Toys r us / rude clerks... lack of in-store stock... online ordering a nightmare

Every time I have tried to order from their website they end up removing things that were labeled as "in-stock on-line" from my cart AFTER finalizing payment, most often with promotional offers or specials like free shipping. How can they let you go through several supposed real-time checkpoints in the process and not know they do not have the item or at least put it on backorder for you at that price/promotional offer?!? It's all a scam, even in-store. None of the three local stores had any of the buy-one-get-one-free Little Tikes toys at any point during the sale nor did they offer a raincheck. Ordering them online defeats the purpose because shipping costs more than the free item so it is just like paying full price.
I have had so many issues with Toys "R" Us stores and their site since November. The clerks are rude, the customer service is atrocious (when you can actually get someone on the phone) and their site is either designed to screw you over or out of date.

Ad

Comments

• Sd
      Dec 04, 2006
    Toys r us - terrible service & run around!

I am extremely frustrated! I went to the toys r us website to buy a few gifts. My first negative everything I went to buy was "temporarily unavailable" I literally spent 45 minutes trying to find something for 3 kids! I should not have to search and search for 45 minutes to simply find a few items. I wasn't even looking for "hot" items, just run of the mill stuff. My original intent was to find many items for each child, but I could not even find one for each child. I called your customer service rep and explained my problem, and told her that I was very frustrated. For my inconvenience I was able to get free shipping, but I was not ready to place my order yet, so she said to call back and give her name "ashley r.in wisconsin" and that she had spoke to her supervisor and all would be ok. So I went out to dinner with my family, came back and called.. When I went to place my order, the guy was like hmmm>I am going to have to ask my supervisor about this. Comes back and says there is more to it to get free shipping then giving me a reps name & location. That they were unprofessional in doing so. He said he would have to run it by a supervisor again, put me on hold, came back and asked for my name & if I ever ordered from tru before, put me on hold again, came back and said he wasn't able to get a supervisor yet did I want to hold, I said yes, I want to get this rectified. He said I would put a request in to research this issue, and that someone would get back to me with in 48-72 hours. I was like what? This defeats my purpose her... To simply find gifts for 3 children. I said well i've waited this long, i'll wait my turn to talk to a supervisor. He checked back with me 2 more times and asked if I still wanted to hold.. At this point he said well, I don't even think a supervisor is here, and that he was really sorry. I have a timer on my phone and at this point I had been on the phone & on hold for 58 minutes and 57 seconds. How is that for ridiculous! Here I am a customer with 3 kids who spends tons of money each year on my children and other friends & family explaining that all I wanted to do was to buy a few gifts online to make it easier on me as my youngest is a newborn, and at one of the largest toys stores online store I cannot even achieve that. I have been shopping online for years, as well as at a few of your competitors, and have never had this many problems! I would seriously share my story with friends after what I have been through here, and I hope that you can they it right.

• Ni
      Dec 12, 2006
    Toys r us - price differences for dolls of different races

In this weeks sales paper there are two interactive dolls listed for sale. The amazing Allisen doll and the amazing Amanda doll. For the Amazing Allisen doll, The Caucasian doll is 69.00 vs. the 99.00 for the African American doll. When I called the office I was informed that they didn’t know the what the difference and the manufacture sets the price, even though Target and Wal-Mart have it for $59.99.

That is horrible. All of the same brands of the same toy should be the same. I'm sure brown paint isn't any extra.

Jan 06, 2008
    Toys r us - used play station 2 boxed as a new one
    9251 E. Washington
    Phone: [protected]

Toys R Us sold me a used, broken Play Station as a new one. I got home and immediately took it back with the receipt...purchased about 1 hour before. They basically said I did it and would not exchange it or give me any credit. They said it was new and sealed when I left there (how did the know for sure?). Well.....it wasn't new when I opened it. Instead of being concerned with how this happened they put the blame on me and said , "tough luck." They should be concerned that somewhere along the way it was switched. They were very rude and judgemental. They basically accused me of being a criminal rather than the victim. I have spoken with other managers, corporate Toys R Us, Sony and they don't see why they didn't exchange it.....not that anyone offered to help. Sony did say I could send it to them for a new one......which puts the blame on me, wastes more time of mine and will cost me even more money. I am the victimized consumer here!

