Strayer University Online / fake university

United States Review updated:
2.25

Strayer keeps part of your refund check, professors are not accredited, they put spy ware on your computer to track where you been and what you do. I asked my professor where she earned her teaching degree. She claimed that she could not give out that information, I asked my other professors and they told me, one even said that "some are in training" there. Classes with "fake" students.
Va

Comments

Ve
  6th of Feb, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I don't think the the school is fake, its a pretty good school, they are very professional. I haven't came across anyone that wouldn't take time to assist me in general question that I may have. Matter of fact, on the news they reported the building of another Strayer University campus in Raleigh, N.C. so it can't be all that bad.
Am
  9th of Apr, 2008
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
Strayer University is a good school. It's not a tradtiotnal school in the sense of greeks, cafeterias and dorms. But it offers all the essential's you need to graduate . My Professors also taught at other Ivy League schools, while teaching at Strayer. So your getting an Ivy League education for a discount. They offer book vouchers for your classes. The Financial Aid and other business matters are always held efficiently because of the low student-ratio and that gets you personal attention always. As a student that has just completed her winter quater with all A's. I give it a good review. When choosing a good college, individual attention and career counseling can go a long way. I believe your own personal work ethic will determine your success. Strayer University is accredited by the Middles States Commission which includes Princeton and John Hopkins University. So gets an A from a motivated Strayer student.
Ca
  12th of Apr, 2008
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
Strayer University is an excellent school and provides working adults with the opportunity to earn a quality education to advance in their careers. I get more out of these courses than I did at the tradition state university here in San Antonio, where the professors seemed to only cater to the traditional full-time student living in a dorm and partying with their fraternities and sorroties (who don't know what it's like to juggle a full-time job, a family, and an education. STRAYER IS AWSOME!
Ve
  5th of May, 2008
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
You sound bitter about a bad grade or something. Grow up. I myself attended Strayer to get my MBA. Not only was my degree recognized, but it was well respected in Northern California were I recently relocated. Strayer doesn't even have a campus here, which told me alot about the caliber of education I received. I would recommend Strayer to anyone that has a busy lifestyle, but still want to further their education. They have great professors, great students and a great curriculum.Out of all the comments, the guy that posted the original comment is the only one complaining. Thats make me question him, not Strayer. So you didnt pass a class. Get over it.
  14th of May, 2008
Agree Disagree +3 Votes
I could sit here all day and tell you about the many interesting experience Ive had at Strayer but I'll keep it short. They prey on people who have tuition assistance and those who need a flexible "fit your life" (haha) schedule. They are stationed near the military bases for a reason. They know the tuition funding from military students will be 100% from Uncle Sam so they jack up their fees. The staff is not knowledgeable at all and the turnover rate is so high that you never know who you will see sitting at the desk when you go in. That should have been the first red flag but at the time I was naive. I have paid thousands for books I did not need or use and amassed even more in student loan debt. I will have a two year degree that took me four years and will have cost me more than the car I just bought. I probably won't finish paying off Sallie Mae until I'm old and receiving Social Security. I am not just a "bitter student who didn't pass a class". I have a 3.5 GPA and I am not the only one complaining. I feel like most of the classes I took were on a high school level or below but I couldn't leave because nothing would transfer to another school and I didn't want to waste anymore money. My MAT 105 was so easy that sometimes the teacher even got bored and would leave the room or he would tell us he had a bad day with his stocks so don't bother him. I along with another student taught the class on two occasions. We all complained and Strayer offered everyone A's to drop the complaint. I already had an A but that wasn't the point. Some people didn't learn a thing. Most of the material I went over in MAT 105 I had already covered in 7th grade Algebra II. I could go on and on but I won't because it makes me angry. This place is a diploma mill. You don't earn your degree, you buy it. Case closed.
Er
  19th of May, 2008
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
Strayer is a good school. Again, you get out what you put in. I've attended other colleges, and there isn't any difference. This school is geared towards adults who, for one reason or another, didn't finish their degree earlier.

There are always those who complain.
  31st of May, 2008
Best Best Advice Agree Disagree +4 Votes
Eric,
Either you work for Strayer or you have been severely disillusioned by the standard issue smokescreen. I have put the maximum effort into every class and I am still not getting the same from Strayer. There are so many differences between Strayer and real colleges that I don't have enough room or time to list them all. A few that I will touch on are as follows:
1. Real colleges don't charge you $2100 per course and then make you buy only their special books that you really don't need at a cost of another $200 to $300 per class.
2. Real colleges return your calls and reply to you when you have concerns. They do not allow you to leave numerous messages that go unreturned until you just give up out of exasperation( I'm talking about you, Dean Tony Johnson at the Newington office)
3. Real colleges don't go through deans, teachers and other administrative staff like water goes through a sieve.
4. Real colleges don't allow their teachers to earn a paycheck while putting forth no to minimal effort.
5. Real colleges don't have admissions officers who hang at the doors like vultures waiting for their next kill because they have a monthly quota to meet.
6. Real colleges don't purposefully build near military bases. Strayer knows the government will pay for tuition no questions asked so they can jack up the prices of their courses. Did you know that Strayer made more money in one year than Harrah's entertainment. Yes, that Harrah's( Las Vegas, Atlantic City etc)
Se
  12th of Jun, 2008
I'm a current student and Strayer. I'm working towards my B.S in Database technology and work in the IT department at a major airport.

