Spirit Airlines / lost luggage

2800 Executive Way
Miramar Florida
[protected]

On March 11, 2007 I went on a family vacation/honeymoon and flew Boston to Fort Lauderdale Florida via Myrtle Beach SC with Spirit airlines. We arrived in Fort Lauderdale and our luggage didn't arrive. Everything my son and I had was in the luggage. We were debarking on a Carnival Cruise the following afternoon out of Miami. We were told to stay in Fort Lauderdale and they would retrieve our luggage as it had been taken off the plane in Myrtle Beach. We had nothing with us at all and had to get a hotel and buy enough stuff for the night. We were assured that we would be reimbursed for the items purchased as well as the hotel. I was in constant contact with the airline after the next flight from Myrtle Beach arrived. My luggage didn't show. We drove to Miami in the morning and they said the luggage would be there at the port. It wasn't. I had to make several stops trying to get a duplicate birth certificate as mine was in my luggage and I needed it to board the ship. I literally called Spirit every half hour to the point where they were annoyed. Once I arrived at the port of Miami I was informed that they in fact never knew where my luggage was and that I had been misinformed. Both my son and myself had only what we had purchased in Fort Lauderdale and my new husband had a duffle bag with his clothing. They assured me that I could purchase clothing on the cruise ship and I would get my money back. It was spring break on the ship and most clothing was the size of a thimble but we got T-shirts and shorts for that night as were stopping in Key West in the morning. And again I was told it would most likely be brought to that port. The cruise ship did absolutely nothing for us with the exception of giving us each a T-shirt and a very small attache case with/ soap, toothbrush and a comb. We did not go on this trip with an unlimited amount of cash so that too was going to become a problem. When we arrived in Key West our luggage was still not there and now I had to spend the entire stop trying to but clothing, makeup, hairdryers and all of the things we needed to make it through the rest of the cruise and the days that we had planned after the cruise was over. We did not go on this trip with an unlimited amount of cash so that too was becoming a problem but I was told with certainty that I would receive compensation for the items purchased was going to become a problem. I asked them how much we could spend and they just kept saying as long as it was in reason they would reimburse me. By the time we had reached Calica Mexico I had drained the account of over 1000.00 to purchase all of the items that we needed and that was by far anything elaborate and as a matter of fact the clothing purchased was not even adequate for us to attend the evening dinners or the captains supper. When we arrived in Calica the airline called and asked me if I would be able to drive to another part of Mexico to retrieve my luggage if they could get it there. I asked them not to send it to Mexico as I did not have a rental car and would be too nervous that I would get lost and by this time funds were becoming a issue. I never received the luggage. I have filled out the lost luggage forms , sent them return receipt and still have received nothing. They also informed me that they would give me money for the contents of the luggage or the replacement clothing and not both. Which was clearly not what I had been told from the beginning. They then inform me that they will not pay for cameras (even disposable), jewelry (even costume) perfume, cosmetics, eye glasses, sea sickness medication, contact lenses and much more. All items that I had. They basically will pay only for my clothing and nothing else although I have the receipts for everything. I have called the company a dozen times and they wont talk to me and just have you leave a message that they do not return. It has been three months and I have heard nothing. I have lost so many items in the luggage that cannot be replaced. I had the gown that I wore when we were married as well as many shower gifts I had received. The trip was a total failure and we were not even able to do any shore excursion when we were on the cruise as I had to shop and run around looking for the luggage at each port. I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I feel they should have to at minimum be held accountable for all of the items purchased and those that were lost. Any help you can give me is appreciated.

Sincerely, Tracey DeWolf.

Comments

29th of Jun, 2007

I agree that the customer service with SpiritAirlines is atrocious. I've now lost 2 bags with them, one going to my destination and one returning. No one answers the phone and when I went to the airport in Orlando, everyone seems helpless and powerless. No one is responsible for anything (it's not their job and therefore they can do nothing to help). Also no one has any information. I'm not even able to get the forms to file a claim, even after 2 weeks of losing my bag. What a "rip off".

