Tlg Great Fun / rip off!

1 San Diego, CA, United States

I received a $5.00 check from Miles Kimball, ostensibly a bonus for recent purchases and, due to the economy and needing every dollar that comes my way, I cashed it. Big mistake! Two weeks later I received a package from Great Fun! with indications that after my 30 day free trial they'd begin deducting $129.99 from my credit card. I called immediately to cancel using the [protected]. I received a confirmation number and thought it was over.

The next day I put the name Great Fun in the system and looked up the list of complaints and realized they had more information on me than I wanted. I took one of the numbers from one of the complaints listed here and called again. At first I got one of the telemarketers who know enough to verify cancellation information and wouldn't have gone further if I hadn't pressed the issue. When I wanted to know if they had my credit information she finally said yes and when I demanded they remove it from the system she passed me on to her supervisor. The supervisor assured me they could only see the last four digits of my credit card but that told me that they still had my information and although she was more than willing to end the conversation with the fact that my information had been canceled. I kept demanding that my credit information be removed.

She then passed me on to a man further up in the hierarchy that told me I'd initiated the membership by cashing that stupid $5.00 check. He "assured" me that my information would not generate any further memberships, nor would it be sold on any lists but when I continued to demand my credit card info be removedimmediately he told me it would not be purged from their computers for 6 months to a year. I work with an Information Technology department and know that there are backdoors into these systems, regardless if they are set to purge, so I will be calling again until I get satisfaction but for now:

NEVER cash these small checks
ALWAYS read the small print
CHECK your bank account constantly

I will be canceling that particular ATM card as I no longer trust that it will not be compromised by this company.