Washington Mutual / Fraud and scam
I am closing my Washington Mutual checking account today, which I should have done years ago, when this pattern began. What they claim is that customers who have a home equity line with them get free checking. What they actually do is give it free for a while, long enough for you to stop checking for bank fees. They they slip in a $20 monthly fee, and you're still not checking, since you have it in writing that you won't be charged. After a while, you get a notice that your account is overdrawn.
In this last case, it turns out they have been charging me for nine months. Guess how much they will refund? Three of those months. Their script goes that it's the customer's responsibility to check their statements for fees. My response is why do they expect customers to check for fees that, in writing, state will not be charged. I know one other person who left the bank for the same reason. I'd venture there are many, many people being ripped off. I've been shorted $120 that the bank is pocketing, and that is only what I know of. Chances are this has been going on for years without my catching it.
And f.y.i., the script issued to me on the phone by two different supervisors tips off the scam: Why would a bank, or any business, not correct their own errors that occurred more than 90 days earlier? Because they know they have a lot of people who actually believe they aren't being charged and they can run up the bills well past 90 days. What an unethical way to run a business.
More Washington Mutual Complaints & Reviews
- Washington Mutual - Loan modification and incorrect credit report 
- Washington Mutual - Overdraft charges! 
- Washington Mutual - Unethical practices and buying out mortgages 
- Washington Mutual - Anyone that considers opening accounts with them should beware! 
- Washington Mutual - Customer service on payoff! 
- Washington Mutual - Unethical treatment of Wamu clients 
- Washington Mutual - Fraudulent charges
- Washington Mutual - Unauthorized billing
- Washington Mutual - How WAMU contributed to the mortgage meltdown 
- Washington Mutual - unaccounted cashing of my $1430 check