Verizon Wirelessrefurbished phones and bad customer service

I bought a NEW Droid cellphone in June 2010 for $200. In August 2010 my phone was instructing me to install an update in August 2010. The update crashed my phone. I took the phone to my local Verizon Wireless store where they told me the update had indeed crashed my phone and it was common with this particular update and they would have to send me a new phone. It took 5 days to receive my phone and it was a refurbished phone. I went online and saw that refurbished phones were selling for $100. I took the phone to the same Verizon store and asked to speak with the store manager. He came up to me immediately and said that if I was loud he would remove me from the store. I was shocked! I explained my issue to him and he said that the update was from the manufacturer and not Verizon's responsibility. I explained that I had just bought the phone 2 months ago and a replacement worth half that was sent to me and the problem was not even my fault. He said again that it was not Verizon's problem. I now have a $100 refurbished phone and not a credit in sight for the extra $100 I paid for a new phone but for the 5 days it took them to give me the phone at all. I am amazed that first of all the staff is so rude and that they cheated me! I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and with Verizon's corporate office.

Comments

• Cm
      Aug 26, 2010

That's not Verizon's fault. Manufacturers such as Motorola, Apple, LG... etc will NOT provide a new phone, but will provide a Refurbished phone in same quality. Its extremely rare that anyone will get a new phone.

you were misled by the rep in thinking you'll get a new phone but the norm is refurbs.

Aug 27, 2010

You have no ground to stand on, the update isn't from Verizon they have to let it through for contractual reasons, secondly if you read the contract you signed which im sure you didn't there is something in there about the warranty and how phones are covered with Certified Like New phones and whether you think they're worth it or not doesn't matter as that's a legal binding contract you signed and this may surprise you, but many other major companies replace with refurb equipment as well.

BTW going into a public place and coming off as an ### and being rude and disruptive is grounds for removal, not sure why that shocks you.

• Me
      Oct 11, 2010

I agree with her only two month and she get a Refurbished phone and it worth$100. dollars less something wrong with that picture or at least credit her $100. dollars

Oct 13, 2010

How is getting a refurb something wrong, honesty you people have some weird logic

• We
      Sep 29, 2011

I got a new Verizon phone (Incredible 2) about 30 days ago. It ended up getting a line in the screen after less than 30 days of owning it. It was never dropped or got wet. I took it back and got a new phone (refurbished) under the manufactures warranty, upon the advice of a store associate.

The phone I was sent was way worse than the one I returned. The vibrate feedback did not function properly and there were paint chips in the phone, on top of that when I took it to the store the sales associate helping me erased all my contacts. I had that phone sent back and got another one, believing this just was just a fluke.

On this phone, the second refurbished phone that was sent, the icons at the bottom are blurry, like there is an overlay on them going the wrong way. It is something minor but my original phone didn't have this problem and only goes to show the “quality” of the refurbished phones, and that the problem with the other phone was not a fluke but has become a pattern.

I went to the store each time I had a problem and they haven't been much help, other than referring me to tech support, and made it worse by erasing all my contacts. If I knew I had to go through all this trouble I would have kept the first phone or sent it to HTC to be repaired.

• 30
      Jun 03, 2016
    Verizon Wireless - Worse customer service
    Verizon Wireless
    Alpena
    Michigan

Hello, i have 2 different account with verizon my first account its contract the second 1 it's prepaid
    i called verizon customer service on 10/ 7 / 2012 to transfer phone number from prepaid to the contract also i have a credit balance for $192.22 dollars on the prepaid account customer service they are refusing to issue me a refund to my credit card
    no phone number to be transferred no money refund
    And i've been customer with verizon wireless for 8 years

Jul 22, 2018

I, too, just discovered my Galaxy 7 Edge from 'Verizon" is a refurbished Asurion phone. Aurion is the insurance company used by verizon. So is there any recourse or does Verizon get to rip us off? Of course I switched to T-Mobile and get the exact same plan at half the price. No issues with dropped calls or reception. So, Verizon, "Can you hear me now?" YOU ARE THIEVES.