• Ju
      Jul 05, 2008

wow! thats so f*d up! i've never heard of such a thing

•   Aug 08, 2008
    Toys r us - poor treatment
    9251 E. Washington
    Indiana

I purchased a new Playstation 2 for my children. I took it home, opened it up and realized it was not new, but an old broken one. I took it immediately back to exchange it. I had the receipt and returned it within a hour of purchasing it. They basically told me I had switched the game system. They said it was sealed and new when I left the store. I said that may be true (if true, I didn't notice..the lady behind the counter got it out of the case and put it in the bag), but along the way before I bought it something had happened. They SHOULD be investigating that... not accusing me! Once again... they made me look like a criminal when I was the victim. They should be responsible for making things right and dealing with Sony. I did nothing wrong and I am out $140.00. I should not have to spend anymore money or time trying to work things out with Sony. Toys R Us sold it to me. Once again why am I be punished for being an innocent consumer purchasing an item and extended warranty from their store. They were very rude and accused me of being responsible for the problem. I have never had such a bad experience speaking with managers and supervisors.

Sep 06, 2008

This is a different case because it involves race but "brown paint can cost more". this happens everywhere, take the automobile industry where certain colors cost more, in other industries a variety might havestrong demand but not enough volume, so a marketer would balance that with a higher price. of course in this case, you expect marketers to keep their eyes open when they stick the price tag.

• Je
      Nov 10, 2008
    Toys r us - exchanges
    Ed Noble Parkway
    Norman
    Oklahoma
    toysrus.com

Went to exchange some clothes my daughter received as a gift for her birthday, but did not have a receipt. They refused to exchange the items because I did not have a receipt. I am extremely disappointed in their service. I did not ask for money or even a gift card, only to exchange the items for a larger size. The clothes even still had the original toys r us tags and hangers. Its very sad that this store does not attempt to take care of its customers. I will not purchase anything further from them and will make sure that my family doesn't either.

Nov 17, 2008
    Toys r us - gift card
    toys r us
    Irmo
    South Carolina

I had a coupon from toys r us to purchase $75 in merchandise and receive a free $10 gift card. BOGUS!! When I attemped to use the card approximatley 3 weeks later, there was 0.0 on the card. I had not used the card nor had anyone else.

There is no place on toys r us website to e-mail, only telephone, so 30 minutes of my time later, 4 people later, still no answer.

Store employees are incompetent as are those at the 1-800 phone number.

I will not buy another item from toys r us. When I say I won't go to a store again, I am serious. The last 2 stores, Eckerds - I only went in after desperation - 8 years later and Pulbix, I have only been in twice in the past 7 years.

• El
      Nov 20, 2008

I had a friend that had the same thing happen to her. Toys R Us has gone down hill so bad in the past couple of years. In my opinion you really need to be sure you get what you want, and if you are getting something as a gift for someone that has the chance of breaking/not working then you need to ask if you can bring it back, or look at the fine print of their return policy.

• Ka
      Nov 26, 2008

Well, I understand that must have been very frusterating. I work at Toys 'R' Us. I think I even know what coupon you're talking about. Probably all that happened was the forgot th activate it after they scanned the coupon. All you have to do is take it your card and reciept from that trasaction and explain what happened.

Remember you catch more flies with honey than vinager...
    I am always more willing to believe someones story if they are nice and explain it their story in a calm rational manner.

Dec 22, 2008
    Toys r us - bad service
    toysrus.com

I was looking for the Barbie & The Diamond Castle Playset for my daughter for Christmas. I had looked everywhere. I looked at all the WalMarts, Targets, and KMarts in El Paso, TX and Las Cruces NM. I had also had to travel for work so I checked the Deming NM and Silver City NM WalMarts also. I was not able to find it anywhere.

On 12/12 I went onto Toys R Us web page to try to order it there. They were out of stock but they had this feature that you could get an email when it was in stock. I get email on my phone so I thought that would be great because no mater where I was I would get the email and then I could order the Barbie & The Diamond Castle Playset right then and there, so I signed up for the notifications. The next morning on 12/13 @ 6:30 AM I got the email that said they were back in stock. I got up from my bed and ran up stairs and ordered it over the phone.

The guy I talked to told me that it was in stock and would ship within one to two business days. That would make it ship on 12/15 or 12/16 because it was Saturday. He assured me that I would have it on time for Christmas. The Toys R Us web page also said if you order anything before 12/19 you would get it by Christmas Eve. The guy told me I qualified for some makeup kit for free also I just had to pay for the shipping. I said fine and added it to the order.

