Verizon / Fios / outrageos long distance

Phone: 941-412-3767
Just got my FIOS bill today. There is a $55 charge for 17 minutes of direct dialed calls to the UK and Germany. This was a complete shock and totally NOT disclosed by the FIOS people when I signed up. They went over with me in minute detail about switching my regional long distance to Verizon/FIOS and my regular long distance to Verizon/FIOS (from regular Verizon, mind you). But did not say word one about international long distance, international long distance plans, or some default rate of over $3 per minute for international long distance calls. When I called to discuss this today, the reps attitude was, well, we offer a lot of services and we can't disclose everything, you just have to pay the charge.

I asked him where this might be in the FIOS agreement or how I could possibly have known about this and he had no answer for that. Thus confirming that there was no disclosure. This is just an out an out screw job. You can have TV, Internet and Phone with unlimited long distance for $99 a month but call Europe for 17 minutes and it will be more than half your bill added on? WTF!!

Competitive rates for international long distance are typically free (Vonage) to 10 cents per minute, maybe 10-25 cents per minute with a calling card.

If I weren't locked into a one year plan I probably would have cancelled today. I hate this GOTCHA capitalism that the credit card companies have been at the forefront of. This $3+ per minute rate is like an operated assisted rate from 1970.

I am going to not pay the $55 or any late charges that accrue and duke it out with them to the bitter end. Maybe try Vonage when my year is up.

N  17th of Apr, 2009 by
I was so annoyed that I called them back to harange them some more. This time I got a more decent rep and after much arguing that this was a ridiculous charge, I also mentioned that I had missed the new $150 rebate by only weeks when I signed up for FIOS and that they are now advertising $75 per month for internet +tv+phone on their website and that I was not very happy about any of this. I told them that I was not going to pay the $55 and that I had options like cancelling and going back to Comcast or just cancelling FIOS, paying the early termination fee and then immediately signing up for FIOS again because that would be cheaper than continuing with them on the current basis.

Amazingly, the rep said the internet promo for "Internet +TV+Phone" for $74.95 was really not true because when you try to do it, it is really only for two of the three. Which would be, well fraud, but nobody seemed to have a problem with that!

So the rep says wait a minute and a woman comes on the line and says she will give me $30 off my bill for 6 months. Apparently the magic words were "I am thinking of cancelling the service and going back to Comcast".
A  30th of May, 2009 by
I have Verizon FIOS in Virginia. I just got a bill in which I made two direct calls to India for a total of 52 minutes. Verizon charged me $352, plus there appears to be an additional $50 or so in state in federal taxes related to the calls. This works out to approximately $7.70 per minute. I am very upset.

Verizon Communications Logo Verizon Communications