Valvoline Oil Change / Poor work led to breakdown

1 Brooklyn Park, MD, United States Review updated:

I took my Ford F1500 in Valvoline for a oil change and radiator flush paid $132.00. The bery next morning teh antifreeze was gone refilled and took back to Valvoline they took my truck to a mechanic who informed us the blew the freeze plug. They accepted liability and took me to get a rental car. They called Corporate who refused to fix it. Now I am stranded without a working vehicle. The next day after my attorney called them they said bring your keys in we will have it fixed. Took the keys in only to receive another call that they were not fixing it again. This has been the worse experience of my life and I warn people to stay away from Valvoline they do not backup their mistakes.

Joe Meyers

Comments

• Pw
      23rd of Mar, 2009

I recently had taken my vehicle to the Valvoline Oil Change location near my office during lunch for a quick oil change. Little did I know how much pain this preventative maintenance trip was going to cost me.

That evening as I left my offfice the car didn't start on the first try. I didn't think anything of it at the time but then the next day my car began to shudder and shake violently and I had to nurse it back home. I had the have the car towed to my local dealer to find out what was wrong.

I was suprised when they called me and asked if anyone had changed the oil or serviced the air filter recently. I was told that when they checked the engine they found that the hose from the air filter had become detached and that the oil dipstick was halfway out of the slot which caused oil to spray in the engine.

I asked them to put this info on the service ticket and then contacted the Valvoline shop to complain. The manager sounded very concerned at first but then after several calls with no follow up she basically said they found no fault on their end after reviewing their video of the service bay and only offered me a free oil change.

The incident basically cost me $160 for a tow and diagnostic at the dealer not to mention a lost day of work. I'm not the type to complain but I really felt that Valvoline was the cause of the engine failure and should have done more to compensate me beyond one free oil change. Needless to say they will not be getting any more of my business.

• Ro
      10th of Feb, 2011

i initiated a complaint last month 1/10/11 regarding a valvoline oil cange exactly one month prior at the columbus, ohio, broad street center of which i had oil changed 12/10/10 and on 1/10/11 my oil gadge began to signal low pressure & my engine began to 'tick'. this was after a month long of driving. i went back to the service center & was told my engine was low by 4 quarts of oil (this is without having any prior leaks or problem withmy vehicle engine). upon inspection by the car dealer, it was found that 'insignificant' oil level lead to engine seal breakdown & these seals will have to be repaired to maintain engine quality. i was contacted by the service manager at valvoline who gave me nothing more than his review of the video recording when i was there which showed onlythat my oil had been changed while the car dealer & manufacturer have stated that 'there could not have been ENOUGH oil put back into the vehicle during the 12/10/10 service. i wish to be further notified by valvoline in regard to correcting this mistaKe.

• Ri
      21st of Jul, 2011

On July 6th 2011 I had my oil changed at Valvoline Instant Oil Change in St. Peters MO they convinced me that using 5W-40 synthetic oil was in my trucks best interest".

On July 15, 2011 my truck would not start I had it towed to JC Car Care who did a diagnostic/pressure test, the oil pressure was at zero, they changed the oil to 15W-40 diesel oil which is what FORD Motor CO the manufacturer of my vehicle recommends and the vehicle started and has been running fine since".

On July 19th I visited the Valvoline shop and informed Jerry Creach the Manager of the problem and presented him with the bill from JC car care which detailed the repair and specifically states that the vehicle mfg/. does not recommend synthetic oil in these vehicle and that they also only recommend the use of 15W-40 oil!. Any other oil can cause serious problems.. He made a phone call and told me that it was not the oil and there was something wrong with my truck and they were not responsible;.

On July 19th I made a phone call to Valvoline's customer care hotline at 800-327-8242 I spoke with a lady named Terra, she looked up my invoice then looked in a Valvoline cross reference guide which in fact confirmed that the local Valvoline store had used the wrong type/weight oil and the problem was their responsibility and that she would be opening a claim and I would be contacted within 24 hours".

On July 19th I was contacted by a man named Chris who identified himself as the Area Manager for Valvoline, who became very rude told me the oil could not cause the problem and the problem with my truck was a weak oil pump and that he had independent information that showed that the use of 5W-40 oil could not cause this problem and would work fine in my truck, I then asked him to send me a copy of this information to which he answered he couldn't, it wasn't available or he couldn't access it:. I call BS... I requested he call the mechanic at JC Car Care that worked on my truck, which he did, along with another expert named Lou Craven at a company called DTI who also told Chris at Valvoline that the thin oil was not recommended and that he had seen this cause problems in diesel engines more times than he could count.

In addition on July 18th 2011 I went online and payed $38.00 to speak with an ASE certified Ford diesel mechanic through JUSTANSWER.COM I explained to him the problem and asked if a weak oil pump would cause this problem, his answer "NO it is likely just the oil because your 2006 6.0 calls for 15W-40 and the 5W-40 is just to thin. Your oil pump is just fine." He also supplied me with a page from a Ford tech manual that shows that the recommended oil is 15W40 super duty, I have a copy of this tech manual.

Also on July 18th 2011 I contacted the local Ford dealer Pundmann Ford In Saint Charles MO I spoke with a technician there who said again that the only oil Ford recommends for this vehicle is 15W-40 and light weight oils tend to foam and mess with the fuel injectors causing a lack of pressure which doesn't allow the diesel engine to fire.

It should be noted that Chris the area manager from Valvoline spoke to the same people and claims that they never said these things. I spoke with my mechanic after his call with Chris and we compared notes and caught him in a couple of lies. His name is Jack he can be reached at JC Car care

I also spoke with a man named Mike at Valvoline who is supposedly a technical guy, who also was very rude and basically told me that none of these people I have spoke with have a lab including the Ford dealer so we don't know what we are talking about.

In the face of all the supporting documentation that I supplied Valvoline including a bill for $400.00 from my mechanic for diagnosis and changing out the oil to the correct stuff. Valvoline still denied my claim.

Are these the kind of people you want to give your hard earned money to? I will certainly never spend another nickel with these incompetent liars. Do yourself a favor learn from my misfortune and BOYCOTT VALVOLINE!