Technical Training / Cost-Lies about Product

1 Dallas, TX, United States Review updated:

I am a former Instructor of MyComputerCareer.com This company is a Certification Mill!

I believe that the PROPER QUALIFIED person WITH EXPERIENCE, can go through a program like this and succeed. I've watched them do it.

What they don't tell you is that out the 20+ persons who start a class, only 3-4 will usually get a job! I've lived it through many of MYCC classes - I've helped to teach. They will not even do you the honor of a graduation program. Your done - Good-by!

I worked with MYCC, I know the Owners "Tony and Richard Galati", "Bill Salada" .

Most of the staff are the Galati Family.

Like many companies they oversell, overcharge, and under deliver. They are focused on sales and not on giving every student the best possible product. They have few scruples and will sell to anyone they can whether qualified or not! They are into defending and justification not reality. They make 1.5 mill per year per training center and get commissions of apx $1000 per student per owner.

Although I know that some of the staff do their best to do what they can. They have sold themselves into believing what they sell. Overall they are working a lie. The marketing misrepresents the market and the job opportunities available and the requirements to qualify. The jobs go to those who have, or can represent some type of experience.

I have seen Kevin help a student take the pre-exam and then have the student get a invalid Grandmother pay for the student loan that the student had no ability to succeed with because of IQ.
-I've seen them miss-represent what they deliver again and again.
-They lie about the job opportunities.
-They lie to your face about the Cost Comparison or twist it so that they hold themselves up against the most expense colleges and universities - or programs.
-They will tell you that their instructors can deliver so much more than possible with ratios of so many students to 1.
-They then use "VERY close to exam" practice tests to assist in getting certified!
-The "Hands-On" is C***. You have NO TIME to get real. The further you get into the courses, the less time they give you for hands-on and the more all you do is memorize test questions..

I warn you that you will feel so overwhelmed, EXTORDED, and in the end, it will still be up to you to find the job, competing against those who have some experience for low pay work.

If the instructor likes you and you have any levels of skill - you may succeed passing exams(Memorizing the Test Questions) but unless you already have some IT background or IT aptitude this program is NOT for you. It comes at you way to fast. OTHERWISE "??" will call you a "Doorknob or a dumbbell" give you the brush off and good luck! It is such a tough world out there. Such a far different attitude then when they are trying to coax you out of your ca$h.

You have to be prepared to do nothing but study for months and then Gamble the $$$$ against a promise that you MAY get a job in this economy.

Sooner or later, they will have blood on their hands. I've seen students go Postal!!!
Hundreds of persons who would love to sue but MYCC has excelled in building a legal defense with cameras, policy you sign into contracts, and instructors that report about attendance, performance about keeping up your studies, participation and so-on. If you are off course of their next to impossible plan, then you have no legal recourse.

Do yourself a favor and go to the local community college for a IT degree, or use "competency based learning"(Google that) and check out this college for THOUSANDS less-For a better career & a better life with less dept without MyComputerCareer.com

I recommend that you go get a Microsoft Press IT book - read it to get the basis and then go online to get practice tests - study them until you pass at 90% and then pay for and go take the exams. Cost - Less than a $1000.00 for everything. That is exactly how Tony and every other IT person really succeeded. Regardless either way, YOU STILL have to do all of the hard work.

Please, If you have to work with a group use the community college (they are so much less expensive) and not such a $$$ and a stretch against what is LIFE !!!

Sincerely, your friend! You have now been warned!

Former Employee

Comments

15th of Nov, 2010

It is the same with Paralegal Certification courses in the sate of North Carolina. You pay huge fees to schools, take the NC BAR Certification Legal Exam and then find out that you can not get a job. The legal industry in NC also discriminates when it comes to hiring practices . If your a cute, blond female under 30 years old who has completed High School and maybe has had some college course or a college degree you will get hired. But if your a well groomed, educated White male over the age of 40 years old you can forget being hired by a law firm. . Lawyers and HR departments of law firms knowingly practice discrimination when it comes to age and sex issues when it comes time to hire for paralegal positions at a law firm.