• Ed
      30th of Jun, 2007

Spirit airlines is the worst airlines I've ever dealt with. On Dec 16 2006 debarking from the Carnival Triumph Cruise. My family and I flew out of FLL to Laguardia Airport in NY. When we arrived to NYC, out 5 bags that we checked-in, 1 was missing. We filed a lost luggage form and the agent advised that she'll give us a call if the found it. I've tried calling and all their telephone service is voice activated, you can never get to speak to a representative until it's time to make a reservation or for them to take your money. I tried calling the claims dept 5x's and never spoke to anyone. I left numerous of voice mails and never had I received a response. I wrote the CEO of Spirit airlines twice and not once did he extend the courtesy to write or call me back. I faxed
    and mailed letter of my complaint/claim 5x's to the headquarters of SpiritAir at 2800 Executive Way, Miramar, Florida and not once did I get a reply (I have every fax confirmation). It's going on 8 months now and this situation has not been resolved. This is a non-professional organization whose sole interest is for their selfish monetary gains and not the interests of the customer.

POTENTIAL FLAYER... BEWARE!

• Mi
      8th of Sep, 2007

Lesson learned... never, ever, ever put an irreplaceable item in checked luggage... passports, birth certificates, expensive jewelry must be carried on with you. I fly about six times a year and attempt to carry on anything and everything. Sometimes that isn't possible when going on an extended journey, but at least carry on enough clothes to last a couple of days. I've had too many bad experiences with lost luggage to check anything, it just isn't worth the hassle. Sounds like Spirit Airlines is really a hassle.

14th of Oct, 2007

I went to Las Vagas on June 11, 2007 from Detroit. When I arrived in Las Vegas my luggage was missing. I checked everyday with the baggage area at Macarren airport, nothing. After 45 phone calls to corporate I finally got a form for missing luggage. I sent the form back certified mail and its been over 45 days and I still haven't recieved any information from the airline. I have called corporate another 7 times and have yet to have my phone calls returned. Spirit Airlines owes me over $800. What to do now????

20th of Nov, 2007

I purchased two tickets with Spirit Airlines to fly from Ft. Lauderdale to Managua, Nicaragua on Dec. 9th, 2007. I live in California, so in reliance on my contract with Spirit, I purchased two tickets from Ontario, CA to Ft. Lauderdale with Southwest Airlines.

Spirit then rescheduled my flight from the 9th to the 8th. This necessitated that I change my flight with Southwest from the 9th to the 8th as well. This change with Southwest cost me $175.20. This cost is a direct result of Spirit rescheduling their flight.

When I contacted Spirit about reimbursement, they told me that the only thing that I could do was to cancel my flight with them and get refunded my money for the price of the ticket. I declined to accept this option, because that would mean that I would have to pay for an unused flight to Ft. Lauderdale with Southwest, and it would cancel my vacation to Nicaragua. Reliance damages is the measure of compensation given to a person who suffered an economic harm for acting in reliance on a party who failed!

• Mi
      19th of Jan, 2008

I arrived at the spirit check in counter about 50 minutes before my flight at 1900.I stood in line outside at the curbside check for 10 minutes.When i finally got to the counter the spirit attendant told me that i was not going to make my flight because i did not have time but she said that i could make the next flight at 2130 (Which had open seats) but i had to talk to a supervisor.When i walked inside and spoke to the supervisor she was very rude and could care less about my problem all she said was you late and you have to pay extra to rebook for tomorrow.I told her that the attendant outside said their was space on the 2130 flight but the supervisor responded by saying i dont care you late you have to pay and then she smiled at me as if she was enjoying watching me suffer and anguish over missing my flight.As i tried to reason with her she told me that i was getting too hostile and please go stand in the corner until i cool down speaking to me as if i where a 3 year old child.At this point i was furious and told her i wanted to make a formal complaint of her and could she please give me her name at this point she refused to give me her name stating that i do not have to do that.As i stood at the counter thinking about what should i do i missed my flight i am stranded at the airport and i need to get to atlanta for a family emergency my only option was to pay the 130.00 penalty charge to rebook which brought my total to 379.00.I want this matter investigated and have this supervisor reprimanded. Please feel free to contact me at any time at the above contact information because i fully intend to carry this complaint all the way to the top of the organization if need be. Thank you for your time.Finally this supervisor which refuse to give me her name was a small female late 40's and she look like she was from the middle east or from pakistan.

