Tata Sky / duping people

I got Tata Sky about a year ago. At the time of installing tata sky the set top box cost me Rs. 4, 000. It was providing all channels at Rs. 300 per month which was almost the same rate that my cable guy was giving me. I was so happy because the picture and sound quality was very good and there were no issues of broadcast being interrupted because of faulty cable lines, or no electricity at the cable guy's place or any such issues. Even when I did not had electricity at my home Tata Sky showed me all the channels. I was very happy as it was a welcome relief from the cable people's monopoly.

But after some time Tata sky out of nowhere stopped showing certain channels. At first there were just a few channels that I did not even watched so I was not concerned. But then slowly it started removing all almost all the channels even those channels that I liked. I felt cheated. They had promised me that I will be getting all the channels but I am not. Everyone must have been aware of the ESPN-Star and Tata sky feud as well (Tata sky had stopped telecasting ESPN-Star just before Asia cup even though ESPN-Star had not raised their rates). ESPN-Star came out with a huge ad in all leading newspapers that they have not raised their rates and Tata sky is asking people to pay for it. But at that time Tata sky gave in and started telecasting the channels. But now just before the India Sri Lanka series they have stopped the telecast of Ten Sports and are asking money from us to show that channel to us.

It is a matter of helplessness for me because as I have paid 4, 000 Rs. for its set top box, I cant get rid of it. I have to bear it. Its a clear cut case of duping people. They are not showing the new channel Colors either. They stop the telecast of sports channel just before a major series and of other channels as and when they like. Although the cable guy in my area is showing all these channels. I am seriously thinking about switching back to cable.

It is my request as well as recommendation to all people who are thinking of getting Tata Sky installed. PLEASE DON'T. No one should get Tata Sky installed.

Comments

• Sh
      3rd of Oct, 2008

Dear Mr. Jain:

My suggestion to you and all others suffering this fraudulent behavior is to complain about it on the government's online consumer forum. The website is http://core.nic.in and it takes just a few minutes to register a complaint. (Note that on that page's ticker, Tata Sky is the #1 of "brands not friendly and not caring for customers"!)

FYI, the text of my own recent complaint was as follows.

Title : Unfair business practice

Complaint ID : 6464

Complaint Details : Tata Sky has the practice of constantly removing
    television channels from the general package, and adding them to special
    packages that a subscriber such as myself has to get separately for
    additional charge. Thus, when I chose to avail of Tata Sky's services,
    most sports channels including Ten Sports were available in the general
    package, but gradually they have all been removed and added to a special
    "sports pack" that I must subscribe to in order to watch sports.
    Similarly, entertainment channels such as BBC Entertainment have been
    removed, as have news channels such as NewsX.

Consequences : The reduction in the scope of services provided is
    unwarranted, and has the effect of being a not-too-subtle way to jack up
    the price a consumer such as myself has to pay. I simply cannot get the
    service I used to for the price I used to pay, so now am required to pay
    more. This is, I believe, an unfair business practice and a violation of
    the terms of agreement.