• Br
      21st of Feb, 2011

As an executive at MyComputerCareer.com, I can only wish that this complainer had the courage to ID himself. The source is suspect because there are only two "former instructors" of MyComputerCareer, and neither lays claim to this post. Nor is it believable that either would behave in this manner. It is also filled with false statements--from the employment ratios to the commission allegations this guy isn't even close! And the idea that an instructor would have "seen" an Admissions Director make false or misleading statements is absurd inasmuch as instructors are not involved in the Admissions process--to say nothing of the fact that misrepresentation of any kind is strictly against our code of conduct. MyComputerCareer is careful to accurately represent the marketplace and create realistic expectations in students. These expectations are routinely fulfilled when students apply themselves and follow the program. Most importantly: About 70% of MyComputerCareer graduates currently are finding IT employment within just a few months of completing the program. And since Career Services support is a LIFETIME commitment, virtually every student who persists in his/her goals will eventually be successful. This is a standard that exceeds any community college or university you can name, and that MyComputerCareer must and will maintain to qualify for accreditation in the private career school space. In fact, other than the suggestion that MyComputerCareer is somehow dishonest or ineffective, the only false expectation raised in this complaint is the assertion by the author that you are more likely to successfully transition into IT from an unrelated field by studying a single Microsoft Press IT book for under $1, 000.

• Fr
      29th of Mar, 2011

MyCC Management only cares about making $$, they could care LESS about the students. No books just .pdf's cheap computers, cheap classroom tables and chairs. if you want something to drink you gotta pay for it. For 25k they should at least supply coffee! Admissions directors should sell cars!! All family owned but NONE have a successful background in IT - SCAM!!!

• Ju
      31st of Mar, 2011

Bruce,
    This is NOT true, you forgot me and at least 3 others plus the Sales, Career Services, and other staff you have worked through.
    I will assert it again that out of 20-25 students who start there are very few who finish, and fewer who get jobs. For the $ spent - you are better off purchasing your own Certification books, computer, exam prep, study group, and put yourself on a plan. Tons less cost, no Debt + High Interest! Check out the Online Training MYCC uses, "ElementK.Com" purchased low like $300-600/student - Re-SOLD as part of their Package for MegBuck$ Go check it out! Buy it yourself... Do it yourself. Either way - you still have to do the work. http://www.elementk.com/products/it-certification
    The Value that MYCC provides is to assist you in getting the SalieMae Loan, but you can do that though an accredited college such as: http://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/bachelor_degree_programs - You with then actually have a college degree that goes with the Certs...that Jobs require. Do your homework!!!

• My
      19th of Aug, 2012
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

Beware of this school! I recently graduated from this school and I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is in no way worth anywhere near the $20, 000 price tag! They literally just make you sit in class and do c****y labs (which rarely work) and don't actually teach much of anything. These labs can be downloaded online for free! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS SCHOOL! The instructors just sit in the front of the room on their computers and don't do much of anything! They fail to tell you that a few of the certifications you are supposed to obtain are to be done after you graduate and study at home. The study material they offer for the certifications are VERY POOR as 90% of the stuff is different from what is actually on the exam. The one positive is the career services director. Her name is Shareefah and she works very hard to get the students jobs. But keep in mind, we are talking about c****y help desk jobs making poor money but that's not her fault. She is in my opinion the only one that earns her money at that school. This place should be charging $5000, not 20k!!!

• Ki
      20th of Apr, 2013

I am considering attending the school. The recruiter is gooood. He had me believing that I could make 60k within the year. Maybe I should go to the community college and save 20k but the time to complete the degree will be several years. Still researching...

