Verizon / Fios / outrageos long distance
Just got my FIOS bill today. There is a $55 charge for 17 minutes of direct dialed calls to the UK and Germany. This was a complete shock and totally NOT disclosed by the FIOS people when I signed up. They went over with me in minute detail about switching my regional long distance to Verizon/FIOS and my regular long distance to Verizon/FIOS (from regular Verizon, mind you). But did not say word one about international long distance, international long distance plans, or some default rate of over $3 per minute for international long distance calls. When I called to discuss this today, the reps attitude was, well, we offer a lot of services and we can't disclose everything, you just have to pay the charge.
I asked him where this might be in the FIOS agreement or how I could possibly have known about this and he had no answer for that. Thus confirming that there was no disclosure. This is just an out an out screw job. You can have TV, Internet and Phone with unlimited long distance for $99 a month but call Europe for 17 minutes and it will be more than half your bill added on? WTF!!
Competitive rates for international long distance are typically free (Vonage) to 10 cents per minute, maybe 10-25 cents per minute with a calling card.
If I weren't locked into a one year plan I probably would have cancelled today. I hate this GOTCHA capitalism that the credit card companies have been at the forefront of. This $3+ per minute rate is like an operated assisted rate from 1970.
I am going to not pay the $55 or any late charges that accrue and duke it out with them to the bitter end. Maybe try Vonage when my year is up.
More Verizon / Fios Complaints & Reviews
- Verizon Wireless - failure to waive early termination fee 
- Verizon Wireless Employee Discounts - employee discount problem 
- Verizon Fios - never order fios service! 
- Verizon Fios Internet - connection problems! 
- Verizon Bundle Packages - bundle package: direct tv; internet and phone service for $99.00 a month for a year 
- Verizon - fios
- Verizon Communications - No Tech support for one week on Company phone lines
- Verizon Communications - customer service 
- Verizon Communications - customer service representative lack of professionalism
- Verizon Communications - phone and internet