Staples / computer setup errors

Great Barrington, MA, United States

In May of 2017 I purchased a Dell Inspiron 13 Series 5000 computer from my local Staples. I paid for Matrix Premier PC set-up, 1 year of McAfee Livesafe, 1 year Part 1 Virus Shield Matrix, and 1 year Office Persona, among other charges that ended up costing me $814.68. Customer Order # [protected]

I am not challenging the fact that I needed the above "extras". I know to expect them as part of the total transaction.

What I am really upset about is the fact that whoever I paid to set up my new computer and install the above items did not set it up correctly. For some reason, he or she only loaded my virus protection, Office 365 for the trial period. By the time I realized that I wasn't covered, my computer had become infected with a worm that proceeded to destroy a good 90% of my data. Fortunately, I had saved important files on an external hard drive a couple months before this occurred. It has taken me the good part of a month to recreate the data lost.

I was told that these computer setups are contracted out to 3rd party entities. Not only did I pay almost $100 for a service I did not receive, but had the great inconvenience of having to recreate work unnecessarily.

I have nothing but good things to say about the employees and manager of the Staples where I purchased my computer. They were extremely helpful and sympathetic, and I do not fault anyone there for my problems.

I do feel I should be reimbursed for the set-up fee, since I received incompetent service that resulted in a huge problem for me. I don't care how I am reimbursed...store credit, gift card, etc., but I do feel that I deserve some satisfaction for the unsatisfactory service that I received.

I have all paperwork generated during this tedious process.

El