Usps - Stokesdale, NC / condition of mail/destroyed portrait

1 NC, United States Review updated:

I ordered a portrait for over $50 and it was sent to me via the USPS. The portrait was sandwiched between two thick pieces of corrugated cardboard and placed in an envelope that bore a name indicating that a portrait was inside. Despite all of this, the inept mail carrier on our route saw fit to bend the package in half lengthwise and cram it into the mail box shredding and creasing the contents. When I went to the Stokesdale post office the post master there said that if there was no insurance on the package and if it did not say 'Do not bend' the postal carrier was allowed (ALLOWED!) to do this. So, apparently, if you don't give postal carriers specific instructions they are allowed to shred and abuse your mail and the USPS does not feel obligated in the least to hold their mail carriers accountable. With the cost of stamps and sending packages through the postal system I think they have a LOT of nerve hiding behind policy in such an appalling manner. There is right and wrong and then there is the USPS.

Dm

Comments

• As
      24th of Sep, 2009

Amen. I was told by a mail carrier to not come to the local office to always call the 1-800-ASK-USPS to file complaints. This will work because the bigger bosses get to hear about the complaint. I have had 3 books that where bent and you have to know the date the mail was delievered to complain. Today I got my third book that was bent to fit into my mail box, and called and waiting now for a call back. I asked about their policy for packages that do not fit inside of a mail box, and he informed me that they would be taken to the local post office to be picked up. My mail lady has even placed a package of mine on the ground next to my mail box that was ran over a few times. The package was from Newport News and contain 150.00 worth of clothes. I got the 150.00 refund but the sale was already over. I receive my neighbors mail very often. But the thing that really upsets me is when my checks are put in someone else mail box. I would love to work for the USPS, you can screw up many times and never get fired!
    Location Salisbury, NC 28147