Ups Store Mundelein/Ups / severely damaged package, insurance claim denied

1 IL, United States Review updated:

On 1/4/10, I sent a gas fireplace in original store packaging from a UPS Store in Mundelein, IL to my home address in California. I purcased insurance for a declared value of $700 and checked the box marked "Breakable" on the order form. UPS never delivered the box. When I called the UPS Store to inquire about it, they informed me that the package had been severely damaged and sent to a Damage Inspection Facility. Then, I filed a claim for the damages through the Mundelein UPS Store. On February 22, 2010, the Mundelein UPS store sent me a copy of a letter from Crawford & Co.which was retained by UPS to inspect the package. The letter stated that my claim was denied because the packaging didn't meet UPS packaging standards. This was shocking to me, as the box had made it all the way from China to the store where I bought it, in its original packaging, and the UPS Store didn't raise any objection or suggest that I make changes to the packaging when I sent it. The letter also stated that UPS doesn't treat packaged marked fragile (breakable) any different than regular boxes. So, its a mystery to me why they have a box on their Order form to mark the package as "breakable." When the box was opened by family in Mundelein, they found the fireplace had been CRUSHED as if dropped from a great height or something very heavy was dropped on top of it. The pieces of wood for the fireplace were literally split in half and a metal gas pipe was bent. This evidence shows that the package was not handled with reasonable care. I believe that this claim was denied in bad faith, and I should have been paid damages including the value of the fireplace and cost of shipping.

Comments

• On
      12th of Aug, 2010

I use that same UPS store on a regular basis. It sounds to me like you are blaming them for your poor packaging. The original shipping is controlled in shipping containers from China where they are not handled individually. They are protected by the containers.
    UPS in known to be rough on packages. That is why you make sure to package it in a manner that will protect it.
    This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry trys to scam the postal service by poorly packing his broken stereo system.