On 12/13 @ 7:28 AM I got the email confirming my order with the items in stock and ready to ship. At 10:30 AM I got another email from Toys R Us saying the items are being processed and I would be charged $111.46 for the items with shipping.

On 12/15 without fail the first item was shipped. I went on to track it and found out that it was just the makeup kit from Toys R Us. Not the Barbie & The Diamond Castle Playset that I had really ordered. Just like clock work the Makeup kit arrived from Toys R Us on 12/17, but the item I really ordered still had not shipped out. I then called Toys R Us when I got home from work and the person I talked to said that she was not sure why it had not shipped out but would look into it but I should still not have any issue with getting it here before Christmas. I said OK thanks.

I waited until 12/19 to call again to see what was the stauts because it still showed processing the Barbie & diamond Castle Playset on the Toys R Us web site. When I finally got to a person it was around 12 PM. The lady I talked to told me that it had still not shipped out and could not understand why. She put me on hold for about 10 min and said that she would get an email to her supervisor and they would be calling me back. She also told me I would be getting it before Christmas. Once again Toys R Us was lying to me.

I never received a call from anyone. I got an email @ 4:22 PM on 12/19 saying that the item had shipped. I went on UPS to see when I would be getting it and it only said the billing information had been received. I had to wait until 12/20 to see when I would be getting it. I was glad it had finally shipped.

So today 12/20 I went onto UPS.com to track my Barbie & The Diamond Castle Playset and what a surprise�. I was not getting it until 12/30. THAT IS FIVE�FIVE�DAYS AFTER CHRISTMAS. I am so disappointed. I called Toys R Us again now for the fourth time and talked to another lady. She told me there was nothing she could do for me. She said the package was too heavy or they could have expedited it. Why was I not called? I would have paid the extra to get it on time. I was told I would be called by a manager. It seams to me that the �managers� at Toys R Us are afraid to talk to the customers. The lady on the phone from Toys R Us told me that she would have to send another email to the manager and they would call me. I told her I wanted her to ship me a new doll house and make it two day. Then I would get it by Christmas and I would send back the one that gets here on 12/30. She said that she would send that request to the manager in the email. I asked if I could talk to a manager and she said there are no managers there. I asked it there was another phone number I could call to talk to someone above her and she said NO. I asked how long it takes for a manager to call me and she said, �I don�t know.� I can�t believe this is the way Toys R Us runs it business. I am a manager for a major communications company and if one of my customers, I don�t care who it is, wanted to talk to me I would expect my techs to put me on the phone with them right then and there. I would never treat a customer like Toys R Us is treating me. If we are nothing else in this would we are all connected by the human race. How is it that Toys R Us is so disconnected that they can�t simply talk to their customers? An email has to decide if my daughter is going to have a good Christmas or not. Man Toys R Us you really blew it.

Here is the info. if you would like to do a internal investigation. I sure you will not but I really don�t care at this point. I will also be posting this on every site I can find so that everyone will know what Toys R Us did to me and my child on Christmas.

• Bi
      Dec 28, 2008

Should have keep up with the receipt... your fault... or at least got a gift receipt.

• Le
      Dec 30, 2008
    Toys r us - pricing
    Indiana

Toys R Us routinely prices it's Legos higher than the manufacturers suggested retail price. They are even priced higher than Lego sells them online or by catalog. When we complained to a manager, we were told that corporate set the prices and there was nothing they could do. When I spoke to corporate, they admitted to pricing their stock above the manufacturers suggested retail price. They said that it was "what the market would bear". I am sure that Legos are not the only popular product they over-price, but it is the one I know of firsthand. I hope people will quit shopping there and show them that this is NOT what the market will bear.

Feb 08, 2009

I work at TRU also they probably tried to use the gift card after it expired.

Feb 08, 2009

Or that she is to stupid to realize that Toys R Us and every company for that fact is out to make money not to come out even. Here is a little clue that should make sense if you have a brain unlike the writer of this complaint...

LEGO is the manufacture, so if you buy the items directly from LEGO it will be cheaper since you cut out the middle man (Toys R Us).

LEGOMOM get your tubes tied we have enough stupid people like you in this world we do not need anymore.

