Sciencelab.com / Bait and switch with cheaper product

On July 13, 2009, I ordered twenty (20) Hydrion pH pencils, which look like normal pencils, with about 7" of usable pH material. I was charged a total of $596.41 ($28.46 per pencil plus $27.21 for shipping) using my credit card. Sciencelab.com received the money on the same day. On 7/14, I received a notice that the product was backordered, and should arrive within 10 business days. On 8/3 and 8/13, I requested an update. They replied on 8/14, the products would ship that day. On 8/20, I received a shipment from them, but the items were wrong. They shipped 20 mechanical-type pencils instead of the conventional pencil-type that I ordered. The mechanical pencils have less than 1.5" of usable pH material, compared to the 7.0" of usable material that the conventional pencil has. The mechanical type of pH pencil can be purchased elsewhere for around $10 per pencil, much cheaper than the ones I ordered. I immediately sent an email on 8/20 notifying them of the error and tried to call them several times on 8/21, but no one answered. I sent another email on 8/23 but again no reply. I sent a third email on 8/27. Finally I received a reply, but it just informed me that the conventional pH pencils were discontinued, so they sent me the mechanical ones instead. Since I did not order the mechanical pH pencils and I did not agree to purchase or accept the mechanical pH pencils, I asked by email for a full refund on 8/27 and again on 8/31. Sciencelab.com again ignored my requests. I sent another email on 9/4 in which I threatened to file a claim with you if I did not hear from them with a fair resolution by 9/9. At last I received their reply on 9/8 in which they insist that I received my order in full and they will not issue a refund. Sciencelab.com charge me $28.46 per pencil for ones that are worth less than $10 per pencil and provide less than 1.5" of usable pH material rather than the 7" ones I ordered. They did so without my agreement and insist that I have to accept it. I think this is fraud and theft.

Je

More Sciencelab.com Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ih
      28th of Sep, 2009

Yeah, that's definitely fraud and theft. I've filed reports with several different agencies in hopes of getting these folks shut down after a similar problem where I flat out did not receive the product that I was billed for... I really would like to see the owners of this company thrown in jail and fined. Rob and Stacey Tyler, the two of you are thieves.

• He
      22nd of Feb, 2010

I am also a victim of sciencelab.com.

Order Number:61829
    Placed : 04/15/2009 18:00:29 CDT

Code Name Quantity Price/Ea. Total
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SLC1345-1G Colchicine, USP: 1 g 1 $137.54 $137.54
    SLD2212-500ML Dimethyl Sulfoxide, 98%: 500 ml 1 $69.29 $69.29
    SLP2974-500ML Propylene Glycol, USP: 500 ml 2 $55.27 $110.54
    Hazardous Material Fee: $35.00
    Shipping: UPS Ground: $27.21
    Sales Tax: $0.00
    Total: $379.58

========================
    The Colchine and Dimethyl Sulfoxide were backordered for over 4 months. I told them to forget about the backordered items, and only send the the Propylene Glycol. Apparently, this is teh fraudster's modus operandi. They charge you for back ordered items, but they are never sent, at which time it is too late to reverse the charges with your credit card company.

The never refunded me the difference.

They don't answer phone calls or return emails.

• Sc
      13th of Jul, 2010

Ditto here; ordered an item, it was backordered, we were charged, the order was finally cancelled when they couldn't deliver, we were promised a refund check for months and months, 9 months later, still waiting. Have called numerous times, left messages, rarely get a person on the phone, they don't even promise that they are sending a check. DON'T BUY FROM THEM!!!

• Mi
      26th of Apr, 2011
    Science Lab.com - no refunds
    Michigan

An order placed in 3/10 went unfulfilled without any notification from Science Lab.com. After numerous phone calls starting 6 weeks later, I learned they were out the the products and had no idea when they might arrive, if ever. Why was I not informed by them? I asked for a refund now that 3 months passed and they said only credit; problem is I did not want anything else from them. Got nowhere for another 2 months and finally insisted to speak with a supervisor, which was a chore. She promised a refund within a day but lied. Instead, I revceived an order of the items 10 months after placing it. How useless was that, plus 2 of the products were damaged? I will never do business with them again, nor do I recommend anyone to them. There are better sources. Their customer service is a failure.

7th of Jun, 2011

These people are crooks. I'm glad we only lost $150 after reading all these reviews.

• Dr
      5th of Apr, 2015

All the previous posts are from 2011 and before. This is 2015, and they are still at it. I am another fool that fell for it. Same story. They charge immediately, Item never arrives, call them back and they say they are really busy and short-handed. Item still does not arrive. I ask them to cancel the order. They ignore calls and never return them. I will probably request my bank and/or paypal a chargeback. We will see what happens. I just wonder how they can still be up and at it after so many years..

• Oh
      8th of Apr, 2015

I also had an issue of non-shipment. After more than 2 years of excuses, Stacey Tyler generously offered to send me $50 from her personal Paypal account. Of course the original charge was almost three times that.