Vonage / Unauthorized charges to my credit card

We got the Vonage service as they offered cheap International call rates. I ordered the V-phone (device that connects to the USB of the computer). Suppose to be great for travelers. You can call from any computer with a DSL or cable service. Well that was the mistake I made. My credit card was charged $39.99 for the device and I received it in 2 days. After about 5 days the device just stopped working so I called customer service to get a replacement. Spoke to someone with an Indian accent who I think didn't understand my needs cause my card was charged again for a second device. Called back to complain and the reversed the charges after 7 days. Received the second device after a few days with a new number. To my surprise I received a third device with another after a few more days. By then I was so upset that I called to cancel the service all entirely. The Indian lady on the line did not want to cancel the service. She gave me every excuse she could think of for not cancelling the service. I was transfered back to the US where they gave my 3 confirmation numbers for return items and an address in New Jersey to send the devices back to. Since it was 3 devices I asked if I can ship all in one box since I had to pay the shipping cost. After a few days I got an email stating they had received and processed 1 device. So I called to find out what happened to the other 2 devices that were in the same box. They said that they only received 1 device so I was owing them 2 more devices costing $39.99 each and I couldn't get a refund of the original $39.99 I paid since they couldn't find the 2 devices. I was outraged. I had to block my credit card from them and get a new one since they keep trying to charge me for devices I didn't have. FED UP!!To date I have not received any refund from Vonage.

A  19th of Jan, 2008 by
SUE for a full refund in small claims court

ALWAYS communicate with Vonage via POSTAL mail (paper).

Vonage is the new MCI: they're good at selling but have ZERO interest in customer service, have ZERO ethics, and don't even have the best audio codecs. You're call quality will suffer with vonage. Most of their money is spent on advertising. Their "support" model is like AOL: paying abusive cretins that use vonage with free vonage service. ZERO accountability!!

You're better off with VoicePulse.com or even voip.com. VoicePulse has the BEST quality audio codecs with the lowest compression. $20/mo unlimited National. They also offer lower bandwidth codecs. I use them. They're a little slow implementing new features. It's been TWO years and no new features.. but they will never screw you like vonage does.

For best results use a router that works with DD-WRT.com firmware!

VoicePulse is the only service that offers five features to protect your privacy.

* Telemarketer Block stops telemarketers even before your phone rings.
* Anonymous Call Block stops all unidentified calls. (I LOVE this feature!)
* Do Not Disturb stops all calls.
* Filters let you configure who can ring your phone and who can't. (puts an end to abusive family calls)
* CallerID Block stops others from seeing your phone number when you make calls. (if I don't get to see who it is they are NOT ALLOWED to ring MY phone)

voicepulse can also email voicemail.

Combine with YouMail.com for your mobile phone -- screw verizon wireless!

If you're techically savvy consider getting OPEN SOURCE asterisk and setting up your own VoIP system that's SIP friendly.. with EVERY FEATURE imaginable..

save even more money!!

"Asterisk is the world’s leading open source telephony engine and tool kit. Offering flexibility unheard of in the world of proprietary communications, Asterisk empowers developers and integrators to create advanced communication solutions...for free"

"AsteriskNOW is an open source Software Appliance; a customized Linux distribution that includes Asterisk (the leading open source telephony engine and tool kit), the AsteriskGUI™, and all other software needed for an Asterisk system. AsteriskNOW is easy to install, and offers flexibility, functionality and features not available in advanced, high-cost proprietary business systems."

The VoIP providers, especially vonage, will hate me for informing you about asterisk! ;)

spread the word and screw vonage into non-existence

web ads suck too. never see another one. get all three easylists: http://easylist.adblockplus.org

Vonage Logo Vonage