to get cash from my acct. This morning, I went to buy something in my neighborhood and when I went to pay with one the $20 bills that the teller gave me yesterday, the business owner was hesitant as the bill was very old and looked like it may have been fake (the bill was from 1973). He asked that I get a new bill or get it verified. I wasn't upset, I just crossed the street and returned to the same branch I frequented yesterday and asked that they check the bill and issue a new one if indeed it was a counterfeit- I was sure that the bank would assume responsibility for giving me a faulty bill. ( Any central bank teller, if they are doing their job properly should sort through the bank's bills and remove "mutilated bills"; anything that can be seen as a bill that should be taken out of circulation. The bank sends these back and gets the money replaced with newer bills). The teller explained that she needed to talk to her manager then went to another teller and asked a question. When she came back, she told me that it was my responsibility to know if a bill is real or fake and to take action before leaving the bank. I told her this was ridiculous: I withdrew money from my acct and the teller that deducted that money gave me what appeared to be fake money and because I was in a rush and trusted that a bank carries real money, that's my fault??? I told her that understood it wasn't her fault but that I needed to speak to her manager. At that point, she went to get the manager- a different person than the teller she had just conferred with- and when the manager came over to where I was, once he had safely locked himself behind the protective glass (which was just comical, I'm a 110 lb, 5'3 in, female) he finally acknowledged me.

Here's where it get offensive. The manager tells me that " There's no way this bill came from this bank"
    ( verbatim). When I explained that it's on my acct profile that I didn't have a bank card and that there was no way I got the bill from elsewhere, he went on to say that since it was brand new branch, there was "no way the bill could be from here because obviously, this bill is fake and that would just never happen, we're brand new just like all of our cash." He then went on to say that he understood my frustration but there was nothing that could be done since the bill didn't originate from Wells Fargo. So what I got from him was:

1) Even though I'm client ( with a good banking history) I'm lying.
    2) I took the bill I got from the bank and exchanged it for a counterfeit and decided to go to the bank and get them to assume responsibility. ( Yeah, that makes sense. In addition to the hassle, that's just stupid.)
    3) It doesn't matter what the situation is, they won't help.
    I told him, that it was a real shame that this is the way the branch has chosen to handle things seeing as it's their first week being open in a tight knit community.
    Here's the kicker: After leaving, I went across the street to another bank and asked them to check the bill for me. Turns out the bill was REAL and they took it and issued me a new one. So, not only does Wells Fargo treat their customers like dirt while other banks will gladly help but they don't even do the most basic part of their job at Wells Fargo. If the teller and the bank manager had taken the simple step or running the bill under a counterfeit checker, this whole thing could have been avoided. I was sufficiently upset at Wells Fargo and have told the tellers in the competing bank about my experience as well as several others that I came into contact with today. I will continue to spread the word that Wells Fargo stinks. I also dropped everything I was doing at the time to call and file a complaint against the manager and the branch.

It's shame that the unintelligent drones that work there don't understand the concepts of customer service, respectful approach, word of mouth marketing and how one dissatisfied customer can lead to a greater loss of business.

• Ec
      15th of Jul, 2008

I have seen many complaints about ASC. ASC is a front for Wells Fargo. On the upper right hand side of your bill is a correspondence address. If it is PO BOX 10328 in Des Moines, Iowa 50306 your branch of ASC is affiliated with Edward Jones Mortgage, LLC. These guys are affiliated with Wells Fargo Ventures, LLC. The bottom line is the top of the food chain here as best as I have researched thus far is James Strother, EVP and General Counsel of Wells Fargo & Co.. His listed address (assuming it is his business address) is 633 Folsom St., San Francisco, CA 94107. He sits in a fairly prestigious position on the Wells Fargo Board of Directors.

From what I can tell he is the head of this monster. I have been researching this for a few hours and it is 4:44am so I am going to bed. I will add to this as I uncover. Next up is his phone and fax. There is also an ASC operating out of St. Louis, MO tied to Wells Fargo Resources, Berkshire Mortgage Co. and Texas-Western Co., whoever they are. They are next. Once we have some names and faces to go after we can start asking for professional treatment or we can pursue litigation. It is time to force these skunks out of the shadows they hide in.

25th of Nov, 2008

I have an auto loan with wells fargo...they are usually quite pleasant and helpful however TODAY...I spoke with a young woman that obviously needs training in Customer Service and a serious attitude adjustment. She should attempt another career because client interaction definitely is not her thing. I think her name was "Shanika...Shamika" who knows. Get another job girlfriend!!!

• Da
      28th of Apr, 2009

We are casting a documentary about unfair bank policies. Looking for stories with complaints about banks. If you are cast we will pay you. If interested contact bellmartel@sbcglobal.net for more information. Casting needs to be concluded by May 1st, 2009.

• Ke
      19th of Jun, 2009

We have been locked in for 30 days and are constantly being asked to give the same information we have already given. No cooperation from the person handling the refi.

• Ds
      6th of May, 2013

Last Saturday, at a local restaurant, I tried to use a Wells Fargo Credit/Debit Card. The card was denied and I was told there was a block on the card. I called Wells Fargo and talked with a customer service person who kept asking for verification questions and after answering the questions, she continued asking for more questions. After the second round of questions I asked for a supervisor. The supervisor read from a script and told me that the $40 dollar transaction was unusual and that is why a block was placed. I told her that I wanted to avoid this problem in the future (Wells has done this twice now) and asked what was unusual about the transaction. She told me it was unusual because of my patterns. I asked what was unusual about the pattern and was told that it was an unusual transaction. I then asked for this person's supervisor and was after introducing myself, disconnected. This is the most hokey unprofessional company imaginable. I don't think they could transact business in a worse manner.