Time Warner Cable / don't switch to time warner internet unless you're looking to commit suicide!

For years I functioned on the Verizon land line/DSL combo. Suddenly it dawned on me that the receiver on my home phone didn't even work, so it was time to say goodbye.

I called Verizon to see about keeping the Internet and ridding of the land line. "You'll be without the Internet for 21 days," the Verizon customer service rep admonished. "Well then I guess I gotta switch to Time Warner," I threatened. "Okay," responded the Verizon rep. I hung up in a huff, and immediately called Time Warner. To my surprise, I got through to a customer service representative in a matter of seconds. Things were gonna change. Life was good. But little did I know that by signing up with Time Warner Internet, I was about to be in for the MOST frustrating, anger and sadness-filled time of my life. And I went to Catholic school.

It all started on December 10th. I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Time Warner Internet technician between the hours of one and three. One and three? And on a Sunday? This is the best company ever, I thought.

At 2:45pm Jose knocked on my door. He was a nice gentleman who did go out of his way to make sure everything was up and running. He even told me I was being charged too much each month, that I wasn't getting email, and that the download speed was considerably lower than I was promised. Jose was confused by the misinformation I had been given and left me with a customer service number to call so I could clear things up. All in all, a good experience. Poor Jose. Such a nice chap. But now it was up to me to brave the waters of the Time Warner customer service line.

My first post-Internet call was to Monica, who then informed me that even after the monthly charge was "corrected," I was still being overcharged by $120. Glad they caught that, I thought.

But it is now December 20th, and since the 10th, this is the first day that I have had the Internet work consistently for more than 2 hours. It has gone out numerous times each day since the 10th.

I made many calls to customer service so I could pinpoint the problem, but when warned that the wait would be greater than 30 minutes, I hung up the phone because of other commitments. Finally, on the 14th, I gave in and decided to wait the "greater than 30 minutes." But alas, I couldn't make it past 55 minutes, as my dinner guests had arrived. This was getting out of control.

So today I call Time Warner to get the scoop on a missing remote and the Internet problem. I get through to the cable side immediately, and the remote issue was resolved. Dale explains that he has to transfer me to an Internet technician, so I say that's no big deal and I wait to be connected. For 15 minutes I listen to the same damn hold music, when suddenly I am disconnected. Are you serious? I think. Oh well. I call back.

This time I get through to the Internet tech fairly easily. Her name is Trina. I very calmly tell Trina that something weird has been going on lately, that I just assume it's a fluke, and that I'm sure she has some Adelphia-related explanation for the mishap. I remind Trina a dozen times that my Internet seems to be working okay at the moment, and that I'm guessing there must be some note in the computer about the random outages. Trina then puts me on hold 3 or 4 times and comes back to the line. "Unplug your modem. Hold it for 5 seconds. Then plug it back in," she says. I comply. "Is your Internet working now?" she asks. "It's been working today," I remind her, "Remember? It's just that it's gone out every day before today and I really can't afford to have this happen. I mean, I work from home and I need the Internet for my job." "Oh no. That's baaaadddd," Trina says. "Ah, yeah it is. Is there anything in your computer about the Adelphia change or anything?" I ask. "Yeah, I know there have been some problems with the change," Trina says to me. At this point I'm beginning to think she's high.

"Trina," I ask, "Is this something that's going to happen every day? Because if it is, I think I'm going to have to change companies. I'm really sorry, but I just can't afford to be without the Internet all the time." "No. That's bad. But is your Internet working today?" Trina asks. "Wow. This is getting weird," I say, "What in the world is going on? I mean I think I'm going to have to cancel the service. Can you just tell me what I need to do to cancel the service?" "Ohhhhh," Trina whispers, "You gotta call the local office to find that out." Defeated, I then ask for the number for the local office, to which Trina responds, "Um, I gotta put you on hold to get that." "That's no problem," I say. Trina then comes back with the "local" number of which she had spoken, and begins delivering it to me in the softest voice, as if she is about to crack up. "One-Eight-Eight," she says, and before she can go on I interrupt her. "Wait. That's a local number?" I ask. "Yep," Trina says. "Okay," I say, "Go on. Sorry about that." "1-8-8-8 (long pause) 8 (pause) 9 (pause) 2 (pause)," she begins, and I can't believe what I'm hearing. I'm thinking, there's no way she's actually doing this, so I let her continue. "2 (pause) 2 (pause) 5 (pause) 3," she says, and then takes a deep breath. "888-TW-CABLE?" I ask, "That's the local number for California? 'Cause that's the number I dialed to get to you, Trina. Where are you?" "I'm in British Columbia," she says, "Is there anything else I can help you with today?" "No, no, Trina. You certainly can't help me with anything," I say. And then I hang up.