• Th
      28th of Apr, 2013

Been going there 3 months...had 2 job offers and i only have 3 certs. You get out what you put in. Will i be making 60k by the end of the year? I don't know. But what i can tell you is I see DAILY people in class on facebook and other websites not doing the labs, not studying and they don't show up for their flex hours. No, whats on the practice test are not whats on the exams. But when you watch the videos and do the practice test and actually TRY then you can figure out the exams. You may see a question on a cert test you have never head of, but they are multiple choice and if you have learned what 2 or 3 of the answers are you can make the right decision. I do think its overpriced. But on the other hand i could not get this many certs, or even if you say the certs are useless, i could not get this much information at a community college in this short amount of time. In 3 months i KNOW i have learned more than what someone at a local college has learned, it takes 3 months to get through 1 semester and if you have to work a 40hr week like i do to support a family there is NO WAY your getting through community college. I looked into it, yes it is a LOT CHEAPER but i would have only been able to attend 1 class a semester, that means to get all these certs it would have been 10 semesters. Assuming the classes at the local college are offered during the summer semesters, and most aren't your talking 2.5 years...and no certs. Are you going to walk out of here knowing everything you will ever need to know about IT... absolutely NOT but may i remind you even after a doctor does 8-12 years of college he or she still has to get a job at a training hospital and learn hands on called a resident i believe. So i guess it depends on what your expecting, i think people expect to come here, sit down, and be imbued with the knowledge..don't work that way bud. You gotta study your butt off and push yourself, if you do the minimum then you will likely get out the minimum. My first job after 3 months is salary, m-f, 8-5, health paid. Its about what i was making at my last job, but the difference is it took me almost a decade at my last job to get to this pay and now i am starting off at this pay...

• Ps
      8th of May, 2013

I think the complaints are valid as there is no screening process when trying to enter the school. If you can get the loan, you will be accepted. They will oversell, and unless you use all the resources available to you, they will ultimately under deliver. You can expect to make between 10 - 15 dollars an hour starting in your first job, but it is a vice of the industry not the school.

That being said, the objective of the school is to help people get jobs as quickly as possible so they can start gaining experience. The real value of the school is having instructors with real-world experience and life-long access to career services. As with all careers there is a career ladder and when you switch you will start at the bottom. The fact that this has to be explained indicates a problem with expectations. In reality you are competing against thousands of qualified applicants for entry into the computer field, and MyComputerCareer can greatly enhance your ability to be competitive in the looking for and getting a job.

So if you are considering MyComputerCareer please consider the following things, one, the program is designed to get you working quickly in a wide range of IT related fields (it is ultimately how much you know how to do that will determine which jobs you actually get). Two, after completing the course you are most likely not going to be earning 60K a year and your student loans are going to cost about $400 a month. Three, a majority of the students don't get all the certifications offered as you only have two months after graduation to take the certification tests for free. Four, you will need to continue studying into the future to move up the career ladder, and MyComputerCareer will be there to help you along the way.

I am still taking certifications test at the school as I just completed my Security+, and the career services is able to take my new skills and help me get my resume to potential employers. The instructors have helped me develop a career path for me once I graduated to give me guidance on how to proceed in the industry, and what I can honestly say is that I am about 5 to 6 years ahead of those who did it by themselves.

There are places which are cheaper and better (trainsignal(dot)com), but it ultimately depends on the person. I am glad that I chose MyComputerCareer, but I admit there are may that don't make it though the program. Be an objective skeptic when looking into this school.

• Un
      13th of Dec, 2013

I was also thinking of attending this school. I am educated with two undergraduate degree and licensed to sell both real estate and insurance in Texas - I'm no country bumpkin. The recuiters are cute and the placement director is a sharp tongued-devil. He will say what it takes to get you to sign on and spend the $20, 000. I asked for 3-8 student contact numbers so I could query them as to their experiences there at the school. At first the recruiter agreed but then started to hem-haw around and then totally backed out of her commitment to provide the student references. These guys are too slick for me. Where there is smoke there is fire. There is too much c*** on the web about these type schools and this one in particular. RUN WHILE YOU CAN and SAVE your hard earned money.