25th of Jan, 2008

I had a trial membership in the $9 dollar fare club and realized today the trial period ended today. I cancelled membership and recieved confirmation of such. I was checking my bank statement and found that Spirit had submited a electronic payment from my account today. I would like to request that they refund that amount to my account(29.95)

• Ta
      27th of Mar, 2008

Help after reading this I'm scared now. We flew from Costa Rica to Ft.Lauderdale then made the connection to Detroit. by time we got in Detroit all, and i mean all, of our luggage was gone. also there were 4 other people in Metro whose luggage never showed up either .it happened in Ft. Lauderdale because we were all from different places that had to come to Detroit.

• Va
      3rd of Apr, 2008
    Spirit Airlines - Unable to return tickets
    www.spiritair.com

I booked a roundtrip flight for 2 from Ft Lauderale to St Thomas several months in advance on Spirit Airlines. Later I discovered the tickets were cheaper, but I could not cancel the first ones because I only checked REFUNDABLE on the flight there and not on the return flight.

3rd of Apr, 2008

Read my letter to Baldanza after my recent experience with Spirit:

Last week, my extended family (7 adults, 8 children) flew on your airline for our family vacation, from Atlantic City to Cancun connecting through Fort Lauderdale. Our experience overall was very unpleasant.

Oh, there were bad things, such as:

• Unanticipated fees of $60 for stowing luggage, routinely provided by other airlines in the cost of the ticket - albeit, I am sure I did not read the fine print when booking the ticket on line. Just as I did not read the fine print when signing up and paying $30 for the Spirit Air $9 Club. My bad, live and learn.

• The lack of cleanliness inside the aircraft, in particular during our leg from Cancun to Fort Lauderdale. Our seats in one of the legs had a significant amount of Pringles chips and crumbs from other items of food.

• Our luggage was not damp, but soaking wet when we received it in Cancun. I have flown in downpours of rain many times, and never did my luggage arrive anywhere near as wet as it did from this flight.

Of course, if it were just these things, I would not have written this letter. Our experience went from bad to worse on our returning flight on Saturday, March 29, 2008. As an executive for a major professional services firm, I do a great deal of traveling, and I never had an experience even close to what I experienced Saturday evening.

The leg of our flight returning from Cancun to Fort Lauderdale was about one hour delayed due to weather issues. But, we were not worried about missing our connection. After all, Spirit is well aware that there were many people on our plane that were connecting through to Atlantic City. Spirit managers also must have known there were no other flight options for days if these connections were missed - after all, it was Saturday of a spring break week in a southern Florida city. These worries were further eased when the pilot announced, late in the flight, that all connections out of Fort Lauderdale were going to be held to accommodate our late arrival. Cries of joy and relief filled the plane.

Once landing, my niece, who was connecting to Orlando and had carry-on luggage only, went ahead of us. After we cleared customs and were allowed to turn cell phones on, we received and urgent call from our niece, who said that there was a "last call" for boarding for Atlantic City. Our niece went to the gate, and explained to the Spirit representative (I will call her "Plum") that her family of 15 people was rushing to recheck luggage and get through security to get to the gate. Plum told my niece if they did not get there in time, she was shutting the door.

Though surprised, we were still comforted by the pilot's comments on the plane. Nevertheless, we rushed to recheck bags, even though the Spirit representatives were clearly disorganized and hopelessly overwhelmed and unprepared for the rush of people they were facing. We raced through security as fast as possible and literally sprinted to the gate. As we approached the gate, Plum saw us coming and quickly closed the door.

Plum refused to acknowledge us in any way when we questioned her as to why she had closed the gate. Instead, as certain members of our group became hysterical at the shock of what had happened, rather than providing any explanation at all Plum called the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). After TSA arrived and calmed down our group, Plum agreed to discuss our options.

When helping us work through our options, Plum explained to us that the best she could do is rebook us on the next available flight, Tuesday, April 1, 2008, which was three days later. When we asked if she could rebook us through another airline, she said no, but that we could walk up to the other airline counters ourselves and make such arrangements on our own. When we expressed shock at how we were being treated, Plum was clear that Spirit was working within federal guidelines, which surprisingly to us seemed to be about as good as nothing. We asked to speak to a manager. We waited for several hours, and the manager did not come speak with us. Finally, Plum did mention that Spirit might be able to refund the final leg of our trip. Of course, we would need to wait until that is processed, and naturally we are still waiting for our refund.

