Sars / Waiting 1 year for a refund

1 United States

I submitted my tax return in person at newlands sars branch, pretoria in november 2008. Waited for 2 hours in line-up. When it was my turn to see official, the power went off & they could not tell us how long it will be off. Official who helped us promised he would submit our return the moment the power is back. Needless to say it never happened. I left for canada in dec 2008 on a work contract and tried to get information from sars. Cannot reach anyone and have been kept on hold for more than 40 minutes at a time. There were many efforts since decembe2008-august 2009 to get somebody at sars to respond. At last there was reply from sars requesting supporting documents with a deadline. It was send to my previous postal address after I changed my address, my 2008 retun had my new address on and I confirmed with the official where I submitted my return to make sure they have the new address. I scanned the requested documents, e-mailed to my daughter who gave it in at sars newlands. Now they say it will take 1 year to finalize return. They owe me money. Sars should pay interest if they don't pay your money back in time. Very bad service. Wonder where my 2009 return is. Get no response.