Travelocity / flight protection is a scam!

1 United States

In Mar. 07, I booked a flight through Travelocity for my elderly mother. Because she frequently has medical issues, I purchased the optional Flight Protection insurance. Lo and behold, she had a medical issue that rendered her unable to travel at the scheduled time, and I tried to cancel the flight with Travelocity. After waiting on hold for 15 mins., I got an operator (call center in guess-where). As she was informing me of the penalties for cancellation, I told her I had the flight insurance. But wait -- she told me she had no record of it! I said "you charged me for it!". More time on hold -- she came back and said even though TRAVELOCITY CHARGED ME FOR IT, it "didn't go through". So therefore, I wasn't covered, and all they could do was refund me the cost of the flight insurance!!!

I asked to speak to her supervisor, was on hold another 20 mins., then disconnected. I called back, hold for 15 mins., got an operator in you-know-where, and find out the first operator never even canceled the flight. I spent literally another 20 mins. with him while he put me on hold several times and finally SAID he canceled the flight. He gave me the e-mail address for Travelocity to pursue my complaint about the flight insurance.

DON'T FALL FOR THIS SCAM! They charge you for the insurance, but if you try to submit a claim, they say you don't have it. In addition, they make it so difficult to get through, I'm sure most people just give up. DEAL DIRECTLY WITH THE AIRLINES.

I got a canned response from Travelocity but have not much hope that I'll be able to get a refund. But I fully intend to keep trying, and to report them to the BBB and the NJ Attorney General.