Sunset Resorts / Perpetual deed is a rip-off!

I also have experienced dealing with Resorts International Marketing. After upgrading our membership for the 3rd time to a 2 bedroom suite/Master suite with a perpetual deed at the Royal Sunset, I was talked into paying the the $549 so they could rent out 3 out of our 4 weeks. This started in May 2005. I had contacted them and even had them drop the price from their advertised price of $2399/week to $1999/week.......I even tried to go lower but they wouldn't let that happen??? Needless to say, they have never rented a week for us.

I am really curious about this perpetual deed. I am afraid I would never get near the money that I have put into it. I originally purchased the studio for about $6500 in 1996. By 2001, I had the 2 bedroom suite and $14000 invested....but this was to expire in 2020. So the Royal Sunset said in order not to lose my privileges in 2020, they were offering a perpetual deed...(for life) which could be passed on to children.. I now have $50,000 invested and would just like to know if there is anybody that had purchased this perpetual deed or knows anything else about how the Sunset Group handles this. I can tell you in the contract, the Sunset Group reserves the right to buy your deed back. So, my wife e-mailed them and they said they do not buy them back anymore, we are free to sell to whomever. If anybody is in the same boat or has info please respond.

More Sunset Resorts Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Va
  29th of Jan, 2007

Spent over 7 hours at a timeshare presentation and finally succumbed to the one of the various offers for one week every other year requiring all inclusive. I left a deposit of $749 on my credit card and signed a contract for the balance of $15000. As soon as I returned to the US I sent a certified letter to them cancelling this contract and a copy of the letter to Profeco specifying the cancellation. It was done and received within the correct time period. I wanted my money credited to my card and the contract cancelled. I also signed away interest in another timeshare and requested that be reinstated. These were mailed on January 3, 2007. I have not heard any response from the resort. There are several complaints on the internet regarding this resort. DO NOT FALL for the scam.

Wi
  24th of Apr, 2008

It has been 4 months now and I'm getting emails from the SUNSET GROUP that we have not paid our monthly payments since January, yet our Master Card statement shows withdraws of $800 each month. My wife is sike to her stomach about this whole thing but what can we do? I would like to cancel the deal with Sunset after reading all the complaints on the internet. We haven't tried booking our vacation yet and I'm begining to wonder if it will even happen OR if it will be SAFE for me to take my children to our timeshare at Fishermans Village. I was given strong tequilla at the time and we were stuck there for over 5 hours. I really think we were scammed but what can we do now? We need help to fight this. I am worried that if I start a process of dispute that it will get real nasty and we will never be able to use the time share if we can't cancel. They already have $25, 000 of ours. What do we do???

I will read this post again to see if any help is available. Only then will I provide my email.

Ka
  1st of Jul, 2009

Lynda and Witheld-have you tried calling member services? I have been to their resort and really liked it so i bought one week. I have called member services several times. They have been very helpful. The number i call is 800 961 5089. Good luck, i'm sure they will work with you, you are their customer after all.

Ti
  7th of Apr, 2010

The tmeshare industry in Mexico is taking almost a Billion Dollars every year from Americans and Candians. They are taking away their earnest money based on lies and misrepresentation. I have collected evidence to support the claims of thousands of people deceived from this company. Share this info with your general attorney, the Federal Trade Commsision, the Consulate of Canada and USA in Cancún as well as any government agency that you believe might be interested in putting pressure in the Mexican Government to stop these companies from scamming more honest people.

Please visit this website (specially the video section) to know in detail how these companies operate.

