Standard Bank / travel wallet is a disgrace

Late September 2009 I travelled from South Africa to UK with my 15 year old daughter on holiday. My daughter is a client of Standard Bank and I got her a Travel Wallet (A temporary debit card loaded with foreign currency for overseas transactions) from her bankers where 350 GBP was initially loaded. A further 500 pounds was loaded as we encountered the problems stated below.

All transactions that were not successful were debited against the card but not reversed with a credit. We always phoned the ATM operators or followed up with the respective merchants who confirmed that the transactions had been reversed.

By the time we left London on 3rd October 2009, Standard Bank and their counterparts HSBC Bank London PLC oweed us 350 Pounds. Our e-mail to Standard Bank while in UK about our plight yielded no response. Back home in South Africa we are told by the Standard Bank Lynnwood Ridge Branch that it takes 14 days to update the card.

They obviously think that somebody would hang around at a holiday resort for 14 days while waiting for them to update the card.

Comments

• Ha
      2nd of Sep, 2010
    Standard Bank - Unsolicited phone calls
    standardbank.com

I, like most people, do not enjoy being called at work by telemarketers. The person was offering life coverage from Standard Bank. I was not interested, already covered. They continue 'that's great news you understand the importance of such insurances..' something along those lines, who writes this stuff really? Then go on to say 'what we are offering will not affect your current policies..' blah blah. I hung up. Call it rude but I hate being hassled by telemarketers. And I received the call on a collegue's phone to add frustration to the call. I never expected such a call from my bank. I understand they are trying to provide me with a service, but if I am not interested or I do not seem interested, end the call. Just a tip. It's not fun being on my end of the call. Especially when you know you are not interested at all, yet the call seems as though it will go on forever.

• Tr
      7th of Sep, 2010
    Standard Bank - Lack of communication with clients
    standardbank.com

I have been a customer of Standard Bank for about 25 years now and as of today I am going to take my business elsewhere finally.

I have always had an overdraft facility of R20 000 on my account but today I discovered that our overdraft had been brought down to R13 000 WITHOUT NOTIFICATION I spoke to my branch manageress who said I should come into the bank to review the overdraft as my account had been run very well and I could apply again for more. Well I just want to tell you that your communication methods stink because NEVER have I been notified that the facility would be lowered and that is what makes me the angriest.

I have to find out in such an embarrassing way that I don’t have an overdraft facility – this happened while we were on holiday and had to make a payment to the air school for our son that is studying there and my husband returned to Nigeria where he works today and was going to transfer the money over from his offshore account – but now I just want to tell you I am not interested in doing business with Standard Bank again.

• Dr
      8th of Sep, 2010
    Standard Bank - I don't want to be associated with Standard bank anymore
    standardbank.com

I received a call from the Standard bank sales trying to sell some form of 'life cover' in case of injury or death due to a criminal activity such as a hi-jacking. After politely stating that I was not interested, twice, the person started quoting crime statistics in order to convince me, telling how many people die every some many minutes in this country. I believe that it is poor form and poor ethics using scaring tactics in order to make a sale. I believe that the product should sell itself and Standard bank should be above this kind of tactics. Where are your ethics or is it just about the bottom line? Shame on you, Standard bank for bad business ethics. I don't want to be associated with Standard bank anymore!

• So
    Standard Bank - Standard Bank threatening and harassing my wife
    standardbank.com

Standard Bank and its lawyers must stop harassing and threatening my wife henceforth. Her account was handed for collection due to an error by the bank. My wife requested a reduction order in her overdraft and that the account must be locked for all debits – only credits as she no longer uses the account (& will deposit R700 every month to pay off the overdraft). Std Bank didn’t do the latter, which we’ve accepted and agreed to pay all the charges on a monthly basis. Last month I paid Std Bank (R2 000) on the 14th, and even before the end of the current calendar month its lawyers are harassing and threatening my wife for payment. I have never refused to pay or skipped any payment. I will pay Std Bank before the end of the September calendar month as I’ve always done. Stop this sonsense please!

