Time Warner Cable / selling off phone numbers

Goldsboro, NC, United States Review updated:
I decided to get the time warner 3 service deal, that being, internet, cable TV and digital phone...they came, hooked me all up...within 24 hours I was getting solicitation phone calls for some magazine deal, some clearing house crap and some other thing I had supposedly won, , , , I asked the girl how she got my name and phone number, she said from a telephone number broker...Time warner sells off your phone numbers to these telemarketers...I was pissed...so...thanks to time warner, I am going to cancel all my services with Time warner...I should have never left dish network
Pa

Comments

Sc
  20th of Oct, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
It took a week for my non-stop telemarketing calls to start. Ive added the number to the do not call registry. Hopefully it will curb the calls.
Ro
  30th of Mar, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Within 36 hours of signing up with TimeWarner and their triple play deal, I have been receiving anywhere from 5 to 15 unsolicited tele-marketing calls. Before Timewarner, I rarely received any calls. I called Time Warner several times and they deny selling my phone numbers to a list broker.

Is it complete and total coincidence? Possible, but I THINK NOT.

Oh, all my numbers are on the do not call registry and have been for over two years.
Go
  8th of May, 2009
yES! we never had a home phone before. My husband got it for work meeting calls only, outgoing to meeting hubs only. We NEVER give it out as we never answer, never get calls in from it and guess what? We go through weeks where we get 4-5 calls a day from ONLY telemarketers. And now Im on the phone with TW and she says of course: we dont sell your information. Isnt this illegal? I get calls for our 'credit cards, auto warranties'. Ive told them to remove us from the call list, they obviously arent. They just wait a few weeks and continue. The lady still says they arent selling the list. Dont believe her, disconnecting. Using Vonage. When I used them at my office and started getting these calls, i called them and told them to not sell my info and it stopped. if they can do it, TW can. Plus she says they dont publish the #. Liars I believe.
Go
  8th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
UPDATE: Found out TW will make your # available to Telemarketers if you DONT mark it 'private' with them. ALSO: enroll your # with DONOTCALL.gov. We already had when this started. Such crap. Staying with them as their discoutning our service and changing the # and making it private. BEWARE NEW USERS.
Te
  25th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I had the same problem a year ago with them. I had to pay 4.99 a month to go unlisted, and I STILL had my number sold. The thing about the "private" is true, you have to call them separately and demand it. Once I did the calls petered off within 7 days and stopped altogether. Now if I can get them to stop calling my cell phone soliciting me from different numbers around the country for more cable products. Drop TIME WARNER NOW.
La
  10th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Hmmm... sounds so familiar! I had my services hooked up about 1 pm on Friday and today (Monday) I've already had three telemarketing calls. I called Time-Warner and they tell me they don't sell their phone numbers. I said, "so, you give them away?" What a lie! There is absolutely no way anyone would even know I have a new phone number, let alone know my name to ask for me personally, if they did not get it from them. What a crock! I hope someone sues them.
Jo
  26th of May, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Yes... never had a problem with telemarkets calling at all. We are on the National Do not call list. About 48 hours after Time Warner installed our Digital phone service... we are receiving calls from non-profit telemarketers. They must be exempt from the do not call list... not sure that's what I have heard. Do they disclose that they do this somewhere? Thanks Time Warner really appreciate it! I guess I will have to explore other options. Such a bad way to do business. Are they really that desperate for the money? I bet they would rethink their policy, of selling their customers info, if many of their customers sent/called in complaints. I bet most don't even realize that TW sold their info.
Al
  25th of Jul, 2010
Just signed up for triple play from twc and same problem. There was no way these telemarketers could have my name and number other than twc selling it. Time Warner Cable are indeed engaged in dubious practices.
Ms
  11th of Oct, 2010
Just signed up with Time Warner cable with the triple play package deal last Wednesday and today is Monday. Not EVEN A WEEK LATER and I have been completely BOMBARDED with Telemarketing calls. They said I won a vacation or been approved for free ADT service. I called TWC only to speak with a representative who completely denied the whole "leaking out my phone number" thing. I explained to her that I have my cell phone as my main service and have for years and no one has this new number bc I had to reason to give it out! This meant that it was given out by them. I only got empathy with no sympathy for the rest of the conversation with it ending on me requesting a "new" number and insisted that it again have a private listing. Which she explained had not been added to my account on the first request less than a week ago...It was! She said, "we can go back and forth all day with you saying we did and me telling you we didn't and we don't and we are not going to get anything resolved...what would you like for me to do?...ummmmmmmm CHANGE MY NUMBER AND DON'T GIVE IT OUT AGAIN!...is this too much to ask?!! I think NOT!
Ru
  13th of May, 2012
Time Warner is the only "utility" I have that misspells my name, but is completely unable to correct the spelling no matter how I try to get them to change it. The misspelling of my name in this unique manner lets me know how many businesses TW has sold my information to. I constantly receive junk mail, spam emails to that uniquely misspelled name. I've never recieved mail to my name misspelled in this fashion till I made the mistake of acquiring TW as my internet service provider. No where is the name spelled in that fashion. I googled it to look up variations in spelling, and there's no one that has my name spelled in that fashion.
Th
  10th of Apr, 2013
Time Warner talked me into the bundle deal to, it was cheaper to have all three services instead of just internet and cable. Once we had our private phone it started ringing immediately. Non stop telemarketers, we never even gave this phone number to any friends or family due to the fact everyone in the house has cell phones. They should not be able to do this. Time Warner you suck.
St
  13th of May, 2013
The very same day that I had my unpublished (private) Verizon Wireless number ported over to TWBC, I started getting telemarketer calls about my business accepting credit cards. I get several calls a day which is very annoying, given that the number is our home number and not business related.

This seems to be more than coincidental. Is there a way to block this activity, or perhaps get some legal council involved? Sounds like I'm not alone on this...
Fi
  20th of Jun, 2014
What they do is they track your calls as well! I had to call IRS about a week ago to schedule my payments. Today, I received a call from "IRS" telling me they were filling a law suit against me! What???? WTH? So, when I questioned about mail corresponds rather than phone; the guy on the line threaten to send the sheriff to pick me up- I responded go ahead plz! In 2 minutes another call came me from "local sheriff Dep" asking me if I was home so, they could come and pick me up...long story short...I just added my # in Do Not Call list; and filed a complained about this scam on the IRS page. But...come to realize I got this call because I called IRS 3-4 times within the last month! I called a travel agency to ask some information and sure enough I received a call from a Time Share company asking me that I won a trip to Cabo!
Tw
  2nd of Jul, 2014
Time Warner does indeed sell your information. They have a "mailing list" which they disclose or sell as they see fit which includes such information as your name, address and, except in California, the particular non-phone services to which you subscribe (e.g., HBO or other premium channels, or tiers of service). In addition, they may add to this mailing list information commercially-available information about you that is obtained from third parties, such as your age, income, and other demographic or marketing information.
You must send a letter to a local office or an email to their privacy officer to asked to be removed from this "mailing list"... aka the info TWC sells about you to anyone who pays!

Time Warner Cable Logo Time Warner Cable