Staples Office Supply / warranty fraud

1 Rocklin, CA, United States Review updated:

I was sold a 2 yr "no question asked, bring it into the store and we will replace it, " replacement warranty for my printer. After one yr it quit working, I returned to the store and they said that I would have to send it in, that they do not take them at the store. That is not what I purchased! The manager said there was nothing he could do, but call the DM the next day. He understood my frustration and that many others felt the same way but that corp had made the change. This is totally WRONG. They should honor what was sold and make the change by quit selling this kind of warranty. I will never shop at Staples again. Don't you get "stapled"

Comments

• Wa
      31st of Jan, 2011

I purchased the extended warranty on a printer, based on the salesperson's statements to me that if I had a problem with the printer I could bring it back to the store for an immediate replacement. As I was purchasing the printer for my home office, and did not want to be without a printer if it broke, this sounded like a reasonable option. I purchased the two year "Date-of-Purchase, Technical Support & Protection Plan" for $29.99. When I had problems with the printer six months later, and could not fix the problem using telephone tech-support, I attempted to exchange the printer at the store. The store manager refused to abide by the terms of the warranty as they had been explained to me. When I questioned the manager and a salesperson about what the salespeople were telling their customers; I was told to leave the store or be arrested. I chose to leave the store and conduct my own investigation into what the Staples salespeople are telling customers to get them to buy the extended warranties.

I posed as someone interested in purchasing a printer and visited six Staples stores in the Denver area, two in the Orlando area, and five in the Portland, Oregon area. I found that all the salespeople misrepresented what the true terms and conditions of the extended warranty were. If it had been a small percentage of salespeople misrepresenting the terms and conditions; it may have indicated improper conduct on the part of individuals. However, when the sales pitch misrepresenting the terms and conditions is detailed and consistent from Orlando to Denver to Portland; it is my opinion that this represents a pattern of a business intentionally trying to mislead or defraud its customers. If you have had a similar experience, visit warrantyfraud.org and email me you experience.

• Di
      1st of Mar, 2011

Wow warrantyfraud.org, you do some traveling :) I admit it, I'm a Staples employee, not management or anything, just an hourly associate. I do work in the electronics department, so "extended warranties" are a very large part of my work life. I can easily imagine your experience at such a wide range of stores, I've been tempted to do a little "shopping" at other Staples stores near to me and see how I am treated and how things are represented to me. But if I found discrepancies whom would I present them to? Might cost me my job I think, legally shouldn't I'm sure. The pressure is on to sell extended warranties, mainly because it turns a low or negative margin sale into a profitable one. Employees are directly graded on how many they sell and the dollar amount. I have been with Staples for just over 3 years in different capacities and to my knowledge it has never during that time been Staples policy to offer immediate in-store replacement for electronic items, although it does happen. Just happened in my store yesterday as a matter of fact. You sound like a reasonable person warrantyfraud.org and I'm assuming you weren't making a scene in the one store where you were told you would be arrested, and that is definitely NOT Staples policy. I've put up with some pretty degrading treatment at the hands of customers, but never considered asking one to leave my store (well, I've considered it, but never done it).