Telecheck / Unfair Business Practices

I had a check that was returned for NSF by a local merchant. I called the merchant the day after it didn't clear my account to try to clear up the matter (I had forgotten to transfer funds to the right checking account to cover it). I was told that I should wait and they would re-submit it. Almost a month later it still had not gone though. I called several times to try to get it straightened out. Then finally I got a call from their collection department saying that I needed to pay it at their store. When I called back to see if I needed to pay any additional fees, I was told that I couldn't pay it at the store - it was being handled by Telecheck and I needed to call them direct. I contacted them and asked if I could take care of it over the phone. I was told that I would be automatically withdrawn from my account without any problems. I told them that I was getting married and couldn't have any problems with the account because I would be using it alot over the next month. I was assured there would be NO problems. Not even a week later, I tried to present a check to Walmart, at it was declined. 2 days later, the check amount from the original merchant cleared my account. I called Telecheck about it and was told that it would take 7-10 business days before my account with them was updated after they pulled the funds from my account! So I waited the 2 weeks, called back. And guess what - it's still not updated, because they have to pull the $30 service charge yet. With all actualality they lock my account down for almost a month while they mess around taking their time "updating" their systems. I know the money is pulled via EFT because I talked to my bank. I want to know why it takes them so long. They can't even answer that question. Does anyone out there know why it would take 2 weeks for them to update their records?

Be

Comments

• Pn
      23rd of Nov, 2010

I had a very similar experience with Wal-Mart and Telecheck. Except that Wal-Mart did redeposit my check about 3 days later, it did clear, and I did receive some phantom $25 charge. During all of this, there is no notification, either by Wal-Mart or this stupid Telecheck that they would mysteriously debit the additional $25 charge for re-depositing. Of course, the re-deposit that immediately cleared my bank was not "updated in their records yet." So I asked the young foreign lady who recited to me that there was a fee but could not explain beyond the script, "so you are telling me that Telecheck basically just randomly debits whatever money they feel like from your account whenever they feel like it, and there is no accountability on the part of Telecheck for these inappropriate actions?"
    Her verbatim answer to me (which was recorded for "quality" purposes) was "yes sir, that is correct."
    I repeated, "there is no accountability in the Telecheck company for improper treatment of customers. They do whatever they feel like doing?"
    Her answer, "yes sir, that is correct. No accountability. We just take the money.
    It's nice to know that Wal-Mart does business with a company that has no problem telling their customers "that's correct sir. No accountability. We just take the money."