Shopper Discounts / fraudulant credit card charges

Phone: 800-889-8776

In June I purchased items from swimsutsforall.com. The charge appeared on my credit card on 6/15/09. In July I was hospitalized so my brother handled my bills for me. When my August credit card statement arrived I noticed a charge for $12 from ‘SHOPPER DISCOUNTS”. I knew that I had not purchased anything from this company. I could not figure out how they had gotten my credit card information. I looked up my July statement and found that there had been a $12 charge from "SHOPPER DISCOUNTS" in July as well as August.

I immediately called the 800 number that appeared on the credit card statement. They had an option on the menu for people who want to cancel unwanted subscriptions. This indicated to me that they have a large volume of callers who want to cancel their subscriptions.

I waited to talk to a customer service representative because I wanted to know how they got my credit card information. The woman I spoke with was not the least bit surprised that I had no idea what this repeated $12 charge was for. When I told her that I wanted the $24 refunded she did so without asking a question. This indicates to me that “SHOPPERS DISCOUNTS” is aware that customers are being tricked into signing up for their program. When I inquired how they got my credit card number I was told that at the time I purchased the items from www.swimsuitsforall.com I was aked if I would like a coupon for $10 off of my next purchase. When I checked “yes” my credit card information was automatically sent to “shoppers discounts”. This is an outrageous practice.

I am very careful about giving out my credit card information yet I was duped into signing up for this fraudulent discount. Thankfully, I go over my credit card statements to make sure all charges are legitimate so I caught the fraudulent charges. I know that there are many people who never check their statements because their bills are paid automatically. I called my friend to warn her about this scam because I know that she shops online and doesn’t always check her statements. I urged her to go over her credit card statements and sure enough, she had several charges from “Shoppers Discounts”.

I decided to google the name “Shoppers Discounts” so that I could send a written complaint. I was stunned to see how many people have been tricked into signing up for this “service”. The scammers seems to operate under several names. I assume that people have not lodged complaints to the BBB because “shopper's discounts” refunds their money without asking questions.

Sincerely,
Janine Sedore

Comments

• Al
      18th of Sep, 2009

I have the same thing for last one year they have been charging $ 12 every month for more than one year.I called up the Credit card company they didn't do anything.So I called them up fraud shoppers discount 1-800 no they revered six months @ $12.And asked me to fill out a form which they send me online to claim the other six months amounts.
    My question is should I do that to claim the rest by filling up the form?

Please let me know.