TCF Bank / NSF charges After TCF tok money out

TCF Bank
Tcf Bank just pulled a pretty awful maneuver on me. They took all the money out of my checking account ($187) to cover a business account of my father which was overdrawn and apparently has my name on it (even though I never signed anything or knew about it) and then charged me $105 dollars worth of fees to cover about $25 dollars in purchases that I made while I still thought I had money in my account and transferred in $150 to replace the money they had taken away.

I called customer service and spoke to two different people, where it was explained that even thought i still had money in my account their new policy after april 1st. was to withhold money for charges that had not gone through yet as though the funds were not available. They then offered to take half the amount off the fees.

So they took money from my account without notifying me, then charged me $105 for $25 dollars in NSF charges even though there was about $40 in my account. They then reduce the charges by half to $50 and act as though they're doing me a favor?

I am tired of all the hassle that has come with my TCF bank account. I always feel like money is being extorted from me when they charge $35 so that I could have the luxury of over drafting my account for a cup of coffee but swiping all the money from my account and then charging for NSF charges?

I am going to close my account this weekend, and i advise you never to open one. Get a respectable small bank, and save yourself some grief and some money.

A  29th of Apr, 2009 by
oh yes! How do you like their new policy about pending transactions applied as if they were posted transactions? I had a nasty surprise this morning too. When I called today (04.29.2009) about NSF fees I was told about the new policy. When I asked why they did not notify me, they said they did- in february statement. I said that I did not receive statement for April, or, to think of it, for March or February. Representative told me that was because I signed up for electronic statements. I said I do not receive any statements in e-mail either and she answered that they are only available online under menu option "Statements". WOW! Of course, now that I think about it, I should have caught the fact that I stopped receiving the statements in mail, but we all lead busy lifes and have more than few accounts to take care off...
N  8th of Oct, 2009 by
I work for TCF. I understand the new policy sucks but its logical. If you keep a checkbook register youd be fine. Some people try to swipe their card and put the money in later. Only use the card if you have money! lol come on!
N  9th of Oct, 2009 by
In a perfect world nobody would, frieri423. But then again in a perfect world a bank would not charge for the money they have not paid out yet either. Why don't they treat the deposits the same way then? Why do they resort to such tactics as not notifying their customers about the change in rules?
To folow up on my initial post. I have compained to bank overseeing agency, TCF refunded 5 NSF fees to my acount. I since stoped banking with TCF and switched to a small local bank that actually cares about its customers. I have not had any NSF or any other fees since then.
It is useless to talk to you, frieri423, I am sure. You are getting paid with the money that is collected in such a manner from the customers... It is not good business to have people do research and figure out what is the best way to screw your clients. I am sure the bank will go down sooner or later, and I hope it is sooner.
Have a nice day.
N  9th of Oct, 2009 by
Maggie, my father has nothing to do with this. I just responded to derhutgeist's post with my own TCF story.
N  29th of Apr, 2010 by
I have a TCF bank account I just opened recently, and I have had no issues with them in the past either. I banked with TCF for about 5 years with a joint account with an ex, and when that dissolved, I closed the account. I opened a new savings due to the awesome 3% interest that they give. In all my years with TCF, I never ONCE had a problem.

From the way I look at it, TCF has thier policy on NSF issues, and they followed them, and were nice enough to reduce it by 50%. Your MAJOR issue here is with your father putting YOUR name on an account. Simple solution would be to have your dad pay you back for all of the NSF fees, and the original amount.

I don't understand the issue with people being lazy and doing their bank ledger 'in their head'. If you keep a bank ledger, and are smart with your transactions (I.E. - not FLOATING checking, and such), you won't have an issue. I know that my ex used to do the 'in the head' method, and she was ALWAY overdrawing her personal checking with TCF, because she was/is an idiot...
N  11th of Oct, 2010 by
A bank ledger will not garrantee you to have a positive balance. I keep a electronic ledger in quicken and I checked their website. I had a conversation with the TCF idiot over the phone telling him his TCF online ledger is worthless because it is not up to date at the moment the purchase is made. He told me if I had a book ledger on my own this wouldnt happen. Well when TCF charges surprise maintenance fees without you knowing, what difference will that have. I think I will close this worthless account and go to Harris Bank. Their online ledger is updated the second the purchase is made. No surprises. Maybe the TCF programming idiots will learn from other successful banks.

TCF Bank Logo TCF Bank