• Bi
      Mar 17, 2009
    Toys r us - fraud
    Toys R US

I returned a couple of unwanted birthday gifts last September and got a merchandize credit electronic card. When I tried to use it a couple of months later, it's balance showed 0. After a lot of hassle, several calls to the customer service center, dropped callas and re-telling my story to about 5 different CSR, I was notified that someone used my card to purchase goods online. Naturally, these goods were never shipped to me. A fraud inquiry was supposed to be initiated by TRU. Emphasis on the "was", because when I called a couple of weeks later (went through the same process of several calls, transfers, dropped calls, retelling my story again and again, because even though I had a case number no one had an idea what I was talking about), they promised that NOW they'll work on it. That was in Dec. In January I got no response from them. On the first week of Feb. I called. Again. Still no answer. No one knew what was going on. In mid Feb. I finally got an answer that a new card was being issued to me.
    That card finally arrived by mail, but when I tried to activate it, the CSR asked my for a verifying detail that I supposedly provided them (my mom's maiden name). The thing is no-one asked me for verifying details, so of course there was a mismatch between whatever bizarre information they had on file and what I knew was my mom's maiden name. An hour and a half call, a lot of frustration and "I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do" on part of the CSR, a couple of transfers later and still – the card could not be activated. They even asked my for the original receipt for the original gift card, and refused to understand it was a merchandize credit for which, naturally, I have no receipt.
    At one point they offered that a senior CSR would call me back in 3-5 business days.
    I was tired of their incompetence and the fact that it took them 3 months (!) to reimburse me (in a way I couldn't even use), and threatened to sue them for that amount + any grievances that were caused.
    That worked!
    Five minutes later that card was suddenly functional. Surprise surprise.
    I will go back to TRU one more time – to use that card, and that's it. I will no longer take my business to a place that treats its customers that way.

• Pb
      Jul 22, 2009

Many people buy shrink-wrap machines and use them to re-wrap items and return them. I am sure you were the innocent victim of one of these theives who was trying to screw Toys-R-Us but eneded up screwing you.

Toys-R-Us should immediately exchange the item and apologize. Of course they know you won't pursue it legally, because it is only $140. They could have made a customer or an enemy out of you and they chose enemy.

• Pb
      Jul 22, 2009

HEY! You posteds the original complaint on my birthday. I'm sorry my birthday was sucn a downer for you.

• Di

Nope...

Call a lawyer. Got a witness?? Anyone with you?

I wouldnt let it slide. No way.

Did you pay with a credit card?

Call them, they will help you.

Stand up for yourself, do not back down.

Good Luck!

• Mi
      Aug 12, 2009

i work in the electronics department of toys r us.
    we do not repackage game systems. when an open system comes into our store, it is sent back to the company who made it. in this case, sony. the serial number on that system becomes void anyway.

Aug 19, 2009

I work for TRU, so I, or any other retail associate can tell you, WE MARK STUFF UP! Its how we stay in business. How much do you think your car was marked up by the division you bought it from? How about the food you eat? Clothes you wear? You can stop shopping at a particular market chain or what have you, but it'd be rather difficult to avoid them all, eh? Moreover, have you ever shopped the clearance areas in your local TRU? Or any retailer? Often times last years LEGOs (or any other possible items) are marked DOWN about 50% of retail... which is cheaper than direct from LEGO/whomever. If you attack/complain about one company, then spit in all of their eyes :)

•   Aug 30, 2009

Hey, how about you talk to the person who gave the gift and ask them why, when they were asked at the end of their transaction if they would like a gift receipt with that? Every customer is asked that at the end, just before they pay, it's part of the script. If the customer declines, then your on your own at that point. Or you could always ask the giver of the gift to take a drive to toys with you and have them look up the original receipt, via there credit card number. Stays in the system for 90 days.

•   Aug 30, 2009

So you blame the store for corporate giving you the run around?

• Km
      Nov 19, 2009
    Toys r us - abuse of policy
    Toys/Babies R Us
    New Jersey

November 11, 2017

(Letter written to tru store location manager regarding rewards program... Note: this company has the most #ic, ineffective, rude and arrogant customer service reps of any company I have ever dealt with — on a complete basis! All of the corporate service people I spoke with were just... Plain... Stupid. Unbelievable. Makes you think twice about the company, at least, I do!) letter follows...
    _
    I want to thank you, most sincerely, for resolving our problem about crediting our account for “rewards” we earned through our store purchase (S).