Now after 11pm on Saturday night, with 8 young children in tow, the adults discussed our options. Waiting three days until Tuesday and flying Spirit was not an option. The adults work, including one starting a new job and another speaking at a conference Monday morning. Besides, the kids have school Monday. Booking with another airline was also out of the question. Since it was spring break week, no flights were available Sunday, and a Monday flight, just one-way, would cost my family of five more than $2 thousand. In the end, we accepted the only possible alternative - we rented minivans and drove, through the night, the next day and into the next night, from Fort Lauderdale to the Philadelphia area, more than 20 hours.

It was not just our group - the terminal was filled with people that had to wait up to five days to travel to San Francisco, LA, Detroit. Similar story to ours - Spirit could not wait just a few minutes to accomodate weather delayed connections.

Before leaving Fort Lauderdale, to cap off our Saturday night, we spoke with representatives at the car rental company (Avis) about our predicament. We did not need to mention the name of the airline - they guessed Spirit themselves. They also told us that this happens with Spirit all the time.

Since returning, I have read many stories similar to ours on the internet. The level of disrespect Spirit shows its customers is absolutely shocking. It is true that our flight would have been delayed if the flight had waited five to maybe ten minutes for us to board. Any other airline I have ever taken would have acknowledged the delay was outside of the control of the passengers, realized five or ten minutes is immaterial in airline travel, and held the plane - - particularly for 15 passengers. And if money is all you care about, your rates were not even that low. We flew because of the convenience of leaving from Atlantic City, since we were together at a family event the day before in a nearby town.

We are filing this letter as a federal complaint and with a variety of consumer affair sites. My family and I do not want anything from your airline. What we do want is for others to understand the lack of respect your airline has for its customers, so a fantastic vacation does not get ruined for another family because they chose to include Spirit in their plans.

Best of luck with the future of your airline and your careers - you will need it.

• Ru
      8th of Apr, 2008

worst airline ever, didnt send our luggage with us to costa rica, didnt get our bags until 7 days later(half of our trip) everyday the guy at the airport said it was being sent down to us so we would sit around the hotel waiting for nothing. Plus he wanted to charge us for our bags being sent to us. my girlfiends bag was damaged so we had to buy a suit case in costa rica(never been paid back) tons of delays and to top it off they didnt send her bag back to lax. what a joke

• Tn
      25th of Apr, 2008

NEVER FLY SPIRIT AIR SPIRIT AIRLINES OR SPIRITAIR.COM
    I usually only write internet entries when the service was impeccable, but in the case the service was the worst I have ever received!
    I have yet to receive appropriate assistance for my missing luggage that was never put on the plane! How do you manage to fail to load all luggage, and not once but regularly because I have read this complaint multiple times now in the week that I have been waiting for some info. on my luggage.
    Spirit airlines holds no value for the people keeping it running!!! There is no customer service, only answering machines and incompetent representatives that book tickets and take your credit card info... they are incapable of doing anything else (don't blame them, they are outsourced and probably have no idea how Spirit Airlines conducts business)
    What I would like to know is if this has been going on for forever, why is it that we do not hear about their horrible and unreliable service. If I would have known how prevalent lost baggage and non existent customer service was, i would have never flown with them, because now I am spending far more to replace my lost items than I would have to fly with another airline.
    WE ALL NEED TO FILE COMPLAINTS W/ SPIRIT, the governing federal agency allowing this nonsense, and the public so that Spirit can be forced to change its policies.
    NEVER FLY WITH SPIRIT AIRLINES!

• Je
      19th of Jun, 2008
    Spirit Airlines - Awful experience
    Fort Lauderdale
    Phone: 954-447-7828
    www.spiritair.com

My wife and I had tickets for Cancun MX april 1st 2008. My wife called Spirit Airlines and told them the situation with my mother, Their response was to bad!!! My mother was buried on april 1st 2008. She emailed spirit air and said mail the original death certificate with a self addressed envelope if we wanted it back, which we did.

Awful service, beware people!

