Toshiba Satellite A210 / toshiba canada claims no responsibility

1 Canada Review updated:

These products cost us too much money to simply "write them off". You would also think that in our current economic crisis, companies as big as Toshiba would be pushing their customer service representatives to strive harder for satisfied customers. Large companies have just as much fear these days of bankruptcy as smaller ones do.

My husband and I both purchased new Satellite laptops last year. His worked out of the box, mine didn't. His was missing a pixel, and occassionaly the screen goes black and shuts itself off, but generally, he is satisfied with the machine. We also convinced his father and brother that these laptops were awesome and they purchased similar models as well. My Toshiba Satelitte is an A210 model, I opened the box and it couldn't load the preloaded software. I called Toshiba and they told me "it happens sometimes" and they told me to return it for a replacement at Futureshop - which I did. I was quite happy with the replacement purchased in November 2007. It worked out of the box, all the pixels functioned and the screen didn't go black. In fact, I was sure I had the best one of the bunch that our family purchased. I didn't use the machine very much, but when I did, I was very satisfied with it's performance. Then ... the warranty expired in October 2008. I had always noticed it got really hot but then it started overheating and shutting itself off. In January 2009 I went to the Toshiba website to see if there were any manufacturer's recalls, etc. etc. There weren't any recalls, however, the problem with the A210's was listed and there was a program that could be downloaded to fix same. The "program" was going to update my bios and make the fan work better and at different intervals. There was a warning on the website telling me to make sure my computer was plugged in before attempting the update. I did, I ran the update and I flashed my drive. A message appeared on my screen that my computer was about to shut off. It did, but it never came on again. After 15 minutes I called Toshiba Tech support and was basically advised I was "lucky" they weren't charging me for the call and was told that I had a "bad flash" and to take it into futureshop to have them look at it - at my expense. The computer couldn't even "post" so the only solution that Futureshop could come up with - they couldn't perform (which was to perform a re-install). I left FutureShop and went seeking other help. I was told by virtually every computer shop in Town that my computer is now an expensive paperweight. One place pulled the battery off the motherboard for me - hoping that this would erase the memory of the bad flash on my bios chip - but to no avail. I called Toshiba, hoping to get coupons towards my next laptop purchase. I figure they could at least give me a discount or something, considering it was a "known" problem and their solution is what cooked my machine. I called them twice and spoke at length with their customer service reps. Apparently my issue doesn't warrant a supervisor escalation. I'm not very happy with this. I truly feel it should have been a manufacturer's recall. Many people with this model have overheating machines. Toshiba knows this - otherwise they wouldn't be offering a fix. Many people are successfully downloading a bios update that works. However, I'm sure that I cannot be the only person that cooked my computer with their "fix". Regardless, my computer that used to occasionally shut off from overheating, can never be turned back on again because the manufacturer offered a fix that fried my computer. There was no negligence on my part ... except my warranty was 3 months outdated. Please, if you are going to purchase a computer, buy the extended warranty - as customer satisfaction is no longer a priority with big business. mynameistonya@hotmail.com
PS I feel better that this website is here to "share" our experiences. With sincerity, THANKS!

Aa

Comments

• Am
      22nd of Mar, 2009

hey

I'm haveing the same problem as your husband, I got this laptop december 26 2007 after about 2 weeks i was fed up with it so i took it back to staples and told them what was happening with it, They were like well there 2 thing we can do, 1 get it tested or 2 give you another one, so we said will take a new one, so i got home open it up and turned it on and seen that there was a missing pixel, so i said ok that fine then about 2 hours later the screen went funny it went black then it showed these copper bars, so i was like what is going to so my boyfriend said to reboot it so i did then after that i would be on it for a couple hour and the screen would either go black or the copper bars, So we took it back and said that its doing the same thing but this time it has a missing pixal, there like well we cant do anything about the pixel but if you like we can either do a test here for 1 week and if we find anything will send it back or we can send it back to the company and they can do test, So we said will send it to the company, So 15 days later we get a call and saying it back, So when we get there they said nothing wrong with it they did 20 different test on it and it passed every one of them, So i was like fine, So we took it back home and maybe after been home for about 5 hour i turn it on and check my mail and the screen goes black, so i starting to get really pissed by then. so now it a year and a bit later it still doing the same thing but not it make A loud beeep beeeep . so if you can help me in any way that will be great .

Amanada

• Mu
      8th of Oct, 2009

I'm having the exact same problem! They referred me to Future Shop, what a load of crap. They know it's their fault... they offer a 'fix' for something that the Satellite A210 is plagued with and all it does is render the computer useless. They're supposedly escalating the issue but I couldn't understand a word the CSR said at times regarding that... before this he told me to take it to Future Shop (which is where we bought it) and I don't dare do that unless I have some sort of proof that it's still under warranty.

Almost all laptops have overheating issues but this thing baffles me, the video goes out and i have to shut it down by holding down the power... only to boot it back up again and get countless amounts of errors every time (it even had to run Recovery one time). This notebook is my parents and I would never buy a Toshiba notebook because of this.

• My
      13th of Jun, 2010

I had the same problem with our toshiba a210 laptops !
    our family purchased 2 as they were on sale at Futureshop.
    Both machines got hot from day 1.
    1 a210 I applied the bios fix, soon after the fan underneath blew entirely !
    I searched the Internet for a replacement and I was not feeling good
    about updating the bios on the second machine. The replacement fan I found was ~ $14 and the time to disassemble the machine, replace the fan and reassembly ~ 1hr (I've done it b4).

SOLUTION : Ive done to both the updated A210 bios with broken fan and A210 without updated bios and working fan.

purchase a laptop cooling mat, try to get one with @ least a fan on the left and right sides, mainly the left side so the fan can blow through the vent there on the bottom where fan is and eject the hot air through the side.

my-tech@hotmail.com