9th of Sep, 2010
    Standard Bank - The bank are eager to take charges on your account, but is not willing to assist you with a fraud on your account
    standardbank.com

I had a illegal transaction from Iburst on my account, send a secure message no responce, phone the bank no consultant available to assist me with fraudulent transaction. The secure message does not even show on the reports.

What is wrong surely the bank must be able to assist if you have a problem. The bank are eager to take charges on your account, but is not willing to assist you with a fraud on your account.

I do not get a lunch time so I can not go to the bank, though the secure message will work but to my surprice it does not work.

• Sd
    Standard Bank - Stay far away from Standard Bank
    standardbank.com

My first home I purchased through Standard bank but on a bad rate. They were not willing to budge so I had no choice but to switch to another home finance institution that offered me a lower rate. That was 7 years ago. Now I'm applying again and Standard Bank again will not give me a good rate. Standard Bank is my personal bank, why won't MY BANK give me a better rate than other banks who don't know me?

Quote from Standard Bank's Website: 'We understand that buying a house is more than just an investment, but also a place to call home and to create those memorable moments that will last forever. At Standard Bank we want to make this process as easy as possible.'

Well they not making this purchase easy for me!!!

• Be
      13th of Sep, 2010
    Standard Bank - Extreme rude unhelpful, unprofessional
    standardbank.com

This is the third complain and still no answers. If you phone Baby, she covers for Lynette. Lynette always say I'll come back to you. She never does. If you phone the switchboard they don't answer. If you ask who the manager is at any other number they put you through to Baby. Baby is always rude, never does what she promise. After 6 months I am still struggling to get two machines transferred to the new owners. I was threatened to be handed over to Credit bureau and lawyer. No apologies, no compensation for all my calls. More than 50. Baby just don't listen, she blames the bank MD and system and uses Lynette to confront me as the client telling everybody that I sore at her and that I treated her bad. When Baby ran out of excuses she refused to help me further, saying the account is in my wife's name and that she will not help me further. I explained that I am also an owner of the business and my wife gave me proxy and that she sent them an email permitting me to speak on her behalf. Baby just said she will not take any nonsense from me and that she will get someone else to phone me. She specifically mentioned that I MUST be to Mark and I am not allowed to jump over his head.

• Ni
      14th of Sep, 2010
    Standard Bank - This bank has wasted a lot of my time
    standardbank.com

Would have thought this would be easier. I have been to my branch THREE TIMES in the last year to change my one time password (good thing i use my other bank for most of my e-banking). Anyway I tried again last week, at which stage I was told my new number was only lodged with my branch, but not with my internet banking profile (whatever). Anyway I made a call to the internet banking call centre from inside the bank. I was told that my one time password would be sent to my email address(after which I could change it to my cell number). Great.

A few hours later I received a phonecall (which I had not been informed about) asking for personal details, which I refused to answer. I was then told that my profile would not be updated. I tried to phone the bank back but was put on permanent hold.

Since I was already told that my details would be updated, I assumed that the second call was a mix-up. When I next logged into internet banking I fount that my profile WAS STILL NOT UPDATED. And since it was after hours and there was no-one to phone, I couldn't do anything except log into my other bank.

This bank has wasted a lot of my time. STAY AWAY.

16th of Sep, 2010
    Standard Bank - Standard Bank does not care for you
    standardbank.com

Three weeks ago I was mugged at knife point. My cards and ID was taken. I asked Standard Bank for a new card and guess what...they could not give me one because I had SHORT PAID my card by R70.00.

Having finally got my other cards together I transferred R5000.00 yesterday and phoned today to ask for a new card.

Guess what...now I have to wait another 3 days for the transfer to go through, effectively taking 44 days to get a new card under extenuating circumstances!

Is it not possible to start the process on a payment confirmation fax from FNB, after all it is only a card!!

This is my second valid complaint in a month and by the time this is read and commented on by Standard Bank the 3 days will be up...so who wins?

• Ag
      17th of Sep, 2010
    Standard Bank - Against the consumer protection act
    standardbank.com

I am a Standardbank Customer. I am under debt counseling. Because of this the Standardbank will not re issue an existing credit card. Understandable, but not only was the amount owed paid, the debt counselor over paid leaving the card with a credit balance of plus minus R2700. We call Standardbank, who confirmed the money can be drawn. However, I cannot get my money out of Standardbank come h ell or high water. I have been passed from call center to branch countless time and have spent hours in the branch trying to get my own money.

