Travelocity.com / think twice before using travelocity!

I am writing to express my extreme disappointment with Travelocity.com. In July 2006, I was in a car accident; problems for me did not become chronic until November 2006.

The human body has seven neck bones, every single one of mine is fractured, bulging, and/or dried out.

In September 2006, we made a reservation to go to the Excellence Club in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic for February 2007. I was originally scheduled for surgery on February 22, 2007, so we pushed back our trip until either the first of second week of April 2007, plenty of time to have surgery, recuperate enough for a well-deserved long relaxing comfortable vacation.

In early February, I had my myelogram and scheduled a follow up with my neurosurgeon to discuss the type of surgery that needed to be done. At that time, about a week prior to surgery, we were told I was a horrible surgical candidate with multi-level disc degeneration with severe spondylosis, a 44 year old otherwise healthy women, with a neck of a 78 year-old arthritic man that would continue to crumble. In other words, I have deteriorated to the point that surgery would not help me.

Which leads me to our unnecessary, uncalled for, inexcusable, problems with Travelocity:

Upon learning the news of my pending operation, my husband spent hundreds of minutes on hold trying to change the reservation for April. When he finally spoke with a reservation agent, they were, I’m sorry to say imbeciles, I’m not sure what they were doing on the other end, but we were placed on hold for many more minutes (20 and 30 minute blocks of time) again (may I put you on hold for 2 minutes?) and when the reservation was finally changed, the return flight was incorrect. Two hours accomplished nothing, zilch, nada. We received the reservation electronically and my husband just about fell over with heart failure regarding the return flight.

The next evening, my husband and I both spent three hours explaining the reservation was incorrect and needed to be changed. We were disconnected a couple of times and then again, huge amounts of minutes again placed on hold. Nobody could or would help us. Travelocity explained we would need to pay the airline change fee for your mistake. Without any notice, we were switched over to US Air’s telephone line and we again, (now almost three hours trying to change the hotel and air reservation) have to explain the air situation. (Would you want your broken wife to have to sit in the Philadelphia airport for four hours?) Needless to say, at this time the hotel reservation had not been corrected at this time either.

Thereafter, my husband spent days calling Travelocity and the hotel to ensure the reservation was corrected. US Air was kind enough to send us an updated itinerary with the corrected flights, NOTHING from Travelocity was sent correcting the hotel or air.

Again, I will remind you I’m still broken and not fixed and still have chronic pain and trying to deal with stupid unnecessary issues like this is absurd.

After the disappointing news from the neurosurgeon, we decided, better sooner then later,and that if I was going to continue to deteriorate, we again, would have to brave the battlefield of calling Travelocity to attempt change our reservations. You think we would have been better prepared from the first time we called. Same scenario, but worse this time. The website would not update the information and kept showing the April time frame. Many huge blocks of minutes (about five hours worth) trying to change this reservation to March 17. Again, US Air was kind enough for sending an updated itinerary, nothing from Travelocity on the hotel. Husband again, emails, calls Travelocity requesting confirmation on the hotel, nothing comes. He calls the hotel direct, they make the change. He calls Travelocity states he has acted as travel agent for us and to please send confirmation to us and the hotel of the date change. Can you guess? Nothing comes but we are assured the change has been made.

We arrive at the airport on March 17 for our flight. Wouldn’t you know, our flight is cancelled due to a mechanical problem. US Air is kind enough to change our reservation Sunday to Sunday March 18 – 25. Husband calls the hotel and Travelocity changing the reservation to March 18 – 25. We are assured everything is ok from Travelocity and they will fax the voucher to the hotel.

As the nightmare continues,

After traveling to the Dominican Republic (we awoke at 3:30 to catch a 7ish flight) we arrive at the hotel around 2 p.m. The hotel asks us to present our voucher. We have nothing in hand. Travelocity has not sent anything to the hotel. We spent two hours trying to check in to our room and cannot. They have confirmation for the April reservation only and would not honor the March reservation. They agreed to let us check in with a credit card prepayment but if the reservation is not straightened out by Travelocity we would need to pay them directly for our seven night stay, no and, if, ors about it. We agree on these terms and conditions as my neck is about ready to fall off of my head.