We can’t even imagine how we would have been able to remedy the problem without you, considering the ineptitude, arrogance and complete inefficiency of every individual we were unfortunate enough to deal with at toys r us corporate office. It was a pathetic parody of customer service, from the first – and I loosely use the term – communication with representatives of the corporate office. We were misled, misdirected, sorely patronized, misinformed and, very consistently, left without any assistance to resolve our viable complaint – until we were lucky enough to call you.

Here, is a good time to insert: we asked corporate if we should speak with you, almost from the beginning, but were told, they would handle it. It became glaringly obvious, they couldn’t even understand what the problem was, let alone address it, so we took it upon ourselves to call you – to learn, corporate never even spoke with you about months of our telephone calls to them. Unbelievable. There is no need to rehash the completely idiotic comedy of events we were forced to endure while trying to make sense of the senseless people at corporate toys r us. It was a revelation about the poor quality of customer service at that level in the company and a miserable reflection on the standard and image of toys r us on a larger scale.

We do want to report two very prominent examples of blatant disservice from representatives who said they are “supervisors” at toys r us. We understand conversations are taped for review and urge your corporate officers to do so. Both representatives told us, they were the “last line” in deciding we had no recourse at all and would have to accept their decisions about not issuing our credit. They wouldn’t even consider what we were telling them, which spoke to the facts. Furthermore, they refused to let us speak with a “higher” supervisor, telling us they were the final authority. One identified herself as brenna #5034. She actually told us, the promotion for rewards is a privilege, not a right (Quote!) the other, equally awful representative identified herself as jennifer, #1553. Both insisted we couldn’t speak with anyone else and had to “accept” their decision, as they were the “only ones” to make the decision. We did speak with someone named yvonne, who, although she was unable to resolve the problem, was

-2-

Polite and professional in her image, which certainly cannot be said of brenna and jennifer.

Although we sincerely appreciate that you quickly and efficiently handled a problem in minutes that took months for every single sorry example of customer guest relations service at the corporate level to face with confusion, we can’t help by remain disgusted by the terrible treatment we received at every turn, until we were fortunate enough to contact you. Toys ‘r us is truly lucky, lucky to have you.

I will end this letter here, as to continue would simply rehash the ridiculously disturbing comedy of ineptitude of toys ‘r us that has given us such a lack of confidence in the company’s honesty. We can’t wait to finish all our business with it and share our feedback with everyone we know, in hope of preventing others from the aggravation and mistreatment we experienced.

It is a fact: the true test of a company’s integrity, quality and solidity is not in it’s ability to sell, but in it’s resolve to provide impressive, quality customer service when there is a problem.

Toys ‘r us failed the “test” miserably.

Sincerely,
    Kg
    Nj

• Am
      Jan 09, 2010
    Toys r us - issues with sales representatives
    Hoover
    Alabama

Visited Toys R Us in Hoover, AL on 12/28/09, and had a very unpleasant experience. It was my daughter's first birthday and I was informed by a mailer from the company to let the representatives know that we were in the store for the occasion and that there would be some token of display to celebrate her birthday. I informed a representative and gave them the Geoffrey's B-day Club card and nothing occurred while we were shopping. We were looking at possibly purchasing a toddler car seat and were informed by same representative that there was a 20% off coupon for any baby item in the circular and could be obtained at customer service. I attempted to obtain this coupon, but no representative seemed to know what I was talking about. One lady started talking very loudly over her walkie talkie and asking which representative told me this. No one confessed and I couldn't locate the rep. who told me this. As the lady did this over the speakers, other customers were staring at me because she brought much unneeded attention to me. I later went home and found the circular with the 20% off coupon and was informed when I called the toll free number that because it was my daughter's birthday, I should've been given a discount on something in the store to celebrate her birthday, but that didn't occur. The store also only had one lane open for purchases and one open for returns, this was three days after Christmas so the store was full of shoppers! I did purchase something for my daughter and didn't get any discounts from the store as told I should have from the representative from the 800 number. The store was also not very clean and neat. It really lacked in that department because the toys that were on display to try out were filthy!!! The sales representatives were very unfriendly and didn't seem to know what they were doing. I overheard them talking to other customers and they all seemed overwhelmed and unsure about what they were talking about! They weren't helpful at all!!! Overall, it wasn't a pleasant experience and I don't think I will go back in that store ever again! I have spent a great amount of money at the Babies R Us in the same area and have had a lot better customer experience.

