TD Bank / misinformation, rudeness, lack of customer service

TD Bank
New York
Phone: 888 751-9000
Thanks to TD Bank's inaccurate information and horrendous customer service through both their call center and e-mail center, I lost a substantial amount of money and had both a vacation and work trip ruined.

I travel often and was recently in Mexico when my TD Bank credit/debit card was taken, leaving me almost totally without funds and stranded in a small town.

I found out that the "toll-free" number provided was not "toll-free" at all (and later discovered, via an e-mail exchange, that TD Bank was aware of this). So, using my last cash, I placed a phone call to report the card gone. Darren, in the Mount Laurel, NJ call center, was extremely rude, told me I was wrong when I told him it was not a toll-free call. I asked to speak to his supervisor. "Jessica" was even worse and told me that there was no other number, nothing she could do, that she couldn't look up my local branch, and that they couldn't transfer money, wire money, or issue a new card in less than 5 to 7 business days. (Most of which was substantially untrue.)
She then reprimanded me for not having someone "just go to Western Union and wire some money."

I tried for two days to reach my local branch (who could have issued a new card immediately). But the line was busy during four tries on Saturday and four tries on Sunday.

Those same days I e-mailed the customer service people on the web site. (And of course, had to wait 24 hours for a reply.) I received an inane reply from a woman named Susan Catanzarite saying that she was "sorry" and telling me that the matter had been forwarded for review. She suggested I call the toll-free number!

Not only that, but when I finally made it home--a story in itself--I found that there were no notes on my account and none of the information had been forwarded.

Since I had no other access to funds (and since the Visa emergency services don't apply to a TD Bank Visa credit/debit card) my trip was ruined. I spent a small fortune in bank fees and phone charges and TD Bank's phone and e-mail service did nothing to respond.

D  21st of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
It appears that you were a victim (I'm using the word "victim" generously) of theft, and expected TD Bank to resolve your woes immediately, without long hold-times, and to your exact expectations.

Now to reference the real-world: You're in f*cking Mexico, apparently without cash, and you want an American-based Bank to somehow wield it's *poof magic, and put a Visa debit card in your little vacationing hands.

Guess what? You f*cked up, and your damn right you'll have to wait before another card can be sent to you. Nevermind the fact that ALL other banks *do not* issue Debit Cards immediately, and the standard turnaround is 7-10 business days.

The fact that you also found the time to b*tch about whether or not the number is toll-free is further proof of your lack of credibility.

Be careful when traveling outside of the U.S. in the presence of strangers - things can get stolen.

P.S. I had to tell you that because apparently you weren't aware.
N  5th of May, 2009 by
Hey Employee of TD Bank,

It is YOUR job to inform the customer of the correct policies and procedures. Perhaps you know what your doing, but you cannot speak for your company as a whole. The fact that the bank could not help or respond in this particular situation any way, shape, or form is an example of the kind of people they hire... People like you that flat out don't care and won't put in the extra effort to help someone out that is down on their luck.

What if it were YOU that were stranded in Mexico? And considering you work for the company, if you had called and had gone through the same process as this customer did, you would be infuriated I'm sure. Just face the facts that you work for a terrible company with a reputation that is going down the tubes. If I were you, I'd take a look at a new line of work.
N  13th of May, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
It's always best to have a credit or charge card on you when you travel to another country. Debit cards are of limited value. Also, some emergency contingency plans would be important - relatives or close friends you can contact in the event of an emergency as opposed to strangers who have no vested interest in your well-being.
D  13th of May, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

Grow up and take responsibility for your actions. EVERY other bank would have informed you that receiving a new Visa debit card would take a substantial amount time. It's amazing to us how so many customers of banks expect this personal catoring when they find themselves in bind.

I understand it sucks to be stranded in Mexico but check your New Account Disclosure, all your complaints are clearly addressed. Perhaps its our fault you didn't read it, just like its our fault that Mexicos crime-rate is high and we don't come to your rescue in less than 5-7 business days.

Things take time, no matter how grave the situation. You remind me a child throwing a tempe tantrum because he didn't get what he wanted, but doesn't accept that its not something we're in the position to give.

Also, its odd that in the midsts of an emergency you saw fit to only call the bank 4 times.

The moral of this story is that TD Bank didn't steal your card, a Mexican citizen did. We are just the nice guys that issued you a card and hoped you'd use it. When problems occur, give us the time to rectify it any way we can, but don't expect us to be the solution to your problems. (Because we aren't the cause)

P.S. I don't need to look for another job, and I'm above customer service. You have no solid complaint here.
D  14th of May, 2009 by
You're so dumb. I work at the call center. No employees would ever do that.

