United Airlines / Cancelled Flight - refused rebook or refund

I recently booked an international flight to Germany with United Airlines. The return flight was cancelled, and United Airlines refused to book another flight, or amazingly, refused any refund. They claim it was out of their control, as they had operated this flight through Lufthansa. Lufthansa will not even talk to me, since I did not buy the ticket from them. United claims they have no control, and I have to talk to Lufthansa. The bottom line is I paid United for a service, which they failed to provide. I paid for the ticket, I arrived at the airport hours before the flight was scheduled to leave, and both airlines refused to book another flight or offer any refund of any amount. I was left stranded in Germany, and had to pay for alternate transportation with another carrier. Needless to say, I will not use either airline again. 2 months later, and I have not even had an email, letter, or phone call from either airline after contacting them repeatedly via phone, mail, email, and online requests. This is ridiculous.