Starbucks / shame on you starbucks!

Recently, Starbucks was contacted by our armed forces in the Persian Gulf. They expressed their liking of Starbucks coffee products and requested some for their consumption.

Keep in mind, while some of us may not agree with current events or support certain decisions by our government, we still have a moral obligation to support our troops. They do not have the final say regarding their duty stations! These men and women VOLUNTEERED to defend our citizens, our freedoms, and our beloved and cherished disposable way of life. At 18, these brave folks are eligible to sign their lives away on the dotted line for Uncle Sam, yet can't get a legal beer until 21! You would think that a popular company, such as Starbucks, could at least give them a cup of lousy coffee! I've been in the hospitality business a long time and am currently a working senior chef. I know where my caffeine is coming from these days, as do my friends in the restaurant business, and it AIN'T from Starbucks! I'm ashamed and appalled that I ever gave them MY hard earned money. From now on, every time I think about a cup of Mocha Latte, I'll put that $4 towards a charitable cause to support the Americans who preserve my way of life and actively give a damn. Shame on you Starbucks!

Va

Comments

4th of Feb, 2007

Ok so I have been hearing the above a lot. Don't you ever bother to check your facts. Check it out:

Summary of the eRumor:

An email from a Marine who says some Marines wrote to Starbucks to say how much they liked Starbucks coffee and to request some donated coffee for the Marines. The eRumor says Starbucks responded by saying they don't support and war and will not send any coffee. The writer urges a boycott of Starbucks.

Bullet The Truth
    TruthOrFiction.com contacted Starbucks about the story.

Starbucks says that the originator of the email, Sgt. Howard Wright, and talked with him about his complaint. He has now sent a follow-up email to his email list, which appears below. Starbucks assured him of their support of the military and that the only reason any coffee was not donated was because the official Starbucks donation policy authorizes such gifts to officially designated public charities, including libraries and schools, and that the U.S. military or military personnel do not qualify. It was not meant to be a comment on the war or the service of military personnel in the war. The company said that there have been employees that have showed their support through donations of coffee.Starbucks told us that many of the company's employees (called "partners" by Starbucks) receive one pound of free coffee each week and some of that coffee has gone to members of the military or related organizations. For example, the employees in the Starbucks in Atascadero, California, decided to send their weekly free coffee to troops in Afghanistan and there are other such stories about Starbucks coffee finding its way into the hands of military personnel.

Here is Sgt. Wright's follow-up email after Starbucks spoke with him:

Dear Readers,

Almost 5 months ago I sent an e-mail to you my faithful friends. I did a wrong thing that needs to be cleared up. I heard by word of mouth about how Starbucks said they didn't support the war and all. I was having enough of that kind of talk and didn't do my research properly like I should have. This is not true. Starbucks supports men and women in uniform. They have personally contacted me and I have been sent many copies of their company's policy on this issue. So I apologize for this quick and wrong letter that I sent out to you.

Now I ask that you all pass this email around to everyone you passed the last one to. Thank you very much for understanding about this.

20th of Sep, 2007

Are people like Blackwater or Halliburton or any of the other big-mouth flag-wavers "patriotically" donating their services? Hell NO, they're not!

And Sgt. Wright's original e-mail was NOT a result of inadequate research; he knowingly posted false information because he was pissed off. Here's hoping he had his ### reamed for it.

30th of Mar, 2008

Having worked for Starbucks for over 3 years now...I have to say your are terribly mistaken! This company does so much for the community than any company I have worked for in my life!!!. At my store, last year we donated our partner markouts (1 lb. of coffee per week per employee) and we had a big basket where customers could purchase a bag and donate it to the troops overseas. My store alone donated over 100 lbs. of coffee, and this was just in a couple months. AND... this was just my store... I know many other stores around the country did this!!! Never accuse Starbucks of not being involved!!!

• Ra
      3rd of Apr, 2009

these are just RUMORS. i personally helped organize drives (plural) to send items, gift baskets, care packages, and various goodies to our men and women overseas. the folks at starbucks have obliged my requests to help out and have never given attitude or any kind of disrespect to those brave folks overseas. maybe YOU should be more involved and stop waiting for someone to do it for you. this all of our responsibility. what have YOU done lately?

• De
      8th of Apr, 2010

I am SO glad to see fellow partners stepping up and putting the idiots who spread this crappy rumor around in their places. It's AMAZING how many people will believe something simply because it's written down. Grow a brain and check things out for yourself before you go reaming somebody out - and getting embarrassed because you're WRONG.

Proud Partner Since 2001