Wawa / free drink satisfaction survey coupon/ wawa employee

1 Wilmington, CA, United States

My boyfriend and I fill out your satisfaction surveys almost daily and get a free cup of coffee every morning we stopped at Wawa. Today when we went to stop at the Wawa on Naamans Road and Ridge Road in Wilmington Delaware we had a valid coupon for a free soft drink or hot beverage after filling out your servey earlier that morning and after we made our coffees and approached the register to be rung up, the elderly lady said that the coupons were no longer able to be used since the company policy changed today stating the coupon sent yo our emails were no longer redeemable. Coming from a job myself where customer service is of the utmost importance I understand your company's policy change but there were no signs to notify customers of such change and when we filled the surveys out coupons were still sent to her email with expiration date still being valid as of today. Neither my boyfriend or I had brought cash with us since we have never had a problem utilizing the coupons as part of our morning routine and explain that to the cashier. This is the most diss satisfying experience I've ever had not only at Wawa but any commercial vendor I have ever been to and this is what the response was from the Wawa staff on duty. First, when the coupon was not taking off the price the woman looked at it and said, "It's for soft drinks only, " in which my boyfriend and I reviewed the coupon details even though we had the knowledge of what it was supposed to be discounting since we utilize them daily and replied politely by pointing out the words for any self serve soft drink or any hot beverage, and then explained to the cashier we didn't have cash, just our phones, since that's the only thing we typically needed when we were only getting coffee. Then came the problem; the other cashier - a larger African American with the most horrendous attitude - interrupted saying, "Well even if you have a survey coupon, we're not taking them anymore [mind you it was an overnight 'policy' change but your company was still sending out coupons and not advising customers of such difference] and if you don't have payment for it, you can just leave the coffee is there and we can throw it out". I was absolutely flabbergasted. My boyfriend and I both work full-time and come to Wawa seven days a week to fill up on gas, to purchase our cigarettes, to grab coffee and other household items daily from your store and was in great support of endorsing your business, until my experience today. Truly good customer service would be letting us know that the deal is no longer valid and though the coupon was sent to us and it still had a good expiration date we could give you the coffees today but after today we can no longer honor that deal. If the coffee's were being thrown in the garbage anyway, what did Wawa have to gain from alienating two great returning customers? My boyfriend was Furious and I was just really upset and pissed about how the situation was handled. The worst part about it wasn't even the fact that we weren't able to obtain the product we originally went to Wawa for, especially at the discounted price we were expecting, but that the cashier was so outlandishly rude and unprofessional that I can testify I will never go back to that Wawa again, possibly never returning at ANY Wawa chain at all if I can help it. It looks like the Shell gas station being built down the street on Naamans Road will be taking on our business for our morning coffees amongst other daily purchases because I refuse to be treated so horribly by a company I return to on a daily basis.

Mi