Standardbank simply cannot or will not resolve the issue. This is bad service but also against the Consumer Protection Act!

• Ug
      21st of Sep, 2010
    Standard Bank - For the past few days, every call I try to make to both Internet banking phone number and the prestige number have been disconnected, multiple times
    standardbank.com

I have recently moved from South Africa to the United States but I still have banking to do their via the internet banking system. However, I can no longer receive a One Time Password (OTP) due to my phone no longer working. I have tried to change my OTP method of delivery through the secure, password-protected website and the only way I can do it - YOU GUESSED IT - to have an OTP sent to me!!! This makes absolutely ZERO sense!

I have sent numerous emails to IB Support and have spoken to consultants in both the call centre and Prestige banking. A consultant from Prestige actually told me that he could change it to my current number and that someone would call, but nobody has called me since. I have sent further emails to IB support and they say that I have to call Prestige banking or have my OTP reset. For the past few days, every call I try to make to both Internet banking phone number and the Prestige number have been disconnected, multiple times. I have spent a lot of money and still have gotten no resolution to this problem. This is actually hurting the BANK because I can't conduct business via my online account.

22nd of Sep, 2010
    Standard Bank - No accountability for breach of undertaking
    standardbank.com

On 1 July 2009 I accidentally tranferred some of my savings into the incorrect beneficiary account. I logged a request first thing on 2 July to have the transaction recalled. On following up (unilaterally) I have either been informed that 'this should be resolved by the end of the week' or 'we are following up with our Johannesburg department' or, according to Ms Govender, 'I don't know what to do'.

Frustratingly, I have now spoken to atleast 4 people to address the query. I have sent two e-mails to the Recall Manager in Johannesburg, with no response, been to a branch to speak to one of the team leaders, and telephonically tried to establish what is going on. To date, I have received no 'straight story' or been advised of the action being taken to resolve the issue.

I am at my wits end and will definitely not recommend Standard Bank to my colleagues particularly those working in International Trade and Transport transactions.

• Wo
      22nd of Sep, 2010
    Standard Bank - Don't put the phone down on clients
    standardbank.com

I received a call from Standard Bank Card Division this morning and had the phone put down on me by Bianca. Are Standard Bank happy that their staff do this? I have banked at Standard Bank for 18 years, also have a current account and home loan through them and don't appreciated having the phone put down on me by some little clerk who has no manners let alone telephone manners.

I'm so angry I'm seriously considering taking my accout to ABSA, I believe they don't treat their clients this way.

• Co
      24th of Sep, 2010
    Standard Bank - Misleading info and terrible service
    standardbank.com

I took out a personal loan of R9000 in 2005 for a term of 60months and instalment given was R201. Its been 4yrs and my loan amount is still on over R5000. I spent the entire day on the telephone with customer service, managers, etc querying how its possible for me to owe so much and be finished next year with only paying the agreed instalment amount of R201. I was given so much *** feedback about interested occurring on a monthly, yearly basis and that regardless of the fact that the loan agreement is for 60 months that after that term and the balance is say over R4000 I would still be liable to pay it. So in a nut shell I would be paying back over 100% interest and for an even longer term that what myself and the bank agreed upon. Now I am writing this complaint because there is no way any institution can charge you 100% interest and give you a *** reason on top of it. And yes I defaulted on my account maybe on 2 occasions and even so are you telling me that for 2 months default I have to now pay back more that R4000. I am lost for words!!! I cannot believe that standard bank.. a supposable reputable institution can go on doing this to South Africans!! someone help!!

28th of Sep, 2010
    Standard Bank - Standard Bank will never again get a cent from me after this
    standardbank.com

My overdraft was handed over to Anthony Richards Attorneys, I spoke to Mrs October. I have been unemployed for more than 6 months, and told Mrs October the situation, and was told that, 'Standard Bank do not consider unemployment an excuse for non-payment'! You've got to love the understanding of the current economic situation. I can't wait for the recession to end - Standard Bank will never again get a cent from me after this.

