Smilebox.com / They absolutely would not cancel my membership until after a year and would not refund the membership

My granddaughter asked if she could purchase an e-card for her mother for only $3.99. I allowed her to do this. The card was posted and we received an email that confirmed it was posted. I saw the email, but knew it was a confirmation, so did not open right away. About two weeks later my credit card was charged $40 for an annual membership. I watched my granddaughter purchase the card, so knew we did not agree to that. What I did not know, was there was a statement at the bottom of the confirmation email telling me that I now had a trial membership and if I did not respond within two weeks they would charge my card. They absolutely would not cancel my membership until after a year and would not refund the membership. I would never recommend this website.

Gr

Comments

19th of Jun, 2013

Smilebox Complaint: I tried to subscribe to a free offer of Smilebox after viewing a friend's slideshow but at the end of the registration I noticed a fee mentioned and I was no longer interested. I did not give my credit card number and I clicked on the box for "No Thanks." and thought that was the end of it. Instead I found Smilebox installed in my computer so I went to my programs and clicked uninstall. It did not work. Instead my computer went haywire and I could not get my MSN Home Page and could not get my emails. I finally gave up after several hours and called Microsoft who sent me to Hewlett Packard who sent me to HP Friend Services who charge $99.99. I asked them if they would charge if they could not fix the problem and was told there would be no charge. I spent about 4 hours on the computer with them until about 9 p.m missing dinner. They finally got my Home page up with "Safe Zone" in all four corners and said it was fixed. After I had dinner I tried to get on the Internet and my Home Page did not show up, and I could not get into my emails. I was back exactly as I had been when I accepted HP for help. They had my credit card number but I thought they would not charge me. So I stayed on the computer that same evening and got GuruAid and they fixed the problem in half the time for $169 plus two extra years of service for additional charge. I now had my computer working again. I called my bank the next day to see if HP Friend Services charged my account and was told it was pending for $99.99.(it is posted today). I called HP and was told it was not their policy to refund and that I was given the wrong information. How about that? I am a senior up in years and like my computer but I am about to give it up and just use it for word processing rather than the internet. I can get all the news in the newspaper and TV and use the U.S. mail service. Fraud and scams are rampant on the internet. .

25th of Nov, 2014

Today I checked my credit card account and found a charge from Smilebox, . Unlike the above person, I NEVER have used Smilebox, and have NO idea where they got my credit card number from...It is IMPOSSIBLE to reach a live body there I have sent an email but expect it to be ignored or as mentioned above they are just going to say "SORRY"...
    I am going to dispute it on my credit card IMMEDIATELY...

• Tr
      6th of Aug, 2017

I have just received am email from Smile Box to say that my subscription, that I have had for 7 years, is due to expire. I reviewed all of my statements and I have found that I have been paying $39.95 for 7 years! I think I may have used this to create an e-card all those years ago, but have never used it again.
    I have attempted to cancel my membership, but the Cancel page of the website, only takes me to the Change Password screen.
    What rip offs . What a crock.

• Fa
      13th of Aug, 2018

Having had a problem, of being wrongly charged during the 7 day free download period, which fortunately was sorted by Paypal xx. Thank goodness for PAYPAL!

I thought that I must have made some mistake with the7 day free trial!!

I was just going to try Smilebox again (with care ) after reading all these previous comments I don't think it wise.

Such a pity because it looks agreat site if only it could be trusted!
    Barbie Carson

• Fa
      13th of Aug, 2018

daren't join now.

• Li
      28th of Aug, 2018

I also have been experiencing the same issues. I cancelled this membership in January and now here in August I got another charge . They now owe me a total of ($55.92). May be there is a way we can all come together for a lawsuit and put this crooked company out of business.
    A. Gomez

• Ey
      15th of Oct, 2018
    Smilebox - unauthorized credit card charges !!!!!!!!

i was charged between aug or sept 2018
    my email
    eynav.r@gmail.com
    ...
    i would like a full refund for the amount that was taken from my credit card
    last 4 digits **** **** **** 2519

i only once used the website to create a photo album !