I have had nothing but a great experience at Strayer, classes are hands on. I work with MBA's from Drexel, University of Penn, and when they see the course curriculum they are impressed.

Did I have bad professors? YES
Did I have outstanding professors? YES
Did I have classes that I excelled in? YES
Did I have classes that I really had a hard time with? YES

Anytime I needed assistance with financial aid I always had support and prompt attention.

As for the books if you search by the ISBN number you can get the same books without the Strayer logo and sell them back later. Educate yourselves it doesn't take a rocket science to figure that out.

It's what you put into it and believe me I put in 100 percent.
Be
  30th of Jul, 2008
You’re all unethical and jealous!!! I have a Bachelors of Science from Strayer University. I worked so hard to earn that degree, I had Teaches that have Masters Degrees and some were Doctors. If you have not graduated from any College or University then who the hell do you think you are: putting professional students down that work hard, are smart and have a degree? I will sue any one that tells me that I am not skilled and have a degree, I have Certifications:
CompTia Network+ Certified
CompTia A+ Hardware Certified
CompTia A+ Software Certified
Microsoft Certified Professional
Alpha Sigma Lambda Certificate
Degree
Strayer University GPA 3.5: Bachelor of Science in Computer Networking.
Mo
  9th of Aug, 2008
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
I have enrolled in Strayer and will start the fall quarter 2008 and had no problems transferring my community college credits. I've had nothing but a positive experience thus far. I'll keep you posted!
J0
  29th of Aug, 2008
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Any university that markets themselves like some diploma mill is a diploma mill. You're wasting your time and money, people. I promise you that when the rubber hits road, you will be found lacking. And, no, I didn't attend this sham of a fake institution. Just because you are doing well at Strayer does not mean the school is bona fide.
An
  3rd of Sep, 2008
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
I can agree with most of the complaints here. When I first started at Strayer, it was fine. As a matter of fact, it was excellent. My admissions officer was great and helped in any way she could. However, this changed quickly when dealing with other departments (particularly financial aid). The turnover rate is extremely high. Also, sometimes they don't have a clue as to what's going on. Some don't return phone calls. I only have two quarters left to finish up my Masters degree and I just want to get it over with. I also found out about some accreditation issues after I'd been there for a while. I seriously thought about transferring but was concerned that the credits wouldn't transfer. I'd also invested a lot of money into it already since Strayer is very very expensive. However, it is convenient. The question is...Is it worth it??? NO! If you're considering it...Don't! Do your research first! Make a better choice.
  21st of Sep, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Just an update for all you non believers out there. I just got a call from a collection agency. Know why? Strayer didnt get paid for my last two classes. Hmmmmm...I was told that if I changed from an AA to a BS that my classes would be covered as I would get more money for my student loan. I would owe $200 at the MOST. Fine. So thats what I did. Well come to find out, that was NOT the case and I still owe almost $2100. I went to the school and they agreed that yes, maybe I was told that but it didnt happen so now I have to pay! I am disputing this charge as I would have never taken the classes if I knew I would have to pay out of pocket at the end of class . I received ONE bill during the first week of classes stating the total balance and when I called I was told that my loan would pick up the rest don't worry about it. Not once again during the semester did I receive any correspondence from Strayer to say that I had an unpaid balance.
  21st of Sep, 2008
Bean,
1. I am not putting the students down I am putting down Strayer.
2. The term unethical does not apply in this situation. Nor does the word jealous. I am neither.
Look it up...unethical...not conforming to approved standards of social or professional behavior. Having an opinion does not make me unethical. This term could apply to Strayer however.
3. You cannot sue someone for calling you unskilled. I have called lots of people who hold degrees unskilled and even inept. All they got was a temporary case of hurt feelings and I never got sued. Then again the truth hurts sometimes doesn't it?
4. I'm glad you've had such good teachers. I wish I could say the same however since as I stated above I am not unethical so I wont lie. I've had teachers who were openly having affairs on their wives with students and some who were arrested numerous times for soliciting prostitutes. I've also had a teacher who came to class and refused to teach on two occasions because he had a bad day. I taught the math class both days while he went AWOL because we deserved better than what he was putting in.
If this sounds like the kind of program you want to get with then please keep going to Strayer. I dont know how it is where you went but White Marsh campus is a joke. I thought I was rid of them until I got that lovely call from the collection agency saying my tuition was still not paid. I just wanted to get my AA and get the fudge out of there. I thought thats what happened after I took mylast two courses but apparently I was wrong and they didnt hold up their end of the deal. Dont let it happen to you. Times are too hard these days
Je
  30th of Sep, 2008
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Strayer is a horrible school to attend. They are so full of it. They rip you off with your money and there staff comes and goes like flies. You have children working in the financial aid office and all they talk about is that this is government money. I hate Strayer and I am so sorry that I received 2 degrees from them. I had to wait 12 weeks after the quarter was over to get my refund check. They act as though this is there money. Give me my money. Strayer needs to have a complete makeover and Corporate Office needs to do an audit on all Strayer Campuses because they need to be rivised.
Mi
  5th of Oct, 2008
I'm attending Strayer University now and it's not perfect by any means. I agree about the admission officer waiting to get you in and sign you up. I felt like I helped someone meet their quota. They do have a high turnover rate. I've had to tell a few people off during my 3 semesters so far. I certainly am no one to be taken advantage of so I've voiced my opinions and thoughts respectfully and regularly. I've gotten a good financial aid package and my job reimburses me so it is an acceptable school for me for those reasons. I can do online classes which fits into my schedule. My previous school credits transferred so I'm going to finish in 2.5 years as opposed to 4-5. Though it's not perfect, it fits into my schedule well. I really don't need someone on top of me to tell me to do anything, they just need to be there when I have questions.
Mo
  22nd of Oct, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have been attending Strayer for a year now and I only have two problems, 1st the tuition is SOOOO expensive. I wish they offered more CLEP classes for business majors so that I could pay the $75 or $80 to take those tests and get this school thing over with sooner. My 2nd compaint is they also offer the "work/life experience" credits but those are for certain classes and hardly any pertaining to business degrees and to get that credit, you still have to pay $250 per class. My professors are great, they have taught at other accredited Universities and are really helpful. I guess if I could, I would have just stayed in college when I was younger because I am really "paying" for it now.
St
  4th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have read through all the comments and I am not amazed by any of them. Those with the complaints must realize that ALL schools have those same problems. It is not unique to Strayer at all.

