The Salvation Army USA / electronics

FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA, FL, United States Review updated:

I walked into your thrift store at 320 N. State Road 7 (441), Margate, FL 33063, they kept ignoring me until I stepped up to the register to assertively ask about donation pick-ups. I also asked if it mattered that I was on the 2nd floor and was told that it does not matter. The clerk handed me a Salvation Army card with the phone number to call and schedule pick-ups. The card says - THE SALVATION ARMY - WE NEED YOUR DONATIONS! YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT IS APPRECIATED - CALL [protected] FOR A FREE FAST PICK-UP OF YOUR USABLE, GENTLY USED DONATIONS OF: FURNITURE • HOUSEHOLD GOODS • ELECTRONICS • CLOTHING • APPLIANCES(LARGE & SMALL) • COLLECTOR ITEMS ~WE ALSO PICK UP CARS & BOATS... THANK YOU FOR HELPING US HELP OTHERS!

When I called on 06/10/2017 to schedule the pick-up Charlie took my call and was more interested in whether or not my DONATION was of any value for you to sell! He also said that you do not collect large items from any location above ground floor level unless there's an elevator - because of liability.

When your drivers arrived for the scheduled pick-up on 06/24/2017 they refused to collect my perfectly working television that could be DONATED (not sold!) - even though I explained that I'd arranged for someone to help me move it down the stairs for them.

I find this baffling because if I was an elderly donor in a townhouse and the large (working, usable, not damaged) item that I'm DONATING (not dumping) was on the 2nd floor, your "charity" ends at my front door.

When I called the toll-free number on your website [protected]) I was re-directed right back to square one. Charlie answered when I was transferred back to the local [protected], I asked for Chris or Troy - Troy got on the line and tried to read a script to me - then he have me a non-working number to call [protected]) after I asked for information about where I can lodge a complaint.

They (your representatives) were very "uncharitable" and clueless about how to direct anyone to this website source or the right number to call for proper directions. You leave donors hanging to figure out on their own what they're supposed to do with donations that you refuse to collect because you can't sell it!

The whole process was very upsetting and they kept telling me to calm down. Seems your reps are in the habit of tickling the balls of a bull to the point of frustration, expecting it to smile instead of kicking. I understand the ARC (rehab) process and thoroughly respect that effort. However, when you run it like this - where someone in need must PAY! it's more of a scam than a charity.

• Updated by raxonline, Jun 24, 2017

I asked for Chris or Troy (as instructed by the person who transferred me to "dispatch")

Ra
Jun 24, 2017

Comments

• Co
      Jun 24, 2017

The way they raise money is by selling items that are donated. If an item can't be sold they have no use for it. Older TV's have no retail value. No one wants them and the charity would have to pay dispose of it.