Thomasville Furniture / Problems with Thomasville furniture!

My wife and I recently purchased a Felicity Sunlit Cherry Bedroom Suite from Thomasville Furniture. Our Thomasville saleswoman had led us to believe that our Thomasville furniture would be made in North Carolina, but when it was delivered we discovered that it was all made in China. Thomasville had built its reputation on delivering high quality American-made furniture from North Carolina -- but it appears that those days are now long gone.

The fit & finish of our Thomasville made-in-China furniture was poor. There's really no other way to describe it. Our bedroom suite has a total of 28 drawers. Many drawers weren't centered in their openings; some drawers were recessed in too far, and other drawers extended out too far. After 2 visits from Thomasville's repair people, we still have: 8 drawers not centered in their openings; 13 that extend out too far; and 7 that are recessed in too far. Thomasville's repair people told us that our remaining problems were non-repairable. So I guess we'll just have to learn to live with this poor quality.

When we purchased our furniture, we specifically asked our Thomasville saleswoman what kind of wood was used in its construction. She told us it was "entirely cherry". When we later asked Thomasville's repair people that same question, they looked at our furniture and readily identified over 5 different species of wood -- just one was cherry, and at least 2 were obscure, unidentifiable Chinese hardwoods. What we actually received was quite different from what we paid for. When we brought this to the attention of the management of our Thomasville dealer, they completely ignored our complaint.

At first glance, Thomasville's construction quality appeared to us to be quite good (i.e., dovetail drawers, etc.). But in places where it wouldn't be quite as obvious to a customer, some of the furniture's joints are held together with staples. That doesn't instill much confidence that the furniture will last for more than a few years. We would have expected to find that kind of cheap construction in bedroom suites that cost under $1,500 -- but not in a Thomasville bedroom suite that cost us over $5,000!

My wife's dresser arrived with a large 10" circular hole in the back of the cabinet. Rather than repairing this damage "before" the furniture was shipped, Thomasville's factory instead tried to conceal the damage by screwing a large Masonite panel over the hole. While Thomasville repaired the damaged back panel "after" we discovered it, the point is that Thomasville deliberately shipped severely damaged furniture to a customer with the hope that the damage would never be discovered. That's not what one would expect from a quality "world class" furniture brand.

Thomasville's furniture is shipped with a Chinese "plasticized" finish. In our experience, it attracts dust like a magnet and unlike a quality lacquered or varnished finish it's relatively soft and easily damaged. According to Thomasville's "printed furniture care instructions" my wife and I are not suppose to allow synthetics, rubber, or plastics to rest on the wood finish as they may damage the finish. That, of course, prohibits placing most lamps, clocks, radios, TVs, pens, etc. on top of your Thomasville furniture unless you first modify the bottoms of those products.

Everything at Thomasville seems to now be focused on charging its customers as much as possible, while at the same time cutting its costs as much possible. Even the screws that hold the knobs to the drawers have been cost-cut. Rather than extending the screws into the knobs by at least 3/8", they just barely touch the knob. The cost savings across an entire bedroom set has to be less than a dollar -- and yet amazingly Thomasville still went for it.

After contacting our local Thomasville dealer several times about many of these problems and receiving no satisfaction, my wife and I wrote to Ed Teplitz, president of Thomasville Furniture Industries -- and also to Ralph Scozzafava, CEO of Furniture Brands International. Furniture Brands International owns Thomasville, along with Broyhill, Lane, Drexel Heritage, Henredon, and Maitland-Smith. Neither of them ever responded to us. That pretty much sums-up our Thomasville customer satisfaction experience.

Bi

Comments

• Mr
      14th of Apr, 2008

I had the same treatment with my simmons bed that I purchased from Thomasville in Buford, Ga.

Cancelled my order after receiving damaged goods twice in a row.

Customer service and sales representatives are rude, deceiving.

Thomasville do not hold up to their standard!!!

• Do
      27th of Apr, 2008

Bedroom set, I don't know what kind of finish that they have on the furniture. I bought a vanity tray with rubber tips and it took off the finish from the dresser. Now I have four dots on my dresser. I have to call them to see just what they will do.The warranty is good for one year.I have been
    having trouble with them since my furniture was delivered.They keep giving me th run around. I guess they
    hope I will give up, or maybe they hope the warranty will expire.I really don't know what to do. I have been trying to get them to put a sopport in the center of the bed.I'ts a full size bed an they said they don't make frames for full size beds.I checked the enternet and they do have frames for full size beds with a center support. I can't understand why the warehouse is having so much trouble getting one.
    Sincerely
    Dorothy A. Mills

• Ca
      7th of Nov, 2008

I have had a horrible time with two chairs and an ottoman that I purchased form the Buford, GA store. Customer service at Classic Moving and Storage has been horrible. I have been without one of my chairs for 108 days out of 10 months this past year. I still don't have my chair and no one is working on it (I was told it is sitting in a warehouse). They took it back for it's second issue. Poor quality. I am just waiting for the other chair to have issues. Unacceptable. I will never buy from Thomasville again.

• Br
      16th of Feb, 2009

Feb. 16, 2009
    We purchased a WORKSTYLES Computer Workstation 50841-635 and Storage Bookcase Hutch 50841-615 in the Licorice finish March 9, 08 at the Va. Bch. VA store for $1, 808.40 including sales tax. It was delivered by Executive Delivery Service April 1, 08 and we accepted delivery. After a few hours we noticed an oder coming from it (fumes from the finish). We tried to live with it for a few days, but the fumes were so bad I called them and complained about it. They sent another one to take it's place on June 5, 08, by Executive Delivery, it looked like it had been setting around their wharehouse getting beat up and wet, so we didn't accept it. I called them again, they offered to bring another one in a different finish and we said OK. Anyway they delivered the last one in a different finish September 22, 08 and like fools we accepted it. Since then the doors are warping, we noticed it has little dings in it in various places. We think that it was probably a floor model from one of their stores. My wife sent an e-mail of complaint to the factory and it was never answered. Our final comment: WE WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER ITEM OR GO INTO ONE OF THEIR STORES AGAIN.
    The Jones family
    Chesapeake, VA

• Un
      11th of Apr, 2009

My husband and I experienced a very similar situation with Thomasville. POOR customer service, they LIE to you about where your item is manufactured and they never get back to you when you leave them messages wondering why it has been 4 months and your item still has not been delivered. We spent just over $4000 to get a low quality item made in China, delivered 125 days after purchase and when it was delivered it was completely damaged so we had to refuse the delivery!!

What kind of service is that? THOMASVILLE'S! The worst furniture company in North America.

• 3k
      31st of Aug, 2011

We purchased a gorgeous bedroom suite at over $5, 000, Thomasville Fredericksburg style. We were led to believe it was all cherry, and it is made in China from some sort of wood. My nightstand top is so scratch from placing books on it it is unbelievable. We are very dismayed at this furniture, it attracts dust and scratches like no other. Buyer beware!