And yes sir, I'm sick of customers thinking we can just pull a card out of our ### and send it to some
address we don't even have on file. Ever hear of identity theft?
N  14th of May, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
It's this cocky, self-righteous attitude that makes you and your bank look bad. If you are representative of a higher position there, then that doesn't surprise me in the least, since they specialize in hiring these types. Needless to say, I've moved on to a better, more caring and responsible bank and haven't had any problems since. And a lot of my friends have moved on or are planning on moving away from TD as well for this very reason. It honestly doesn't take much extra effort to show a little compassion and care, even if you can't do anything about the situation. My experience with TD is that employees are just flat out rude.
D  14th of May, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
My experience is that people call and be rude to the representatives and just yell at them. They have no respect for the work they do perform every day. Customers think the world should just revolve around them. I have worked for commerce/td for over fours year now, and it is a wonderful company. The employees will be nice as long as the customers stop acting rude and jump down the representatives throat for something they did not even do. The hire-ups do enough monotorings of the calls, if a representative is rude, they are fired immediately.

I dare people to take on this job, it is not easy and many cannot handle it. Why? Because of the rude customers. I laugh when customers say "I'm just going to close my account then". We have 70 million customers, you closing your acting isn't going to do ###. We open hudreds of accoutns per week and we still get our paychecks at the end of the week. So nice attempt to threaten us. I'm sure your "better, more caring and responsible bank" will piss you off too.
N  23rd of May, 2009 by
I agree with employee of TD Bank, I once had a disagreement over something and they said check my New account opening agreement which I had signed. To which I still had and did, and it was all there, that was 13 years ago. Amazing how the ability to read helps. (I'm still learning how to write, its my disclaimer for typo's) So here's the thing, TD is loyal to me and I am loyal to it, it is like respect you have to give it to earn it and the same goes to and with the banks.

I don't agree with the attitude some employees have, sometimes something happens in someone's life that causes them to have abnormally, you are trained to be professionals and accept the responsibility that comes with Customer Service, it doesn't mean that the customer is always right, it means even if they are rude it does not give you the right to be rude as well. Its an opportunity to be able to help them, even if they are unable to help themselves. If you don't have understanding or some form of it, then you shouldn't be in the industry to begin with.
N  11th of Jul, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Hey guys,

I have news... other U.S. banks DO have contingency plans... that's why I was so upset. I have to travel all the time. Stuff gets lost, stuff gets stolen but when I report it, the other banks don't scream at the customer.

And maybe the TD Banker is unaware, but yes, they can wire you money. I've had it done from Chase. And guess what, nobody yelled. Nobody reprimanded me. Nobody screamed.

They tried to be helpful. Worth a try for you guys.
N  11th of Jul, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
And hey, if you think the 888 call center number works from Mexico, why don't you go there and try it?
N  22nd of Aug, 2009 by
your an idiot
N  22nd of Aug, 2009 by
D  26th of Aug, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I used to work at the call center and I don't think people understand that reps take 100-150 calls every single day. It is an extrememely stressful job. Of course, any job where there is contact with the general public is going to involve a lot of frustration, but this particular job is the only one I've ever had where it is pretty much guaranteed that you will be getting yelled at most of the day by customers who are unfortunately, the ones who can't figure out how to use the phone or online banking, so we are talking about the bottom of the barrel here. That's not to say that the customers who do have two brain cells to rub together never have a need to call in to the call center. I am just speaking in generalities .

Anyway, first of all, if you look on the back of your card you will see that there is a specific number listed to use to call COLLECT from outside of the U.S. I know this works because BEFORE I worked for TD I used that number several times to call and get transferred to the automated system to get information about my account when I was traveling back and forth to Costa Rica. The 888 number does not work as a toll free option outside of the United States. Are we all clear on that now? Ok, good.

Now, to the issue of expecting to be wired money to an international bank with phone authorization only, and the other points you mentioned that according to you are not an issue for other banks. I honestly do not know what the policies and procedures are of each particular banking institution, but I do know that there are rampant fraud issues in the banking industry and account security holds priority over everything else. The bank has no choice but to take precautions in ensuring the security of it's customer's account information. If, by some chance someone were to convince a TD Bank rep that they were you calling from Mexico and they needed all your money wired to ___ Bank in Mexico city and the bank went along with this, then what? You would screaming up and down about that even more I'm sure.