• Da
      28th of Jan, 2014

Watch this YouTube video about the school and Certs. It will clear up a lot for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH9Dx9rznoU

• Ab
      20th of Apr, 2014

I agree with the instructor 100%. I graduated a while ago and received some certifications. Some of the certificates are easy such as the MTAs but they don't help you all. I have seen students failing exams one after another. MTAs can be taken many time while CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, 70-640, 70-642, 70-646, and 70-680 can be taken twice. If students have to retake them, they will be charged again. I have seen that mycomputercareer.com accept a drunk person and then later kicked off the premises. Computers are not for everyone, but mycomputercareer.com tells every potential person walking through the door that they are so smart and that they can do it resulting in people without any certifications at all. THEY SEE YOU AS A WALKING DOLLAR SIGN. I do disagree with the instructor stating that mycomputercareer.com is a certification mill. In order, to be a certification mill, students will end up with the promised certifications which does not happen. I attended for 11 month and have not met any student passing the harder exams even the instructors fail their exams. IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY. Labs don't work, wireless doesn't works sometimes, books as downloaded as .pdf files. Remember, instructor who can't fix their your network, will be teaching you. Wonder if they have the permission to copy this books by the Author. DreamSparks is a Microsoft website that students have 2 years membership which provides software, free of charge but only for 2 years and colleges offer the same membership but up to 3 years. Students are directed to temporary agencies for jobs paying as little as $8.00 an hour. Before you sign the contract, read the terms. If you cancel the first week, you are subject to pay 25 % of the tuition, second week 50 %, third week 75% and fourth week, you are SOL. If you get FAFSA assistance, you have to complete at least 60 %, otherwise it needs to be paid back. With this all said, certification mills like mycomputercareer.com might be beneficial for professional seeking certification, but for an experienced person, it is a HOAX and waste of money. Another thing, before you sign, please look at the job description for Network Administrators and Server Administrators. Most of the job require knowledge of programming, HTML, web server experience, cisco experience and of course a Bachelor Degree and years of experience. Don't get blindfolded by the EMPTY PROMISES and HOPES for a better life. Otherwise, you will have a life with a piece of paper that is worth nothing and a high balance on your student loans. Better believe, that I regret my decision by signing up for the program and I am embarrassed to even mention mycomputercareer.com on my resume. Whatever Bruce said about his company is just to make things right. The career services is a JOKE. They did my resume with many mistakes and an insult to send to companies. An on-line course would have been much better and cheaper such as WWW.QUICKCERT.COM. Diane Cunnigham is a very nice person and they alos offer individual classes for a fraction of what mycomputercareer.com would cost you.

• Fo
      17th of Feb, 2015

I graduated from "MyCC". During the 8 months there, we were crammed with so much study material and so little time. Plus, the guidance and advice in how you should go about your career goals is completely absent. I worked my a** off in there. I have no experience in the IT world and I had no idea that it was impossible to get most of the certifications before you would have to start paying for the testing and on line studying source (approximately 11 months total). I am so discouraged and I feel like I have been robbed. I spent so much time studying the first certification (which is useless in the IT world unbeknownst to me) that by the time I got it, I was already a few weeks into the next class and so the snowball effect began instantly. It wasn't until I left and began looking for work that I realized my best bet was to pinpoint one particular area of certifications and obtain that set that will help you land a job. For instance, I obtained my A+, NET+, and MCSE. What I should have done is obtain maybe MCSE, Windows Server, and Active Directory so I could confidently handle an interview for a more tailored job. BUT, you don't know that while you are deep in the pressure of taking the exams. And yes, they pressure you at the end of each class (around 5 weeks each). They tell you you are behind and need to get the certs. or you will never catch up. They are right, but they never counsel you as I suggested. As for the material? It is all about learning the practice questions. You want to learn substance, you think you are learning substantive material, but once you go into the real world and take tests for jobs and phone interviews with technical questions, you eventually realize that it is not your fault, your not some kind of ### that didn't absorb anything, you have been rushed in and out so the next 20k can walk in the door.