In conclusion, DON'T switch to Time Warner Internet unless you're looking to commit suicide. Their Internet is the WORST, and the customer service hold music sounds like it was composed by a rat.

Va

Comments

• Am
      26th of Feb, 2007

We've had Time Warner for about a year and I agree with most statements here. The first few months were hell. They kept charging us for things and we did not know why. We had to have someone breakdown each item on the bill and explain, in plain English, what each item was. A lot of it turned out to be useless, so we trimmed off a few options (most of which we were told were included as bonuses for joining - a lie) and knocked our stuff down to digital cable, phone, internet, and DVR.

Well, for the first month or so, we had problems with our phone and internet. The internet or phone would go out for no reason and we would call Time Warner, only to go through hold hell, useless operators, and promises of service technicians who showed up 2 hours late (or not at all - which we were charged for once and later had to have removed from our bill). We exchanged the modem twice, finally buying our own router rather than renting theirs.

The phone did not work properly at first. We got static and popping on the "crystal-clear" digital phone. Plus, it would go out at night and stay off for hours. What if the house caught fire or we needed 911? Guess we're screwed.

The DVR would go off at midnight and reset itself, sometimes taking hours to do so (meaning we could not watch TV at all - even though we're paying for 24 hours of TV). This also ceased after a while. Now we get occasional glitches, especially with some of the on-demand stations.

Frankly, I have no idea why most of these events stopped happening after about six or seven months of service. We haven't had to call anyone in months. Were they just trying to shake us off?

The only problem we have now is with the DVR, but we've got stuff saved on it and we can't replace it right now. I just wish I knew why most of the problems seemingly disappeared about six months ago.

31st of Mar, 2007

Iv been with these money hungry creeps for over 2 years now, and all i ever have with them is problem after problem. I call them to come out and try to fix the problem 5 times..

The first time they came out, they hooked me up to my neighbors twc phone line.

The second time they came out, was because they gave us the wrong box, and switched it. Then the ### said and i quote "Sir, we dont have hdtv boxes" so then he left and i drove down their and with my very eyes, i see hundreds of hd boxes behind all the ### that work there... So i exchanged it..

The third time they came out here, cause my internet connection was dying cause they hooked me up with my nieghbers internet connection... So they installed a box..

The fourth time they came out here, cause my internet connection still was disconnecting...

The fifth and final time they came out here, i told them my phone dies when im downloading something, and they came out here and guess what the clueless ### said? "I wasn't trained on internet connection and phone services, i only help with cable tv issues...

Ever since iv been unhooking and rehooking my router at least 5 times a day to reset the connection.. Because no one will help me...

And another reason i dont like time warner cable is because, they are homophobic ###s.. I was visiting my parents, and my boyfriend was at home and they called and asked for me, and my boyfriend said he is at his parents house can i help you. And some woman said i can only talk to matthew labare. Then my boyfriend asked is it about his bill cause i can pay it right now, and then she said, SORRY SIR BUT WE DONT BELIEVE IN THAT ###..... Meaning since were not a straight couple my boyfriend couldn't the bill...

I hate Time Warner Cable, and i hope they go out of business and they all go to prison for stealing everyones money and making their customers go through hell... Also for false advertisment, but again this is America, the land of ###!

