Tire Kingdom / scam/ ripoff

1 Colonial Drive/ Alafaya TrailOrlando, FL, United States Review updated:

I went into Tire Kingdom today to get two new tires. I purchased the other two 3 months ago. When I went in, I told them that I needed the two new ones put on the front, the front semi-new ones moved to the back, and the back ones gone. Then, I wanted an alignment (which I got scammed into for a ONE YEAR alignment when I purchased the first two).

Anyway, an hour later, I got a call that I need new brakes, brake flush because the fluid was contaminated (?), new struts on the back tires (bull), and I needed to replace the other two tires that I JUST replaced 3 months prior with them.

I got on the Chevy website and got the specs for my car. I have a 2007 HHR and the date I went into the shop was 12/2008. First let me say, my brakes are fine, my brakes didn't need to be flushed or anything like that, the other tires were perfectly fine, and finally the clincher — I DON"T HAVE struts on the back of my car. According to a certified chevy mechanic, I have a transion beam (a solid beam attached to the chassis) and springs on the back of my car. I DONT EVEN HAVE struts in the back. He tried to scam me.

BEWARE FEMALES. They really tried to get $1500.00 out of a $200.00 job.

FYI - As per another mechanic, brakes, springs, front struts, tires, etc., are in perfect working order.

BEWARE RIPOFF!!!

Comments

• Mf
      10th of Jul, 2009

Doesn't surprise me at all.
    I found this page by Googling, looking to find other Tire Kingdom ripoff stories.
    I had my two rear tires replaced yesterday. After putting the new tires back on the mechanic told me I needed to talk to their manager. The manager told me my rear brakes were shot and leaking and I needed them replaced, along with new brake cylinders. Said they were leaking brake fluid too.
    I asked if I could see the problem, but he told me since the wheels were back on already, he couldn't take them off unless I signed the order to do all the work.
    $400.00 worth of work they wanted to do.
    What I suppose he didn't know was that I had had the front AND rear brakes replaced just the week before. And the mechanic who did the work showed me what he had done, as well as showed me the damaged parts he replaced. I've been going to that guy for years, and he's great.
    I had expected Tire Kingdom to try to scam me in some way anyway. I just thought they'd give me a little more credit than to be so easily fooled.
    The truth about Tire Kingdom and similar places is that they are encouraged to try to sell you stuff you don't need. Equally, they are encouraged to take advantage of the fact most people don't know enough about cars to refute their claims, and they are encouraged to take advantage of the basic trusting nature of people.
    I think the BBB needs to come down hard on some of these places.

30th of Nov, 2009

Actually a one year alignment policy is a bad deal. A better deal is a 3 or 5 year policy that is transferable to another vehicle one time. The reason is you are going to have to get your car aligned about once every 6 months to make sure you don't wear your tires out prematurely.

The Chevy mechanic you talked to failed to inform you correctly. According to shop manuals your vehicle has shocks on the back. Shocks are normally recommended at 50K miles regardless and could be recommended sooner if you show irregular tire wear or leaking hydraulic cylinders. Also a bounce test is helpful. If you bounce on the rear of the vehicle and it does not settle in one bounce or less then you should replace the shocks.

I can not answer for the brakes on your car but a typical wear on front brakes would be at 50k miles. Your driving habits could make that sooner or later depending. The brake flush however should be done every year. Regardless of the condition of the fluid visually. If it is clean you want to keep it that way. If it is dirty it is way to late. Brake fluid is hygroscopic. This means it readily absorbs moisture. This will cause air bubbles to form when the heat builds up. It also cause corrosion of internal brake parts. Not to mention debris which is formed by the seals and rubber lines in the brake system. If you stay on top of this you will avoid costly caliper, wheel cylinder, master cylinder, and maybe even ABS system repairs in the not to distant future. No matter what anyone says you cannot seal a master cylinder well enough to prevent moisture from being absorbed by the brakes system fluid at some time. Once a year. It is only about $70 bucks. That is not expensive over the course of a year.

It is good that you got a second opinion just keep the above in mind. As for the brake lining, Tire Kingdom now uses a brake gauge at most stores. It comes in an easy to read red, yellow, and green indicator. It also records the mm of thickness on a pad. 4mm or less would be a reason to be concerned before further damage is cause to the rotors and possibly calipers.

As for the comment by Mfl5dfkg, Tire Kingdom does not encourage any salesman or associate to sell anything other that recommend or required services for your convenience. I do not know what happen at that location you speak of but I do find it highly unlikely to find a fault with something only a week old. If you had complained to another store or possible a district manager they would take you vehicle apart at no charge to find fault with the manager or mechanic who misinformed you. Discipline would likely be enforced and then other customers would not have to deal with similar situations. However, it is possible that the rear brakes did not get a proper cleaning after the wheel cylinders were replaced a week ago. That would lead the mechanic to believe that the new ones were leaking. It is also possible that the new parts were faulty. It has happened to every mechanic out there. Anybody tells you otherwise they are most likely lying or they haven't been working on cars very long.