Walmart Picture Me Portrait Studios / making extra pictures without permission

Sterling Heights, MI, United States Review updated:
When I went to pick up the pictures of my daughter from the studio, they showed me an extra 4 sheets. They gave me the options of purchasing them for an extra $20.oo. I asked them what happened to the pictures if I didn't purchase them and they told me that they send them back to the company where they destroy them. I then asked if they could promise me that they would be destroyed. She joking laughed and said I would like to think that you could trust people. Well, personally I do NOT just trust other people that I don't know whom have pictures of my 9 month old daughter dressed up as Tinker Bell. Absolutely NOT!!! When I called the company to complain, all she could do was apoligize over and over. She then said that they have been making extra copies for a few years and apoligized again. Then asked me if I would ever go there again. I instantly replied no I wouldn't and she asked if there was anything else that she could help me with then. I find all this to be extremely rude and unanswered. I have never heard of a company making extra pictures WITHOUT my permission of MY child. I hope that no one ever go there to get pictures done, you never know where your childrens pictures may end up with them.
Sa

Comments

Ca
  29th of Oct, 2008
The extras that they print are an attempt at impulse sales. If you don't purchase them, they are shredded and thrown away at store level, not sent back to the company.

Obviously you had a new person who was told the standard line.
Ja
  2nd of Nov, 2008
This company and all other companies make extra copies at all times. Any time you go into ANY professional portrait studio they own the copyright. You can not even make a copy with out the copy right or you could face a 10, 000.00 dollar fine and jail time.

So next time you decided to buy professional portraits at any location remember you do not own them, you only bought copies of what the company now owens, a picute of your child.
Am
  29th of Nov, 2008
yes, all professional portrait companies produce extras- even companies that develop your film do this-- for sales! if you want to own your copywritten photos, take them yourself and have developed. but, that developer may still make copies and offer enlargements to you at some extra cost or deal of the day!
Ap
  20th of Dec, 2008
I understand how you feel however, when you have portraits made at PictureMe or any other professional studio, the studio or freelance photographer OWNS those photos therefore they do not have to have the permission of the customer to print extras, use them for promotion, place them in a portfolio, etc. The extra prints are printed to try to encourage you to purchase more. If you do not purchase them they are destroyed. Our studios are required to hold them for up to 60 days fot auditing purposes and they must stay locked away for safe keeping. Hope this helps. :)
At
  21st of Apr, 2009
yeah they do make extras. It's a sales thing. Also they sometimes audit the photography skills of the photographer to make sure they're doing they're job correctly. They get destroyed later on. Don't worry -nobody- wants pictures of your kids. They wont end up in the wrong hands.

Walmart Stores Logo Walmart Stores