23rd of Jul, 2008
    Spirit Airlines - Fraud
    2971 71st ave. east
    Sarasota
    Phone: 6786028580

These company has charged my credit card 3 times for $40 each. For what, I don't knwo. It's iImpossible to speak with a customer service rep that can actually help me. They have not responded to any of my emails or messages. This is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life.

• Ad
      31st of Jul, 2008

SPIRIT AIRLINES THE WORST *****SAVE YOUR HEAD SOME HEADACHES DONT DEAL WITH THEM...FRAUD THEY CHARGE MY ACCT, I NEVER BOUGHT THE TICKETS ...PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

• Sh
      4th of Aug, 2008
    Spirit Airline - Ripp OFF
    Spirit Airline
    4971 Palm Hill Drive
    West Palm Beach
    Florida

Spirit airways has the worst customer service,
    I booked a ticket for my husband and son, upon returning they were unable to put my son who is a baby (26 months old) on the flight on an international flight, from Kingston JA to Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International airport. They knowledge of my son's DOB prior to purchasing the ticket because I specifically stated his age and wanted to know exactly what are my options.
    I spoke with customer service by the name of Monica on 07/25/2008, who charged my credit card.
    To my surprise my son was unable to return home on the flight because of their negligence. I was on the telephone pleading to them no one helped instead they put me on hold for two hours only to be disconnected.
    I feel like I've been ripped off, and this situation should get recognized, because it should not happen to anyone else.
    Spirit Airlines should pay for their negligence.

• Ro
      18th of Nov, 2008
    Spirit Air / Club Promotions - Promotion charge

Spirit Club Promotions, charged to my Washington Mutual Credit card the amount of $39.95, without my consent, I, wrote them a letter that I, was not interested in that promotion and to scratch my name of that promotion.

• Va
      4th of Dec, 2008
    Spirit Air - Bad service
    Spirit Air
    Teaneck
    New Jersey

On September 8th, we booked rd trip service on Spirit Air to travel on 11/14/08 from LGA to Detroit with return on 11/16. Arriving at the airport with plenty of time, we were informed that the flight was cancelled, that the next flight we could fly was the following day and that Spirit Air has no relationship with any other carriers, therefore, no reciprocity. Being on a real schedule, due for a family celebration that evening and being Sabbath Observant Jews, travel of any kind was not at option for Saturday or for that matter, any flight that could not guarantee arrival in Detroit before 4 pm. We were forced to spend $575/ticket for our family of 5 to meet our commitment. Spirit has no similar ethic. They run a shoddy, fly by night, disgusting excuse for an airline. Service and customer satisfaction is antithetical to their scheming ways. On our alternate flight we met another family who had paid the same price for their original seats to American Airlines that we had to Spirit. When American cancelled their flight they provided them with car service to EWR airport, arranged their new flight and covered all the expenses. We were devastated. Spirit's practices should be reviewed by the FAA. There is no standard of care. This is a disgusting airline. We felt like we were in a third world country.

• Mr
      5th of Jan, 2009
    Spirit Airlines - Cancelled twice from DC to Ft.laud

Jan 5th 2009..
    Horrible airlines...
    My wife and kids (1.5 yrs & 4.5 yrs) travelling from DC to Ft.Laud(Miami).

she waited for 3 hrs at the airport at the last minute flight got cancelled, they gave 2 options either rebook for next day morning or refund.

she rebooked for next day morning, next day morning went to airport and again flight is delayed for 3 hrs, now after waiting 3 hrs again they cancelled second time, Shame on them... happened twice
    Shame spiti does'nt have no backup plans at all.

Now the lady at the counter said they can do is refund or rebook.

My wife with kids its totally not easy.

Spirit airlines really a shame less mgmt. no customer service.

Victim of Spirit Air...

• Do
      25th of Mar, 2009
    Spirit Airlines - Cancelled Flight
    Spirit Airlines

Booked a flight on Spirit Airlines 2 months ago from Atlantic City to Myrtle Beach nonstop.Last week received a email from Spirit Airlines that the flight will not run in April.They booked me from Atlantic City to Ft Lauderdale and then back to Myrtle Beach what B.S.(9 hours)
    They have a $9.00 fare club but have cancelled all special $9.00 fares from AC to MYR.