• Ge
      Jan 23, 2010
    Toys r us - not sending earned rewards
    toys r us

My fiance and I literally have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on our 5 month old son during the time before his birth (aug 09) to present. We enrolled in the rewards program to get the special offers and rewards certificates to help with some of the purchases we make. According to the rewards website we have earned rewards certificates yet we NEVER have recieved them. When I call customer service they say to call when the certificates we haven't received expire. They say they will re issue them for the next month. This has happened for two months in a row now and still no rewards. I thought this problem would be solved a month ago when I called and had them input the correct mailing address into their database. The clerk at the store at which we enrolled initially put in the wrong address. This problem has still been left unresolved and I can guarantee I will not be shopping at Toys are us or babies r us until this situation is remedied.

Feb 20, 2010

I agree. Same experience with store in Lancaster, California. To make a long story short, I had my 5-year-old granddaughter with me at the time and the store manager (Carlos) along with his service desk clerk (Laura) made her cry! There is nothing kid-friendly about this store! They should not be in the business!

Feb 20, 2010

I had a similar experience in Lancaster, Ca.

Jun 25, 2010

Ate you sure you gave them the correct address?

Jul 05, 2010

I purchased a General Foam Plastics Corporation infalatable pool to repace a torn pool on a Saturday, started set up Sunday 7/4 for my grandchildren to swim hopefully by Monday, It was torn at the seam, Toys R us will not allow an exchange or return. Told I have to call manufacture, which of course there is no anwser, on hold for more than an hour! Now they may be out today as yesterday was a holiday, but I have to return to work tomorrow, I can not make phone calls during business hours, and have a useless pool .

• Fu
      Aug 24, 2010

I am with you! They did the same thing to me!!! I am about to take it a step further and this was in 2017!

• Al
      Oct 11, 2010

As a former “R Us” employee, of 9 years, I apologize for your unpleasant experience. As far as the Birthday Club goes, the company mails out a birthday card to the child in which a $3 coupon is attached; good towards at purchase of $3 or more (before taxes). When the customer comes into the store, an associate at the service desk or whoever, is supposed to give the child a balloon and crown, and announce the child’s name and birthday over the intercom. In reference to the coupon in the circular, most “R Us” employees do not see the ad until the date of the sale or if they obtain one thru their personal mail; with that being said that could explain why no one seemed to know what you were talking about. Another reason could have been due to the lack of circulars sent to the store. Corporate is responsible to mailing out the circulars; some times they send a limited amount to the stores, and some times they don’t send any at all. And last but not least, it could have been seasonal associates whom lacked the knowledge. Hope this helped.

• Ca
      Nov 11, 2010
    Toys r us - dependent coverage dropped
    Toys R us

Toys R us recently did a audit of employee dependents. They cut 2 of my children as well as my husband off my coverage but chose to cover my other two children. Without any notice they are taking a huge amount of arrears from my paycheck for coverage I was denied. From what I am hearing there are a lot of people that have been wronged in this process. I am hoping to hear from some of them. (class action lawsuit).

• Tp
      Nov 18, 2010
    Toys r us - rude and unknowledgeable
    Katy
    Texas

Tonight, my father and I shopped at toys r us in katy by katy mills mall... Big mistake! The people there were rude & unknowledgeable! In my search for the perfect christmas present for my husband, I found a great shirt that he would love sitting out in plain sight on the shelf. Excited, though it wasn't his size, I inquired whether there were any more. The sales associate for the electronics department (Where the shirts were located) told me that was the very last one because it was a promo item for a video game that had recently been released. Hearing the word promo, I asked whether it was for sale and he said yes of course it was. I then asked the price and when he scanned it, it came up as 1 cent. His fellow associate said he wished to buy it but I said with a smile that I definitely wanted it. The sales associate then said he had to check with the manager for the real price but said, with a smile, that this was definitely my shirt... Then he returned, said it was not for sale and he could not give it back to me. The elation that had blossomed inside me instantly died... He knew it was a promotional item. He said it was for sale anyway. And then he took it from me and walked away. I went to speak to the manager, who was cold and rude and never even said sorry. He just said they would not sell it to me and walked away. My father tried to talk to the man, who insisted that it was going to be shipped back to the manufacturer, but i've worked in a video game store and none of the promo items ever got sent back. I assume that shirt is now on the back of the other associate that had wanted it. I would love someone to check into it and see if it actually did go back to the original manufacturer. I have worked in customer service and retail for 12 years and I have never seen a manager treat any customer the way I was treated. There was no kindness or apologies or anything but annoyance and flat out rudeness from this man. On top of this, my father tried to purchase other things and kept meeting with obstacles. Something rang up wrong, so instead of calling for someone who worked there to go verify the price, they made my dad walk all the way across the store to show them. Then the refused to honor a promotional offer they had running if you purchased more than $75 worth of stuff because apparently one of the many things he was buying was on sale~ not clearance, but the price they had set it at was apparently a deal or something. My father, having been through one hurdle after the other with them left his $100 purchase and walked out. I will never shop at any toys r us again and I will make sure every friend and relative and person on the internet I can reach does the same.

