Wells Fargo / wells fargo lost my $4,000 check

I called a Wells Fargo Customer representative and asked, "If I mail you a check in British pounds, will you be able to deposit that check into my Wells Fargo checking account in USD?
The representative said, "Wait, let me ask..." and she returned and said, "Yes."
So I mailed them a check with the amount 2, 100 British pounds worth about $4, 000 USD at the time.
The check was never cashed and was never returned to me.
When I called to inquire, every time I was asked to call back in a couple of weeks, until one day they said our policy is to return the checks we cannot cash. When I asked the organization that issued the check, they said their records show it was never cashed and their bank advised them to not issue another one until the check is returned.
One year later and the check has not been returned to me nor to the original issuer of the check.
This is Wells Fargo for you. I have emptied my checking amount and do not intent to do business with them anymore.
They lost my $4, 000 USD.

Comments

• Se
      27th of Mar, 2010

Who's to blame!

How do you know it was Wells Fargo who lost your check? Why didn't you get the check re-issued? Why would you mail in a $4, 000 deposit in the first place? Seems funny to mail in a check when there are branches and ATM almost everywhere.

• Um
      1st of Apr, 2010

I was in England at the time and there are no Wells Fargo branches here.
    I had confirmed over the phone the address to send the check to and whether they accept checks written in British pounds.
    Later over the phone, they confirmed receipt of the check but did not explain why the check was not deposited.
    The issuing organization said until we do not know the whereabouts of the check, we cannot issue another one.
    I hope this answers your questions, otherwise reply again.

I have in the past mailed checks to Bank of America and TD Bank (Canada) and had no problems with them.

• Sh
      16th of Jun, 2010

Did Wells Fargo say they returned the check to you since they had received it to start with? Maybe it got lost in the mail. Maybe you should try telling that to the company who issued you the check (have they not heard of a stop payment?!). This does not sound like Wells Fargo's fault directly.

• Ro
      19th of Oct, 2010

My mother is going through a similar situation. She received a letter from Wells Fargo saying that they mailed a check to her job in 2006, but she never received the check. The letter she received told her that the check came back to the company and that they would send her another check all she had to do was to check the yes box that she was entitled to the check. It's been almost two months and she still hasn't gotten the check. Everytime she calls the reps are telling her that she is entitled to the money because it is hers, but still no check yet. On the letter is the number of the check they had first issued her, which she never got. How can my mother be sure that they are not trying to get over on her? Do she need to get a lawyer or just report Wells Fargo to the Better Business Bureau?

28th of Nov, 2012

someone took out 14 thousand dollars from my escrow account. I called and put a stop-payment on the check. Now the money is missing and Wells Fargo can't provide me with a copy of the check or tell me where and if the check was deposited or anything. HOW IS A MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR COMPANY NOT ABLE TO TRACK A FRIGGIN CHECK?!?!??!