• Ia
      4th of Apr, 2007

I totally agree with the complaints that have been posted. I'm a customer of Time Warner Cable in the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina and can attest to the poor quality and false advertisements. I have had Time Warner for about two years now and I wish that I could just tell them a piece of my mind. What I dont understand is why they charge you a month in advance for service that you haven't used as yet, it just seems ridiculous to me. For starters to even call and pay a bill by phone is torture because of the hassle of waiting on the phone for customer help. Needless to say each month I get a shock when the bill comes in the mail and they seem to beat around the bush when you ask for an explanation or better yet they don't know themselves whats happening. Time Warner needs to improve their service to their customers, because without us there would be no Time Warner!!!

19th of Nov, 2007

This is the same hell I went through. I had no internet at the time in the place I'm currently living in and so I called TWC to set up an appointment after talking to the service rep. guy for what I needed I got a scheduled appointment time for a few days later. Little did I know what I was getting myself into. So the Cable Guy was supposed to come between 1-3 PM. Well he never showed, so after 3 I called TWC's 800 number to find out what was going on. The TWC cable guy was running late so they sent out a third-party contractor to pull up the slack. This other guy comes along, installs the cable box, but wait, he never was told that I signed up for Internet too! Oh ###, lucky me he had an extra crappy cable modem in his car. So cables up, internet is running, and that was it, or so I hoped.

Few days later I installed an Online Game that I played back in the day, and this is where my troubles began. After installation, I couldn't connect to the games servers, always was disconnected. So I did my check of firewalls, etc. Still wouldn't work. Called the Games Service Department and found out some of the ports that were needed to be open to connect to the servers were being BLOCKED by TWC's RoadRunner. So just to make sure it wasn't on my end, I took my PC to my friend’s house and used his DSL and the game connected just fine.

To make this short and sweet, I called TWC 10 times, had them out 3 times, and bought myself MY own cable box, and it wasn't until that last phone call when I threaten and continually told them how displeased I was. I asked them for a customer service mailing address and was going to send out mass mail to the chain of commanded at TWC. After that, my game was able to connect to the servers and I've never had a problem since.

Just like the Original Poster, when you power cycled your modem, it would flash check to make sure everything was working, well when I did that I would have to wait 2 hours to get reconnected. My last phone call did something to get their ### in gear to fix the port issue.

SO I got lucky, but after being pissed off and not-so-happy to see my cable bill keep getting bigger and bigger, I don't know if dealing with these guys is worth it anymore. Can't wait till Google comes out as an ISP.

• Ya
      17th of Aug, 2008

I have TWC in the Raleigh/Durham area only because I can't get a satellite signal in the apartment that I moved into 2 years ago. There are two freakin' apartments in this whole complex that can't get a satellite signal and mine has to be one of them. Murphy's law at work again. Prior to that I had DirectTV and LOVED IT!!! TWC is more expensive for less channels. Plus, the Raleigh/Durham affiliate of TWC does not carry the Bravo channel. I've called countless times and complained and asked them when they're going to carry it and they tell me the same thing each time - Bravo is their most requested channel and pleasing their customers is TWC's main concern. Then why don't they just carry the channel? It doesn't matter why you call them, they give you the same "Stepford", preprogrammed answers. Nothing ever changes; I've only seen things get worse.

Tonight I'm trying to watch the Olympics and my DVR has rebooted itself suddenly and for no apparent reason at least 8x tonight. The whole reboot thing takes 3-5 minutes to process each time. Anything I'm recording stops and when it finishes rebooting it doesn't automatically start up again, I have to do it manually. This reboot-for-no-reason thing has been going on since last week.

I'm moving to a smaller apartment next month because my oldest child has moved off to college. I can't wait to go back to DirectTV. If I never had to deal with TWC ever again in my lifetime I'd be a very happy person.

• Sc
      23rd of Jun, 2011

Isn't it weird how TWC makes a lot of mistakes by overcharging folks? Shouldn't mistakes work two ways i.e.: either over charged, or undercharged. By some crazy fluke of nature their mistakes always only go one way in which I don't even need to tell you. They are ###ing parasites of the lowest nature !!! They charge different prices for the same thing to different people in my city, how that is legal I will never know. Their karma is going to be an ugly hot mess!!! Rot in hell skum bags!!! & that's doing a disservice to skum bags!