Singapore Airlines / problem with check in procedure!
Since this is a complaint letter, I am not going to be too polite. Having heard that Singapore airlines is one of the BEST airlines in the world, I decided to fly Singapore airlines direct from Newark to Singapore. It was the most embarrassing and disappointing experience as a SINGAPOREAN to witness the inadequacy of your staff and policy during my check-in.
I booked my ticket quite a while back (probably approximately 3 months) for my trip on Dec 17, 2007. Since then, I lost my credit card and have to get a replacement from the SAME credit card company. I know that I need to have my credit card during check in to verify, thus I brought my new card along. If you are not aware, in USA, people use credit card often and if you have a replacement card, it automatically nullify the canceled card and usually a new card would suffice for verification since my name, social security and many other information can be verified through the bank. However, when I was checking in, I was told to PURCHASE a new ticket since I don't have my canceled card. I was shocked and disgusted by the fact that I have paid for my ticket via singaporeair.com and now an incompetent staff of yours wants me to purchase another ticket? I told her that when I check-in online, I was informed that I need to have the credit card that I use to purchase my ticket to check in, in which I did. It NEVER mentioned what I need to do if I have a new card from the SAME credit card company with the SAME statement but different card number. However, as a "courtesy" gesture, she would accept a fax from my credit card company to proof that I owned my canceled card. I was rather upset since what she make me go through was not "courtesy" but just lame and poor customer service. FIRSTLY, the ticket was purchase by me with my name from the same credit card company, thus it is already proof that I purchased the ticket. SECONDLY, I called the credit card company and the person from my credit card company talked to her and informed her that I purchased my air ticket at what day for what amount of money. Credit card company won't allow such confidential information given out without my consent. Luckily, my credit card company agreed to fax my CONFIDENTIAL information to ther staff. With that said, for security reasons, I probably would cancel my current card since my credit card information is probably circulated somewhere around already!
That is not the end. I was asked to sign a document that is obviously grotesquely outdated. It was an "irregularity of travel document". Here are the clause:
" I have to acknowledge that:
1) "Singapore airlines has drawn to the fact that I do not possess a valid visa/travel document to the port of destination/my travel document has expired and/or is not valid for travel/health papers are not in order and has informed me that these irregularities have to be put right before the said travel should be undertaken"
2)I nevertheless appreciating the full consequences, elect to travel as scheduled on the above mentioned flight
I make an addendum to the form I signed above since I do have all my travel documents (Passport/Visa/Green card/E-ticket) except for a nullified Credit card that has a replacement with the same name, same credit card company with the same statement, social security...
Being a world class airlines, I am just upset by what I have to go through and I am very confident that I would not travel SIA in any near future after my return flight and would not even encourage any one I know to do so since I am just so embarrassed by SIA and as a Singaporean, that I don't want anyone, especially friends from USA to be subjected to this kind of incompetency.
Dr. Kok-heng Chong
More Singapore Airlines Complaints & Reviews
- Singapore Airlines - refusal of compensation for delayed flights 
- Silkair (Singapore Airlines) - never received our refund 
- Singapore Airlines - lost/delayed baggage 
- Singapore Airlines - lost property and damaged bag
- Singapore Airlines - bad service 
- Singapore Airlines - security check in at siem reap with sq5001 - silkair
- Singapore Airlines - damaged luggage bag
- Singapore Airlines - mishandling of check-in luggage cause luggage handle damaged upon received at zurich airport
- Singapore Airlines - singapore airlines
- Singapore Airlines - damages to baggages and appalling services provided by cabin crew