Td
  22nd of Nov, 2011

Oh Lord, I am scared to death! My husband and I just returned today from Cancun, Royal Sunset. We went on the sales tour and spent 6 hours debating the pros and cons. Everytime we stated a con or a "what if", they had the perfect answer...in theory. At the very 1st sign that my husband was about to cave in, they jumped on it. They had our ID's from an earlier question the mgr was "trying to answer for us" regarding a "lifetime" deal. They also had my credit card bc they have to "verify" that you have brought it, just in case you purchase the non-obligated product. Anyway, they came back with a bunch of papers for us to start signing. The very 1st page stated something about "every 5th year, an extra maintenance fee will be charged to help cover renovations". My husband quickly jumped on that & became really upset. I was in tears. I said, can't we just get our stuff back. My husband told them that we wanted our ID's back & the credit card information because they had not told us all of the details, and we were not ok with being deceived. In a blur of me being upset & crying, my husband being mad & wanting us to leave, there were 3 different salesmen trying to find a solution to please my husband, Im not sure how we ended up just going ahead and signing the initial papers. We wanted to leave, but they had our stuff & we sure wasn't going to leave without our ID's & credit information! Anyway, a 4th person came out, a lady, who already had a contract written up & completed. I think while we were waiting on the mgr to "ask the developer about making this 25 yr term a lifetime deal", he had this woman writting up the contract before we ever even said we were on board. I feel like we were both beat into submission to sign this stupid deal with this vacation club. No matter what I said or asked about realistic scenario, they offered up a hypothetical unrealistic answer that sounded good. Anyway, this contract was signed Nov 18, 2011. We just got home today, Nov 21, 2011. I am mailing 2 certified letters to this company stating that we want to terminate the contract within our 5 day period that is stipulated in the contract. I plan on paying however much I have to pay to get these letters delivered ASAP. I am doing what the contract tells me to do as far as terminating the contract, and if they don't cooperate, our credit cards will be blocked and I will try to find an attorney who might be able and willing to deal with these people in Mexico. I might have to fight, but I am going to fight as hard as I can to keep them from taking anymore money from us. We work hard for what we have & I will not let some pushy and overpowering, manipulative lying salesmen take away my hard earned money. I am terrified that I am going to lose & have to pay this $15, 000. I hope it doesnt get bad enough that I file bankruptcy just to keep them away from my assets!

So
  2nd of Jul, 2013

I'm sorry about that, The Sunset Group, along with Mayan Palace and the Royal Elite timeshare resorts are particularly known for using misleading and fraudulent timeshare sales tactics. Therefore, next time, before you purchase (if you ever do) you need to think carefully how you will use it in your life, and if you have the money to spend; take your time and don´t make any commitments on your first visit. Also, don’t forget to do an internet search on the company, and if the company is legit they will let you come back another day if you wish to make de purchase. This is a forum with more complaints made on these companies:

Td
  2nd of Jul, 2013

We were not naïve to timeshares during out visit to Cancun. We were however, unfamiliar with Sunset. We were also unfamiliar with timeshares in another country. Thankfully, with the help of Profeco (who actually went to a hearing on our behalf against Sunset), we were able to have this contract voided. There were several months of fighting on our part, but we are so glad it is over now. We would never have signed the contract if they did not have possession of our ID's & credit card. In hindsight, I really felt like we were technically held captive until we gave in...I don't know how much of a scene we would have had to have caused to get our stuff back without putting our name on the dotted line. It was truly a learning experience...especially in dealing with international affairs. No offense to anyone from Mexico, we love the country & will vacation there again, but I will never hand my personal effects to anyone again...fo ANY reason

Ja
  27th of Dec, 2013

I know how you feel, and it seems like this is a common problen in Mexico. I purchased a travel program through Sandos Playacar at Royal Elite Timeshare Resort in Playa del Carmen last March and I requested to cancel within the 5 day grace period but they still have not refunded my down payment of over $9000 US dollars. I have been in touch with people there and they say they are working the process but it takes time. It has now been almost 5 months and I am losing faith they will ever pay me back. This is another forum with more complaints about this company:

I believe we should do something about it, as I understand Mexican regulations forbid the offering of gifts, free vacation certificates or any other promotion strategies without informing the consumer the specific purpose of the offer. I want to complaint with PROFECO about this, and get my money back