Job placement? Where? I have sent numerous emails requesting job leads. If I don't contact Shareefah I don't hear from Shareefah. I made an appointment with her a few months after I had no luck on my own and she "penciled" me in on a day and time that worked for both of us. I arrived 20 minutes early, waited over an hour for her to finish another meeting with a student and when she came out she asked me if I was waiting for her. I reminded her that she told me she wrote the appointment down, she said she must have forgotten to put it in the appointment book and so I had to wait for her to finish with the other student she put in my slot! Over another hour goes by before I go in. I had my resume picked at and then as I was discussing my situation and concerns she was falling asleep right in front of me! Fast forward about another month and no such luck getting a job so I call her again to come in but she says I don't need to come in each time, we can just discuss it via email and she'll do what she can. The result of that is unless I email her she NEVER let's me know about jobs she comes across. And when she does respond she purposely drags her response out so that current students get a head start on a lead. For instance, I will email her in the morning asking about any other jobs and if she has been sharing my resume, I won't hear back from her until the afternoon right before she goes home and she barely gives me any information like: "such and such company is hiring right now, I will send you the link." WHY CAN'T YOU JUST SEND ME THE LINK IN THAT EMAIL AND WHY DID IT TAKE ALL DAY TO RESPOND! The next day I still won't hear from her so I ask for the link and she finally sends it in the afternoon and is disrespectful enough to simply forward me the email she sent current students two days prior. Or another example would be again I have to reach out to her, a whole day goes by and she asks me if I would like to meet up with so and so to discuss my job aspirations? I say of course but who is this person, where are they located, and what is their number and what is the job pertaining to so I can review material and hopefully look like I learned something? She never responded so I emailed her the next day and got an automated response saying she is on vacation for three days but will periodically check emails. I let her know how she left me in the dark again but she still doesn't respond until she comes back from her vacation and all she has for me is that she thought the person was going to contact me. She thinks I am stupid. I may be naive and trusting but I am not stupid!

It is a calculated scam! I feel like such a fool. I thought I was making a good, sound decision for a career path, especially in Raleigh, NC where there are supposedly so many opportunities in IT. So far, I have been turned down because of no experience, they want a BS degree from an accredited school, or many of the questions are more in depth than anything MYCC has ever even covered. The jobs she comes across are geared towards students currently in training so that the employers can low-ball their offers. I wouldn't be surprised if Shareefah gets a kick back. The instructors are like a revolving door and they don't care about you the further along you get in the course.

Here I am without a job, I have a family that needs me, and I am carrying certifications that I worked so hard for but apparently mean nothing on their own and/or coming from a certification mill like MYCC. If ever there was a chance for a class-action lawsuit I would run to sign my name up as a plaintiff. I don't want to hear that you get what you put into it because I gave it my all. Studying for hours and hours. There is no way you can possibly achieve everything they ask of you in 5 weeks (and that is while you are in that class learning about it) to study for a certification that normally takes 8-12 months and leave you with much of any substance. Just think about it. 2 certifications every 5 weeks and that is while you are in the class learning about it? How much do you think is going to stick and how can anyone expect prospective employers to pay you a respectable salary coming out of that environment-especially if you have no prior experience and/or a 4 year degree?

They know all this going in, they just prance around it so that when the slap in the face reality gives you afterwards is hopefully far enough away that you just give up. Email Shareefah, I'm sure she'll answer you eventually, partially...

Now what do I do? My family relies on me and they are getting rich.

• Fo
      18th of Feb, 2015

I totally agree. I graduated in 2014 and I am having a hard time getting a job because of no experience and I don't have a degree from an accredited 4 year college. The certs on their own do not get you that far. The jobs fulfillment is insulting. I have to beg to get a response and when I do Shareefah purposely drags her feet in giving me information on a lead so that students currently in school can get the job at a very low rate. Is there some kind of kick-back? I don't know but I do know she doesn't even hide her tactics well. As for the instructors, I had one that I thought was worth his salt in knowledge AND concern for the students. They are like a revolving door in their though and he is gone like two other instructors I saw disappear while I was there. They over sell and under deliver on EVERYTHING. I can only hope there is a class-action lawsuit eventually. I feel duped and scammed.