• Kh
      28th of Sep, 2010

You over drafted and never paid it back...at this point they do NOT want you as a customer

• Cr
      5th of Oct, 2010
    Standard Bank - I am at the point of moving all my accounts to another bank
    standardbank.com

I have never experienced such frustration as i have experienced with Standard Bank in the last 2 months, i have been with them since i was 10 years old, a total of 19 years. 2 months ago i went to change my surname on my accounts as i was recently married, as well as open a cheque account. the sales consultant, Nick, confirmed that my card would be available in 5 working days and i had to mark off all my debit orders on my bank statement so that Standard bank could contact the suppliers to change the bank details for the debit orders. It has now been 2 months, every week i am told i will have the card by the following week, but i still have nothing. I am now headed for the second month of debit orders and i still have no idea which account they will be deducted from. I am at the point of moving all my accounts to another bank.

The branch manager called me back this afternoon, finally, after i left 4 messages and i eventually blew my top on the last message i left, he was barely even polite on the phone and i received not even one apology! I am disgusted!

• Vi
      21st of Dec, 2010
    Standard Bank - pay account without any supporting documentation
    South Africa
    standadbank.co.za

I received a call 2 weeks ago from a collection agency, they said that I had been handed over to MBD collections agency on the 30/11/2010 for the amount of R398.00 for a Game card affiliated to Standard Bank. I have not had a game card since 1996 so I was curious, I phoned Game and they have no record of an account in my name and they bank with ABSA not Standard Bank, I phoned Standard bank and they say they have the outstanding balance under my id number outstanding since they think around 2000, or could be about July 1998, I asked them if they could tell me the exact date and if they could tell me what it was for or provide proof of the purchase, they refered me to their Lawyer. I have attempted to contact the Lawyer numerous times and left messages or been on hold for 5/6 min at a time to no avail to sort this issue out. I left south africa in Jan 1996 and only returned to South Africa in 2006, when I left to my knowledge the account was closed with no monies owed. The tracing agency first told me to email them stating this, then I told the supervisor that game does not have any account under my name he then informed me that I need to submit an avidavit to that effect, which costs money and why did the first guy not tell me this? incompetence is unbelieveable. I gave them 1 week to produce the evedence of the transaction and any supporting documentation to which i have received no further comminciation... it has been ignored. Now I know that judgement cannot be passed if older than 3 years but this incompetent idiots dont even know when or what it is for which is very scary as now they can black list me if I do not pay which is blackmail and ilegal... what does one do in this instance???

• Ag
      11th of Jan, 2011
    Standard Bank - Stay away from Standard Bank
    Standard Bank

I have been with Standard Bank for the last 10 15 years. My accounts are up to date, never missed a payment, but just hit a bad patch and would like to make a loan to consolidate my debts.

My fiance and I run a company - so i get a salary every month which differs as to the work load and profits.
    I have applied for a loan which has now been turned down and i need to produce financials and a papers from my bookkeeper. It has nothing to do with my company i am requesting a personal loan.So I now have to go into the branch like a pesant and beg and plead for a loan from a bank who i have supported for how many years.
    As soon as i have paid off my existing loan i will close all my accounts with STD bank if this is the service they give.

• Ho
      12th of Jan, 2011
    Standard Bank - No improvement on service
    Standard Bank

About 3 weeks ago I posted my complaint regarding the terrible service I received from Standard bank, to date my query has not been sorted. I feel like I was just given a call by standard bank to shut me up or at least to make sure that I do not post another complaint.

I was given a call from a lady the day after I posted my complaint who assured me that she would assist me and my problem would be sorted out soon. What has happened since that phone call absolutely nothing all this has done is decrease my faith in Standard bank just when I thought they had redeemed themselves they disappoint me again.

Whats worse is that they promise to call me on a certain day to inform me of the progress what then happens is that I have to call them every time, makes you wonder if they can't keep a promise to call a client back what is it that they can do for their clients.

It saddens me to think that the only time someone will assist you is when you post a complaint on this website, is this what we need to do to get a response out of our banks. My only option now is to seek advice from the banking ombudsman maybe then someone will take me seriously.