• Po
      Nov 18, 2010

I know sometimes it's easy to assume that stores that sell similar product have similar policies, but that is rarely true, I'm afraid.

• Jl
      Nov 28, 2010

I had the same problem with a customer service representative repeatedly putting me on hold to get a supervisor and after holding three times a supervisor was still not available because "they were really busy" and I was told someone would call me back in 48 hours. Its been a week and a half and I still have not heard from them and I don't expect I will.

• Ha
      Dec 13, 2010
    Toys r us - online ordering and customer service terrible
    Ohio

I ordered gifts online for my children for Christmas. These were ordered with a delivery date that was estimated to be in plenty of time for the holiday. We are going to be leaving to go out of town on a certain date, and it was vital that the gifts arrive in time. As long as they arrived when promised, we actually had time to spare. So, now that it is past the date they were to arrive, and we are leaving town in 4 days, the toys are not here. I call the store. Even though the items are in stock in the warehouse, they have not yet been shipped. So, I ask the person on the phone, after I have waited forever on hold, when they will be shipped, and she says she is sorry but she just has no idea. They are very behind. I ask her what she can do to help me, and she recommends that I call back in a couple of days, or just go ahead and cancel my order. So, I decided to go out to the stores and see if I can find the items before cancelling. Running around all day, I find the items. I get home and call back. The woman who answers the phone after again being on hold forever says that she cannot cancel the order. Even though they haven't shipped the items, they still have to ship them to me anyway, and then I will have to ship them back. I explain to her that I am going out of town and won't be home to accept the packages. They haven't even billed me yet for the items, because they don't bill until they ship. However, she just simply says "sorry" we are going to bill you and ship them to you anyway. Too late. We can't cancel. Although, she still couldn't tell me when they would be shipped or arrive. Absolutely unacceptable!

• Bu
      Dec 29, 2010

I too had that happened to me 3 years ago. Have not stepped into a Toys R us since then. Funny how SOME people on here are telling you it is your fault for not having the receipt when it was a gift. Sounds like someone from Corporate or an associate... Well, Corporate!!! All we wanted was to exchange a size!! You have already gotten the money for it. You have now lost a lot of customers which guess what = a lot of money!! because WE buy toys and clothes for our kids. I was thinking, since I have 2 kids and with christmases, before school shopping, other kid's birthdays, our kid's birthdays, other holidays, etc... I probably could drop about $2, 000 a year in your store. For 3 years ago (when this happened) and the next ohhh 8 years I would be shopping for toys and clothes... I will not! Sooo, You have lost about $22, 000 from me... over a $15 dollar outfit that you had already gotten the money for! LOL!!

• Lo
      Jan 31, 2011
    Toys r us - doesn't care about customers
    Toys R Us

I originally began attempting to contact someone at Toys R Us in regard to a small issue that I have with their return policy. In that attempt I have been shown what little respect or concern Toys R Us has for its customers. At every level, from the employees at the store I was in to the Executive Vic President and Chief Administrative Officer Deborah Derby, I have been treated as if I am just wasting everyone's time and that they wish I would just go away and leave things be. Documenting my concerns seems to be the only thing that anyone is willing to do. No one, at any level, is willing to listen to my concerns with their policy or why I have an issue with them. I went through the channels set up by Toys R Us for customers to send their complaints and when that was not satisfactory, I pursued other avenues to get into contact with someone at the company that could address my concerns. At this point, I have given up on anyone with Toys R Us caring or doing anything about my original issue, but I am not going to give up on the issue I have with how Toys R Us treats its customers.

• Th
      Feb 14, 2011

You posted this comment in another complaint website and still haven't listed any details. Hard to have sympathy. Return policy is clearly posted in store.