From what you wrote, I ascertained that you travel frequently for some sort of business reasons, which leads me to believe that you are some sort of professional whom one would assume has some common sense in order to achieve that career level. So then explain to me how such an intelligent person would travel to another country with only their debit card as their primary source of money with no back-up contingency plan whatsoever? And if you were inclined to do that, would it not occur to you to get the information about your banks policies on this type of situation beforehand? Had it never crossed your mind that your wallet could possibly get stolen on a trip to Mexico? Or anywhere else, for that matter.

The bottom line is that people need to start taking responsibility for their own lives and stop expecting to be bailed out whenever they need it due to poor planning on their part
N  1st of Oct, 2009 by
Td bank canceled my account because of poor attitute towards their employees. I am an owner of a small day care center and I am fed up.Each branch operates under different rules. I deposited money on a Friday at 5:27 pm and it wasn't available till Monday? What Happened to next day availability. It seems my teller was already on Monday's date. Anyway I called the 800 number and they made my money available and said if I was charged a non collected fee it would reversed... GOOD LUCK I spoke with my home office, a representative and also the manager that said I would be reimbursed. Never happened. I called numerous times and now they say I am threatening them and harrasing them. Any body knows me that I am not that type of person, All I want is my fee reversed.
A  8th of Dec, 2009 by
TD Bank has developed a system to legally steal your money. That is correct, right in front of their customers eyes, they have developed a system to legally embezzle hundreds of millions of dollars from their customers bank accounts. Congress is hard at work to pass a bill to stop this activity, but as all things work in congress, it will not be passed until August 1, 2010. TD knows this, but will continue to steal money right up until that very minute. Yup, the American dream has left the country folks, thanks to a bunch of greedy corporate scandals that are more than willing to surrender their title of CEO and step down in disgrace as long as they retire in style with a couple hundred million of the common man's money. If their is a loophole in the legal system and they can steal your money, they will. What ethics??? Integrity, what does that mean. Oh, I graduated from Yale. Screw you Mr. CEO. God bless America, we need it desperately.
A  8th of Dec, 2009 by
I understand that it is a stressful job being a customer service rep. I used to be one myself at TD Bank. But some of the practices and policies of TD bank are extremely unprofessional. Vagueness about when funds will be available in your account, lack of knowledge of tellers and misinformation, and the fees associated with this is purposely built into TD's system to milk every last dollar out of you.

And the attitude of "I laugh when people tell me they're going to close their account because there are millions of people with accounts through TD" is exactly why the bank is destined to fail. One pissed off customer is enough to snowball off to hundreds. This is probably due to the rapid expansion of the bank. I remember about 8 or so years ago when the bank knew me by name and really honestly cared about each customer. I NEVER had any problems with TD until just before the merger.
A  8th of Dec, 2009 by
BTW, I worked there in 2001-2002 when it was still Commerce.
A  15th of Dec, 2009 by
If it was their friend or relative in Mexico, the TD Bank employees would have had compassion and tried to help. But since its someone they could care less about... and since they were already having a bad day... and since they don't appreciate the fact that this customer is the SOURCE that puts food on their table and clothes on their back...

I mean come on TD Bank employee! (I used to work there for years, and i HAD COMPASSION!)

Are we still human? Do we still have hearts? Or are we all so miserable that we are ready to kick everyone in the guy that falls down on the ground? ("Kick 'em while they are down"?)

KARMA people... Karma... what goes around comes around... just wait ;)
A  30th of Dec, 2009 by
I was with Commerce for over 15 years.

Since the merger and the intermittent problems, let me inject some additional thought.
TD...the T stands for Toronto...While waiting in line in the lobby, I saw that slogan "TD Bank - America's most convenient bank" (or something of that nature) and got irked by the fact that TD has gone out of their way to avoid mentioning that they are NOT an American entity.

I have chosen to depart TD altogether.
Vote with your money and spending choices...banks, employers, consumer choices like autos...that is how real change happens.
A  16th of Feb, 2010 by
TD Bank is garbage, they have no appreciation for their customers.

My Story is way to long to even get into. But i'll mention that TD Bank closed my account (causing many direct debit problems for me) accusing me of online gaming, telling me that placing a wager or bet on a horse online is illegal, and violates the UIGEA and Wire Act of 1961, which if they were govt officials, or actually knew anything about laws or cared to know, would know the UIGEA isnt an actual law yet, and still doesnt pertain to horse racing.

So they acted as a court, or police officer, and accused me of breaking a law that really isnt even a law. And therefore closed my account which i feel is a violation of my rights.

I fully plan of filing a lawsuit for the troubles they have caused me.

::irate ex-customer