• Cs
      15th of May, 2015

I fully agree with it all they prom is jobs and labs during class and this and that I joins the school because the instructor was mice during the interview and so was the rest of the staff they all promised the same stuff tones of labs and hands on material.. I got in on the part time class and I tell you want its not part time at all my class schedual was ahead of the full time class wr never did a single lab it was always just sit there wile the instructor would go over a power point presentation then watch cram master then do all the home work by the end of 801 not a single person was ready to take the test and we already started into 802 and was the same when we started networking not a single soul in my class had 802 when we started it. I study like a mofo for the 801 cert when I finally got all the stuff done needed to take it and failed it cause just about everything we cover in class and on cram master wasn't even on the damn exam. So I got mad 😠 time them I want to withdraw from the program that i thought it was a joke and wasn't getting anywerr with it and they told me that it would 8, 700 to with draw from the prob I asked how the hell is it so much they told me its because of the registration fees instructors fees and all the time spent hello I was only there just barly three months seems a lil fd up to me being that much only there such a short amount of time

16th of May, 2015

The complaints are all legitimate. I went there and I can say they are telling you the truth. The instructor, Bob, spent most of his time going out and smoking cigarettes and talking to a former student who was his friend and he got hired to help but they just talked all the time. The hands on was a joke and you cannot learn Cisco from 3 weeks instruction for 4 hours a week to get a CCNA. I recently took the test they want you to take and intentionally missed all the questions. This is the response I got on an email:
    Thank you for visiting MyComputerCareer.com and taking the Free Career Evaluation. Your scores on the evaluation were excellent!

I'd love to speak with you to give you your scores and congratulate you personally. Unfortunately, I have been unable to reach you.

Would you kindly call me at (614) 569-4326 or reply to this email with the best phone number to reach you and a good time of day to call? I'd love to visit with you briefly about your evaluation scores and to see how we can assist you in achieving your career goals.

Does that sound like someone trying to make money or what? I failed 100% but she said I did excellent.

16th of May, 2015

They have people that just comb the web to counterattack what the truth is. If they were so confident then they shouldn't have to do that? They pay the people to be in the commercials. I know one of the people.

16th of May, 2015

It is mostly a family business. Galati's. Two brothers and a sister and another guy that own the business.

16th of May, 2015

They will say something like you never complained before or it seems like you didn't attend class all the time and they keep records and hire good lawyers to protect themselves. Don't go there.

22nd of May, 2018

@KempC https://www.facebook.com/JenMarieNichols?fref=search

They have a full time worker who tries to dispute the truth.

• Tx
      13th of Jul, 2015

ive some of the above posters have talked about first hand. I go in and talk to admissions and she tells me about the program then I tell her I have a few certifications already. she tells me my mcp certification is out of date since I took it when xp was out. I tell her I have a+ and network + she makes a phone call and person on other end tells her and then tells me I would have to "test out" of those two courses to get any kind of discount on the package she was offering me. so in short the school is all about profit and don't give a crap about the students. mycomputercareer bought techskills where I got my certifications to begin with.

• Mo
      29th of Jul, 2015

It's too bad about all the negative posts here. I think the common misconception is people think that going to school and getting a high paying job will be easy as walking in the door. Going to school, any school, not just this one, requires hard work and commitment. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

Yes, I am currently a student here, and i'd say about 25% of my classmates walk in and fee entitled to the highest paying job out there before putting in any of the work. The truth is, if you have a bad attitude about school, chances are good that you will have that same bad attitude when you get a job. Always feeling like you deserve more, without doing any of the work to earn it, and then blame everyone else for holding you back. I'm guessing the bad posts here are former students with similar attitudes.

Yes, they will let anyone come in who can pay. Why wouldn't they? It's there job to lead you to water, it's your job to drink it. If you feel you can obtain success by picking up a book then taking the test, good luck to you sir. You are clearly better than 90% of the U.S. population and shouldn't be wasting your time spitting sour grapes on this website.

I can safely say that I was not mislead in anyway. But I went in with an open mind and asked questions about things that were important to me. If you are happy in your dead end job for low pay (the reason you looked into this school anyway), then enjoy yourself. The world need ditch diggers...