Vonage / Fraud

1 Rockville, MD, United States Review updated:

Signed up for Vonage phone service in December 2007.
Received their modem and instructions for activation.
Despite following the enclosed instructions exactly, the Vonage modem could NOT activated.
Called Vonage technical support.
They walked me through the activation procedure. At the end of their instructions, I had NO dial tone and NO phone service.
Vonage technical support stated that a technician would have to be sent to my home. I scheduled an appointment day with them.
No technician showed up at my home on that day.
I called up Vonage to close my account.
The Vonage representative stated that I would have to return the Vonage modem before my account could be closed.
I sent back the Vonage modem, and then called Vonage to confirm receipt.
The Vonage representative confirmed that my modem had arrived back at Vonage on January 8, 2008.
Within less than one month Vonage had charged my credit card again --- for $50.00.
I called Vonage and their representative stated that return of the Vonage modem is necessary to close a Vonage account, but not sufficient. She said that I also had to call Vonage to close my account. Because I had not called Vonage after confirming that Vonage had received my returned modem, my account remained open. Therefore, according to the Vonage representative it made no difference that I had NO modem and NO phone service from Vonage. She said that I was still obligated to pay Vonage.
I asked her why the return of the Vonage modem did not automatically close my account.
She said that Vonage considers that to be a "change in acount status" that provides NO reason to close an account. In other words, Vonage considers that a returned modem, which of course eliminates all possibility of Vonage phone service, provides NO grounds for discontinued service and account closure. Because my acccount remained "open", Vonage then charged away against my credit card, against which they submitted another $89.00 in charges AFTER receiving my modem back.
I went over all these things with a Vonage representative, and all she said over and over again was, "We charge against all open accounts whether phone service is provided or not. That is strict Vonage policy. It is your fault. You should have called to close your account after returning your modem."
I then asked the Vonage representative why Vonage did not close my account after receiving back my modem. She said, "According to Vonage policy, account closure is a customer responsibility. You did not close your account. It is your fault."
VONAGE RUNS THE CRIMINAL SCAM DESCRIBED ABOVE TO DELIBERATELY COMMIT CREDIT CARD FRAUD AGAINST FORMER CUSTOMERS. WHAT VONAGE DOES IS NO MISTAKE, NO ACCIDENT. VONAGE MANAGEMENT HAS CALCULATED THAT VONAGE CAN GAIN MILLIONS OF DOLLARS MORE FROM DISCONTINUED CUSTOMERS JUST BY BLAMING THEM FOR NOT CALLING VONAGE AGAIN AFTER RETURNING THEIR MODEMS TO VONAGE.
VONAGE IS A CRIMINAL, CRIMINAL, CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION THAT SHOULD BE PUT OUT OF BUSINESS.

Comments

• Bh
      13th of Feb, 2009

I had vonage for about 2 months and didnt like the service. So, i decided to cancel it and go back to VERIZON. Vonage charged me over $100 to cancel and $49.99 for their "router" which was originally $9.95. I was on the phone for about one hour agruing with the guy and still wouldnt refund my money. No wonder they take money right from your account. they never even told me about these fees, so in other words i didnt agree to them. I submitted a complaint to BBB about 3 months ago. They still didnt reply to me. Vonage is a scam and there should be a class action lawsuit against them.

23rd of Mar, 2009

I pay $51/month for a phone line and a fax line, this month my bill rocketed to $131 because I went over my monthly limit of 1, 000 minutes! 0 faxes, but too many minutes. For $9.95/month everyone else gets unlimited use of their phone. I thought I'd at least get unlimited minutes too for twice the money! I'm sorry to say that VONAGE too is part of the worst in corpeRATe America, greedy.

• Ji
      8th of Apr, 2009

i was asked to call 1-800-454 5400 this was phone sex i listened less than 10 seconds. my phone record with vonage was for 9 minutes, this took place on 4-8-09 at 4:36 pm

• Ji
      8th of Apr, 2009

i was asked to call 800-454-5400 this was phone sex. i listened less than 10seconds. myvonage phone record was charged 9 minutes

• Do
      12th of May, 2009

Turn them over to the BBB. I did this & my account was closed & refunded in less than 2 weeks!

• Oc
      7th of Jul, 2009

Started subscription to Vonage in October 2007. I had been a subscriber to AT&T for years but the cheap prices lured me over. Was that a huge mistake!

The first complaint was constant breaking up of the voice. Either from my end or the receiving end. I called and I went though some procedures with a individual I could hardly understand. He got that working to some degree.

A month or so after that I got a call from a friend on my cell phone that said they had been trying to get a hold of us for days. I tried my Vonage phone with my cell phone and although it was ringing in the cell it sure wasn't ringing at the house. Again we went through the same procedure with questionable results but they did get it ringing again.

Finally the three strikes and your out theory the phone rang and as soon as it was answered it disconnected. I again called from my cell and as soon as my wife answered it disconnected on her and I got data noise in the cell phone. I reset the Vonage modem and that stopped the disconnect but the breaking up of the voice started all over again.

Now the kicker. I called and disconnected service. They said because I hadn't been in service for three years they were billing me $114.89 disconnect fee. I NEVER agreed to such nonsense and told them NOT to bill my checkcard for the sum. They did it anyway. Now I've got the bank to go through and reverse the charges.

If you're going to subscribe to Vonage you're in for the telephone service from hell.

• Jr
      25th of Oct, 2009

Vonage charges for the service before the device arrives (before you use their service). So basically they start billing you when you sign-up for the service, but you will be able use their service only when you get the device (usually device arrives about 10 days, once you sign-up). That seems to be unfair

• Mi
      5th of Jul, 2010

Vonage hit me for an increased annual subscription when I never asked for it, and for 10 % more than last years amount, without advising me or obtaining my permission.

Not only did they do that, but they manged to charge it to a date expired credit card.

Not stopping there, they perpetrated a fraud as I was on a call to them to change from an annual to a monthly subscription. They told me that they had charged an annual subscription the day before I called, which turned out to be a straight up lie, since they did it while I was talking to them about switching to a monthly subscription.

The credit card company later verified the date and time as being the time I was on the call.

I will be advising the FCC and I have already asked for a fraud investigation by my credit card company.

Mike W.

• Mi
      5th of Jul, 2010

unbelievable

• Sr
      15th of Sep, 2010

Vonage advertise it as "Free Unlimited Calls", but it is not actually Unlimited. They had a cut of 5000 minutes per month for residential plan which costs $37.00 and now they revised that to 3000 minutes per month with out even notifying the change in policy. Then send emails to disconnect the service. Considering international calls we get calling cards from Airtel/reliance etc for $10 which supports 600 minutes of talk time. that too we can call from wherever we need, land line - cell . Vonage is a crap.

• Rs
      16th of Sep, 2010

same thing happen to me as sry234 said. They as me to increase the rate plan to $50 that will enables me .003$ per minutes, Vonage is cheating the customer saying "Unlimited calling Plan".

• S1
      16th of Dec, 2017

Vonage customer information is available outside its network for fraud to happen. I have the similar issue where Vonage is claiming a fraud person call me with all the details and add new line for Vonage account. I am being charged twice for my existing line and New line and when we call to find out what's going on, the Customer service Representative & supervisor both being rude.

They don't even want to cancel one line or port in the old line. No agreement that sales teams has performed the fraud and now asking $136 contract amount.

Going with legal complaint through CRTC