I am currently an adjunct at Strayer on campus and online. I received my undergraduate degree from a traditional school (University of Michigan), my master's from an online school (AIU Online) and working on my PhD online (Walden University). I have personally experienced all the good and the bad that has been expressed here as a student and heard about it as an instructor as well. Not just at Strayer, but also at another school where I teach adjunct on campus.

Tuition is expensive EVERYWHERE.
There are instructors with questionable behavioral choices EVERYWHERE.

My suggestion is if you feel you are not getting your just due from an instructor, then report it to the Dean. I have yet to see a Dean that did not take a complaint seriously. I myself was reported by a student. The Dean kept their identity confidential, but still asked me a bunch of questions. He concluded that the complaint was not founded and remarked the student did receive a B in my course. If you don't feel the Dean is responsive, move it up the chain. They have quite a hierarchy and believe me they want to minimize any negativity wherever possible.

School is what YOU make it. If you pay your money then demand to get your money's worth. There are plenty instructors like myself who are committed to providing you with the best education possible. Don't allow ones who don't have that philosophy short change you.
Me
  13th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
You know what, I came to this board to see if there was something that would deter me from moving forward with Strayer. But I'm not reading anything here that I have not read about any other schools. Local universities advertise on tv. That is nothing new. I've had financial aid issues with my community college. That is nothing new. Let's see...what else. Teachers...ahh I could tell you some stories about teachers at the local campus. You get good ones, you get bad ones. Nothing new. I also think that someone that feels the need to keep coming back to this board and complaining about the school has had some personal issues that she needs to deal with. Furthermore, if they tell you they will change your financial aid and you don't get it on paper or see your new loan revisions, that would probably be an issue with you, wouldn't it? They are not going to be paying back that loan. You will. So why wouldn't you keep better track of that? Telling them later that someone on the phone said this or that wouldn't help you, would it?
Im
  20th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I was reluctant to say anything because I think some of you need to learn for yourself as I did. And regardless what I say, some of you will argue. I agree with the complaints about Strayer and can add so much more. I had the school analyzed by a Professor at Duke University because I was having many problems with my instructors. I too was working on my MBA. I had to correct the instructors many, many, many times as they fell short of complete knowledge of the subject they were teaching. I also had a class on campus that was taught by the dean. He left halfway through the semester for a promotion. The class was taken over by the new dean. She had no idea where to start. She missed at least half the classes. She only had to teach half a semester. She was out looking for a new Jag and yes that is factual from her own mouth. In short, the instructor from Duke stated the school was at best mediocre. And regardless as to what some may tell you, it is not an accredited school. At least not one that is recognized by nearly all organizations. It is only under a different accreditation standard. So anyhow good luck with it. My suggestion is to save your money, Strayer is way, way too costly, and go to a community college. A 2 year degree from a community college is more recognized than a 4 yr from Strayer or an MBA from Strayer. Argue if you like but I am well rehearsed from my nightmare with them. And yes I am sure there are some affiliates from Strayer on this board. So be careful to some of the arguements.

Strayer University Logo Strayer University