U-Haul / rented truck without me present, signature, knowledge

1 Roanoke Virginia, United States

Hi I am a mother of three children this past Christmas our family moved into our new home. We called U-Haul and I reserved a truck for later that day. I had hired two gentlemen to move our belongings into the house. As I drove towards the U-Haul location to meet the movers and sign the contract my phone ring. The movers explain they had already left the U-Haul dealership and we're headed to my storage unit. I was very confused? How could the truck be rented without me being present? Long story very short after my belongings removed into my house. The movers were told to return carpet to a local carpet store. Then return the U-Haul ASAP. I was dealing with a death at the moment as well, Christmas, children, all by myself. Needless to say I get a call from the carpet store explaining they never received the carpet. So I call the local U-Haul dealership and spoke with the GM. He explains to me the U-Haul was never returned to them it was left parked in a shopping center parking lot. I now have no carpet in my children's rooms they are running around with plywood on the floor. Please keep in mind I had paid for that carpet it was being returned and exchanged. It's being held for ransom by U-Haul in a storage unit they signed me . How is it legal for someone else to sign drive and not be responsible for the U-Haul?My thoughts were when I gave the credit card information it was only to reserve the truck until I arrive.

Ga