Vodacom / account not in arrears

1 South Africa

14 DAYS UNIT MY CASE IS HANDED OVER TO THE OMBUDSMAN
With reference to my numerous e-mails and correspondence, the most recent dated Friday, 14 December 2018 at 13:27, for which I still have not received any communication or reply.

My account has never been in arrears by the amount stated on the Final Letter of Demand dated 08 October 2018. I have made numerous calls to Vodacom Customer Care and forwarded correspondence to every possible e-mail address made available to me, yet nobody is responding to my queries and no one seems to be in a position to assist me or provide me with any information regarding this claim.

I have forwarded all my correspondence, statements, receipts and transaction reports to the recovery agency, Vodashop/Repairs ValueMart Centre, Vodacom Customer Care, Vodacom Subscriber Collections and Vodacom Legal, yet I am still to receive a response from most of these departments.

Thus far no one has been able to tell me how long the amount has been "outstanding" for or what services this was for. I am also not able to determine who at Vodacom authorised the submission of my account to the collection agency. As a matter of fact, after receiving the Letter of Demand on 08 October 2018, I went straight to the Vodashop (ValueMart Centre) in Rustenburg to make inquiries about this. Mr. Francois Deysel, one of the sales managers there assisted me, and told me that no such amount can be found anywhere on the Vodacom system. He forwarded written correspondence to Vodacom Subscriber Collections and Vodacom Legal on 8 October 2018 at 14:49, and informed them that this was a mistake and that it had to be rectified. I was under the impression that the matter was resolved since I didn't receive any further correspondence from Vodacom. Then suddenly, in December 2018, I started receiving sms messages from a recovery agency, demanding payment.

I placed a phone call to Vodacom Customer Care on 15 December 2018 at 13:26. I provided her with my cell phone number and the consultant clearly indicated that the only amount due was for much less than that which they claim I owe, and was to be debited from my account in January 2019. She specifically said that "there is no other balance brought forward". She was also unable to find any amounts due as per the Final Letter of Demand. When I gave her the account number that corresponds to the phone number she transferred me to another consultant who indicated that the account was handed over to the Legal department. However, she was unable to access the account and could therefore not confirm why the account was handed over or where the amount as per the Final Letter of Demand was coming from. She referred me to Vodacom Legal and provided me with their phone number.

The coming Monday, 17 December 2018, I phoned Vodacom Legal, however no one answers the phone. I am not given the opportunity to speak to a person. I simply get an automated recording that says that the account has been handed over to a collection agency, and then the call is terminated.

I contacted Vodacom Customer Care again on 09 January 2019 at 14:22, to try and resolve the matter. Once again the consultant was unable to assist me and transferred me to the Vodacom Legal Department. The phone automatically switched over to the same automated recording again, without providing me with an option to speak to a consultant.

The only response I have received thus far was from Mr. Justin Josephs at Vodacom Customer Care on Tuesday, 18 December 2018 at 10:18, to inform me that they are not equipped to handle my enquiry and that I should contact the Vodacom Legal Department. I was told exactly the same in writing by Ms. Angilique Muller on 14 December 2018 at the Vodashop in Rustenburg.

The Vodacom Legal department simply ignores my e-mails. All I received from them, thus far, was an automatic reply providing me with reference number. To this day, not a single consultant or representative form the Vodacom Legal department has phoned me or sent me a written response of any sort.

All I keep receiving is the sms messages from Transaction Capital Recoveries/MBD Inc demanding payment. Payment for what? I don't owe Vodacom a sent and after numerous calls and e-mails, nobody at Vodacom or MBD Inc can provide me with a single shred of evidence or documentation (not even a single invoice), to show that the money is owed.

I have sent numerous written enquiries to MBD Inc and sent it to their listed e-mail address ********** I have not received any response. I contacted MBD Inc on Fri, 14 December 2018 at 12:42 and spoke to Mr. Nkosinathi Mtshali who identified himself as a Customer Service Consultant. He provided me with his e-mail address ********** and ensured me that if I send my correspondence to him, he will personally take care of the problem and try to resolve it. I forwarded all my correspondence and supporting documentation to him on Fri, 14 December 2018 at 12:51. Needles to say, he has also proven to be completely incompetent and offered me no solution to my problem. To this day he has not sent a single reply to any of my enquiries, despite the fact that I have sent and cc'd numerous e-mails to him. I asked my wife to call MBD Inc again on 11 January 2019 at 14:25. The Customer Care Consultant was not willing to assist her, claiming that she does not have authorisation to make enquires on my account, despite the fact that I sent them such written authorisation on 14 December 2018 already, when I spoke to Mr. Nkosinathi Mtshali. All the consultant did was confirm that she has no idea whether my written correspondence was in fact received or not.

My wife has kept meticulous records on all of our Vodacom bills/invoices as well as the corresponding payments for each one. All invoices and their payments were captured on Pastel and can be supported and/or proven by matching bank statements and cash receipts (transaction report and receipts attached). To this day, I am still receiving statements on that exact account number that clearly indicates that this account has a -R0.01 balance.

After numerous attempts to obtain answers to my questions and rectification on the account, I am now providing MBD Inc with 14 days to resolve the matter. If not, I will refer the matter to the ombudsman and my lawyers.

Tn