Husband called Travelocity long distance twice the day of arrival, each time being placed on hold for many more minutes (about thirty each time), these are long distance international calls off a cell phone at $.95 cents per minute as the 800 number does not work from the Dominican Republic. He does the same on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. If my math is correct that is approximately $60 per day for four days, totaling $240, calling for a simple request with a voucher with the correct dates. Still nothing comes over the fax machine at the hotel. Apparently, there is a relay problem between Bangladesh India, Texas, and the Dominican Republic. We are checking with them twice a day to see if the fax made it through and it still has not. I started to email on Tuesday, first day request, second day request, third day request, and fourth day request. Where is the Travelocity gnome I ask? Who is going to save us from putting out thousands of more dollars on our credit card for a trip that was bought and paid for last September? Finally, the fax comes through on Friday afternoon. It took $240 and 15 emails for one simple request.

I ask, where is the back-end customer service? Their website was pleased to take our $5k plus in September and leave us hanging and on our own for the duration. How can Travelocity outsource this very important business segment to people that simply just don’t know how to do their jobs, don’t know how to use your computer system, how to own up to their mistakes, don’t care and generally worthless. Their phone bills are astronomical I’m sure.

I work for a large company and have had the pleasure of working with one of the other big two. I swore upon my return, if they were to outsource and provide the customer service like Travelocity has, I will cancel my account immediately and become the company travel agent. And to think Travelocity was in the running a few years ago for my company’s business. I assure you Travelocity will never again be considered when it is time to reevaluate.

As stated previously, I am a very broken human being and this experience has taken the breath and patience out of me. The lousy $50 credit they offered us for our nightmare experience with their company does not make up for the 24 plus hours and money spent on phone calls to rectify simple requests for a much needed vacation and that did not allow either of us to relax because of the incredible hassle of dealing with them.

A $50 credit towards our next Travelocity trip obviously doesn’t cut it, heck it won’t even pay the long distance bill.

I’ve seriously considered taking a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal about my experience with Travelocity.

Comments

• De
      20th of Feb, 2008

Travelocity: Indian Outsourcing Done WRONG

I am a Travelocity employee and customer. Just dealing with loosing my job is difficult enough to handle; NOW waiting almost an hour for someone to answer the phone or for the agents to understand me correctly is EVEN WORSE! THIS MOVE MADE BY TRAVELOCITY AND ALL OTHER COMPANIES THAT HAS OUTSOURCED THEIR BUSINESS TO INDIA...I HOPE THEY ALL FLOP!

• Qu
      8th of Nov, 2008

Bleh I hate wns as well and I also am an employee however, these people would have [censor]ed just as much if these were us agents and if you are really an tvly employee then you know this just as well as I do. Bet you money there is more to this story, they probably were violating fare rules or wanted us to "advocate" for them with the hotel/airlines to break the contract on a package people are all the same you can ###ing die on that plane for all I care, take that to the bank.

• Gi
      24th of Feb, 2010

I REGRET using Travelocity - it has been an expensive lesson.

• Un
      13th of Mar, 2010

My Travelocity trip was a nightmare. Prospector lodging in SLC was terrible,
    Walked into the building and the hallway was smelly, carpet stained, and when we tried to unlock it, the first key didn't work, the other two ok
    Tiny fridge froze our leftover steaks
    Heater was incredibly loud and smelly
    The sink in the bathroom the drain was broken
    The toilet would not stop running. After every flush we had to take off the tank top and manually nudge the plunger down
    No towels for the jacuzzi once we found it
    We were so disappointed, but we laughed about it.
    We had one small shampoo for three people for four days.
    When we came home from skiing on Sunday there was a sign on the door. Sorry but the water heater is broken. Receiving parts on Monday sorry for the inconvenience. We all snapped.
    Called travelocity and got asr on the line. Jessie was going to find us a place to move to. The "place" was clean, but had one tiny bed and no couch even for the three of us...