USPS / stolen mail

1 Knoxville, TN, United States Review updated:

The date is off it was some time ago, but the more I think about what happened to us the madder I get..A Friend of mine took me to a Xena Convention for my Birthday..while there we obtained about $100 in Xena merchandise each..since there was so much we were afraid to try to take it with us on our fights so we packed everything up and shipped it to my address..we got delivery confirmation and ins...the day it was suppose to arrive (my Friend had already gone back to Germany and I was suppose to send her her stuff via international mail..) I met the Carrier at the door she seemed shocked and handed me my package then hauled ### back to her mail jeep I immediately noticed my package was opened on one end and our stuff was missing..I chased behind her before she even got off the porch saying "excuse me..Mam..excuse me" I got to her before she could get in her jeep..I showed her my open package and the fact it was empty..she was soo fake in her shock it wasn't funny..she pretended to search the jeep I also looked..I told her there was 10 posters that cost $20 a piece..so that was $200 worth of merchandise that was missing..she told me she would do a search at the PO..then she left..I called the PO and lodged a complaint they informed me I needed to come in in person so the next day I did just that..I filed a complaint and also filed for ins. reimbursement..I was denied the ins. coverage because I didn't have any receipts..the next day I found a note in the mailbox from the Carrier assuring me my items would be found soon she practically promised it..I took it to the PO and showed it to the Clerk I also pointed out the tape on the mailing tube had been neatly removed it wasn't ripped off it was cut off with a knife or a pair of scisssors..I told her I felt the Carrier stole my posters because the tube was scanned prior to her receiving my package and it was not noted the tube was opened or the contents was missing..the Clerk agreed her note was suspicious and she kept the note to give to the Post Master General.. I also informed her of how the Carrier actually ran back to her jeep when I called out to her about my open package and my missing posters..Despite my complaints the Post Master General claims there is nothing he can do because there is no proof of the contents worth and no proof the carrier is guilty of theft..I and my Friend are out $200 because of a thieving Carrier and a Postal System which refused to do the right thing..I assure everyone that was the last time I used the Postal system for any type of shipping or delivery..I was living in Knoxville, TN at the zip code 37931..so if you live in Knoxville, TN and that is your zip code steer clear of Postal delivery!!

Va

Comments

Kr
  26th of Dec, 2008

Unfortunately, I was a first-time victim of stolen gifts this year. Several boxes I sent to different parts of the country arrived missing several items and had things replaced instead of the original hand-made/sentimental gifts I sent.

In one case a basil seedling plant was stolen and replaced with a blue book value on motorcycles and ATV’s… the gift was actually taped back up with this instead! Luckily my family thought this was fishy and called to ask me about it, otherwise I would never have known. This tipped me off to call and check on everything else and resulted in a very melancholy Christmas day as the amount of stolen items grew. (It was my first Christmas living away from home and it really added to the grief.)

It breaks my heart that you cannot trust the postal service. This had to happen here in LA because things were mailed to different locations. At this point it is only my word against theirs, but nothing was worth much retail value… just sentimental value, so I declined additional insurance when they asked. When I did so, the postal worker said, “Your loss” which I guess she meant! Considering I mailed everything way ahead of time and nothing was of much retail value, I thought this was a safe bet.

Since this is a federal fraud, the more instances they find of similar crimes will result in a greater punishment. Any attention you could possibly help me bring to this circumstance would be immensely appreciated, as I’m sure I was not the only victim.

It’s hard to imagine anyone could sleep at night after stealing gifts with only sentimental value, but I guess anything is possible during these hard economic times.

Sc
  13th of Dec, 2009

I haven't got mail for like 4 days now, im missing a ton of ###, ### the USPS

Sf
  5th of Feb, 2010

Possible “post” re mail theft and poor grievance procedures
(for https://www.complaintsboard.com/bycompany/usps-a15145.html)

I have been a target of internal mail theft and also pilfering by USPS workers as well. I am in San Francisco. Last summer, I was told that if I wanted any mail to arrive at my PO Box (located in the lobby at a post office station) it had better be sent certified or priority, that I shouldn't expect them to deliver it for the mere price of a first-class stamp (which had just gone up, incidentally).

I've had mail tampered with, withheld, pilfered, and in recent weeks certified mail was stolen and I'm getting threatened by the postal workers and "screwed " by the postal inpector's office and process in general.

I've decided to post my own story. See it under a San Francisco Internal Mail Theft heading, first week of Feb. 2010.

Ot
  28th of Sep, 2010

A WEEK ago I ordered Borderlands for the Xbox 360. Now, I have ordered from Gamestop many times before but THIS is the FIRST time they've chosen the USPS as the mail provider.
First off, I'd like to say how just outright disrespectful they are to me (me being 16) they actually believe that I have my game, when I didn't sign for it or anything.
Secondly, they really do not help with anything at all. I asked my mail carrier if she remembers delivering the package to my building and she says "Naw not really"
Third, their "Customer Support" system is a complete waste of time. All it does is ring you around to the same thing until you don't say a thing and it connects you to a completely clueless person who doesn't even give a damn.

Overall, I will NEVER EVER order ANYTHING online for the simple fact that the USPS cannot deliver a small package.

Ke
  27th of Apr, 2011

I posted an expensive Christmas card to a good friend in Hillsboro, Oregon - it didn't arrive. Three months later I mailed an expensive speaking Dr Who birthday card to the same address - and again it didn't arrive. Year after year, expensive cards don't arrive in Oregon - normal letters always arrive. I hope the USPS worker stealing the expensive stuff burnas in Hell when he/she dies.

Mp
  27th of Apr, 2011

I received a small package from my daughter last month, it arrived empty. Someone had carefully opened the package, removed the item and retaped it. Complaints got us nowhere!

Ra
  31st of May, 2011

I had mail sent to Bangkok 3 times, , was stolen !!!, , , only 1time did mail arrive, , as it was a CD, , , the other 3 packages were very valueable, , and was stolen !!!

Th
  7th of Sep, 2011
Agree Disagree -2 Votes

People really do not need to blame the USPS for stolen items!! They def do not need to steal. Regardless of what anyone thinks. The mailer of the item could have messed up the address or something on the envelope/package. Next someone could have stolen the package out of you mail box even off your front porch!!! Everyone in this world wants to throw the finger at just one person instead of thinking of the possibilities!!! Not every mail carrier steals so stop and think about who you are blaming. The blame could possibly be on yourself. Mistakes happen and granted they shouldn't, but they do. All I'm saying is stop and think about if you are blaming the right person, it could be anyone!!! There are a lot of non nice people in this world. And I guarantee Most of them (MOST) aren't federal employees!!!

Du
  23rd of Jan, 2014

I live in Upper Marlboro, MD and have been for 6 years. From the time I moved here to my newly built home there have been problems with the USPS. All of it is opened mail. Anything that resembles a check, which is mostly junk mail, gets carefully opened and on occasion has been taped back up. I never really paid attention since my checks are deposited and not delivered. However, today I get my W-2 and find it ripped on the side. About 1/4 of it was gone and my personal information exposed. I don't know if this was the dumb ### carrier himself who frequently puts mail in the wrong boxes or one of the stupid, mumbling, attitudinal mother###as at the actual sorting facility. Don't they have cameras to watch these damn crooks?! No wonder they are going out of business. People get tired of their ### getting stolen and switch to FedEx or UPS. Now I have to wonder if my identity is going to be attempted to be stolen or not. Plenty of money earned in this county and plenty stolen by the USPS and corrupt local gov't officials. ###ing ###